• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX8000 Multiple Scan Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
In the cps I can create multiple Scan lists, however, I can't find them on the radio after I write the radio. Does anyone have an idea how I can get the multiple Scan Lists to write to the radio?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Scan lists are assigned to conventional or trunked personalities. One scan list per personality. That assignment cannot be modified via the radio's interface, however you are able to modify the scan list members via the radio's interface.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
If I have multiple personalities and each oen has it's own scan list, how do I select the scan list? Or do you mean profiles, not personalities?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I mean personalities.

Every channel in a Zone must first be created in a trunked or conventional personality. Multiple talkgroups or frequencies can exist within each personality. Each personality can be assigned a single scan list.

The end result is that whatever channel the radio is on, it will look to the scan list assigned to the personality it belongs to, and uses that scan list.

If you're asking if you can change what scan list a particular channel uses, the answer is no. You cannot change scan list assignments using the radio; it must be done using CPS.

ME801

I found out the hard way years ago each channel (mode) has to have a personality assigned to it. After you create the personality, you can assign that personality to as many channels (modes) that you want to.
I found a XTS that has over 300 channels, every channel was assigned to the same personality (yes it didn't work very well!).

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Bear with me here, please...

I set up personalities A, B, C
I set up a Scan List in personalities A & C (Scan List A & C)
I have frequency 1 that I want to put in Scan List A & C.
I need to put frequency 1 in Personality A & C

Is this correct?

If so, if I put the radio on frequency 1, how does it know which scan list to scan? Or will it scan both lists since it's in both lists.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You seem to be missing the fundamental principle of how the Personality to Zone to Scan List relationship works in APX CPS.

- You create a Personality
- You add one or more frequencies to that Personality
- You create a Zone
- You add Channels to that Zone by choosing from the frequencies you created in the Personality
- You create a Scan List
- You add members to that Scan List by choosing from the Channels you added to the Zone
- You go back and assign that Scan List to the Personality

The scan list that is used depends entirely on what Channel the radio is on, because that determines which Personality is in use, which of course determines which Scan List is in use.

The frequency itself is irrelevant. You could assign 155.550 to ten different personalities and scan lists; what matters is WHICH "155.550" is the radio currently on, i.e. which Personality is in use, and that alone determines the Scan List.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I understand the CPS up to the last 2 paragraphs. Let me see if I understand the last 2 paragraphs correctly...

I work 3 stations. Stations 1 & 2 cover the same town. Stations 2 & 3 cover the same town. I set up personalities for stations 1, 2, 3. Town A is in personality 1 & 2. Town B is in personality 2 & 3.

I have zones set up for stations 1, 2, 3. I have scan lists set up; 1, 2, 3. The channels in the scan lists are from the respective zones. Scan lists 1, 2, 3 are selected in the respective personalities.

In this set up, if I put the radio on the channel for town A, the scan list it scans would be dependent upon which zone I am in (since each zone is references a different personality). Is that correct?

From what I can tell, the personality is CPS programmed/selected, not selected via the radio. IS that correct?

I apologize for being difficult, I'm just trying to understand this whole scan list thing.

crazyboy

It doesn't matter what zone you are in, or what channel you are on for that matter. Whatever personality is referenced by that channel/zone is going to be the scan list that is used.

The personality is selectable via the zone/channel combinations from the radio, any other settings are done via CPS

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
So if I want Anytown, USA to be in multiple scan lists, it needs to be in multiple personalities so that each zone that references each personality sees that channel. Is that correct?

crazyboy

No, reread GTR's post. It is on point. Really not complex nor different from past models.

Status
Not open for further replies.