• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Apx8000 Fail 01/A0

BlackSheepDue

This morning my apx8000 decided it didn’t feel like working today. I’m getting fail code 01/A0 which from what I can find means “ABACUS Tune Failure Fatal Error”

It worked fine yesterday. I did drop it from my back pocket but that’s not the first time. It also spent last night in my truck and it got down into the mid 20’s I believe.

What exactly does this fail code mean and what is my best course of action? Does it need to go back to Motorola or is this something a dealer could fix?

merlin

These are awful, rugged radios, but nothing is bullet proof.
Get a secure holster for it.

BlackSheepDue

These are awful, rugged radios, but nothing is bullet proof.
Get a secure holster for it.
I've been running the newer style belt clip that covers the speaker side of the radio instead of the screen side so I always have a belt clip but I was lazy and clipped it to my pocket instead of my belt. I don't like the original belt clip as much because I'm always taking it out to look at the screen.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
On a whim I took it apart to a degree and reassembled it and now the fail code is gone and it seems to be working just fine. Fingers crossed!

Possibly a flex connector/cable that got misaligned when you dropped it. Happened to me once; fortunately it was a work radio so the repair didn't cost me a cent. Once I knew what it was I was able to fix future occurrences on other radios.

nikronzo

I've been running the newer style belt clip that covers the speaker side of the radio instead of the screen side so I always have a belt clip but I was lazy and clipped it to my pocket instead of my belt. I don't like the original belt clip as much because I'm always taking it out to look at the screen.
is this an OEM holster or a 3rd party one that allows the radio to be screen side exposed?

N4KVE

boggles the mind how $9k give or take boils down to a dozen in change tiny parts. I would be petrified to disassemble my 8k like that
Well you’re paying for all the developmental costs, including the salaries of the engineering team, assembly robots, & a few extra thousand because it’s Motorola. Probably costs less than 1K to make.

hitechRadio

On the original case, it is easy enough to remove the radio while on your side.
There are 3 dimples on the case, place thumb on the 3 dimples and with fingers push up, radio comes right out... Easy Peasy.

Not saying your one, but many people that purchase that bulky (speaker side) clip to show off the display side (back side) to people, while wearing on there side. IMO.

BlackSheepDue

On the original case, it is easy enough to remove the radio while on your side.
There are 3 dimples on the case, place thumb on the 3 dimples and with fingers push up, radio comes right out... Easy Peasy.

Not saying your one, but many people that purchase that bulky (speaker side) clip to show off the display side (back side) to people, while wearing on there side. IMO.
Oh I'm well aware of how to remove the radio from the original case and put it back in for that matter. I do still use it some but for my day to day the speaker side clip is way more convenient. Most of the time the radio sits on a desk or table and I just clip it to a pocket or my belt if I'm up walking around. I use a 7000 on a radio strap for calls.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What are each of the boards?
The one next to the speaker is the Expansion Board, the one in the center of the photo is the Transceiver Board, and the small one to the right of that is the VOCON Board.

1670915331832.png