• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7500 Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

APD242

Hello. I am having trouble connecting my APX7500 radio to the CPS software. I have the O3 handheld controller, therefore I am connecting the programming cable to the radio itself. On the radio is a typical round twist type connection similar to the xtl1500 mobiles. Also there is a serial connection which I am trying to use to program. The CPS wont detect the radio through the USB port. I tried numerous computers, all no result. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

vans113

Premium Subscriber
Never used this remote head only used 05 remote heads and they have a spot. If not I think you can program on the blue plug on the radio itself but I'm un sure on this

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Tech792

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Did you mess with the port settings in the CPS? I think its up top under "file". The CPS might be set to a USB port you're not using. (Don't have it on this PC otherwise I would look) You might have to change them or try different USB ports on the PC.

jim202

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Did you mess with the port settings in the CPS? I think its up top under "file". The CPS might be set to a USB port you're not using. (Don't have it on this PC otherwise I would look) You might have to change them or try different USB ports on the PC.

The port setting is important. If you don't tell the computer what port to use, serial or USB, it will never find the radio.

It is also better to start the radio software up and get it running before you make the connection to the radio. If the drivers are not set up already in the software, it won't work. So letting the software start up and be ready for the radio, when you attempt to make the radio connection, the software should install the driver needed if it has never done that before. The software is contained within the CPS.

The other item to be aware of is the computer giving out with the audio tones that it sees the interface cable when you connect it to the computer. It should all ready be connected to the radio first.

Depending on the cable your using, it could be the round mic type connector that would plug into the round mic connector looking connection on the faceplate of the radio or the DB connector on the radio. No RIB box is required for these cables. The accessory connector is probably a serial connection and you would need to set the software accordingly. However, there is USB connections there and you could make your own cable if needed. I have done this before.

Let us know how you make out.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Typically plugging a usb programming cable into the gcai port on the front of the drawer results in a "NO USB" message on the O3 control head.

Get a 26 pin accessory port programming cable. It can be a usb or serial cable. Or buy the cheaper one and add the pins to make the other.

APD242

Thanks so much for the replies! I am using a small Motorola serial plug which in turn goes into a larger pin plug on the top of the radio. For some reason, the computer is not recognizing that the radio is connected to the radio via usb. I will try to post a photo of the cable to ensure I am using the right cable

APD242

I tried to upload the photo, but couldnt. I am connecting to the radio 25 pin by using the stock accessory cable which connects to a small motorola 26 pin connector. Does this make sense?

wsykes41770

Correct cable

The APX7500 can ONLY be programmed through USB. Make sure you have the red ignition wire plugged into 12VDC or you won't be able to program the radio. The latest version of the APX CPS is version R12.01.00. It was just released a few weeks ago. You have to have the control head plugged in and the radio turned on or it won't work. Insure that your USB ports on your computer are working as well. If not, then you won't have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.