• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX8000 Scan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Is the APX8000 limited to 10 channels when scanning trunked, like the XTS 3000 and XTS2500?

I am looking into this radio to combine three radios down to one, however the ideal scan list, mixed trunked and conventional, would be 14 channels.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
channels or talkgroups? APX series can scan 50 talkgroups in Priority Monitor mode, 250 talkgroups divided between 5 systems in Multi System mode, and 30 channels in Conventional mode.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The 2500/5000 can actually scan 15 talkgroups, I just can't recall if that's a hack or there's a simple trick to making it happen. Either way, it's well known and has been discussed for many years, easy enough to find on Google. Actually it's technically 15+1, since the priority talkgroup doesn't have to be in the scan list when using 'Selected', thus freeing up a spot.

In any case, no, the APX series (all models) is not nearly as limited. You can have up to 50 talkgroups per system in an APX scan list.

sefrischling

Sorry, Channels that can be scanned per scan list.

For the XTS 3000/2500 it is 15 channels that can be scanned for a conventional scan list, 10 channels that can be scanned for a trunked scan list , even if a mix of trunked and conventional.

Public safety for my town, the town immediately to my east and towns immediately to my west, is comprised of VHF, UHF, 800/3200 baud SmartZone Type II with digital voice and 800/9600 baud P25. The APX8000 looks like the obvious way to get this into a single radio making my life easier as I operate in a number of towns. That said, the core channels I monitor make up 14 channels I'd need in a scan list that is mixed trunked and conventional.

As for the 15+1, that is for conventional, not trunked with the Astro Saber, XTS3000, XTS2500 and XTS5000. Trunked is 10, not 10+1, even if mixed trunked and conventional in a single scan list. If you're saying the XTS2500 can do 15 TG per scan list, I need to go look at the CPS again, because I was always under the impresssion I was limited to 10 like the previous XTS/Astro Saber models.

Anyway, if the APX can handle 50 channels per scan list that is 36 more than I need ... perfect!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Normally in a talkgroup scan, you get 10 scan channels. There's a hack which will allow up to 16 channels.

On the apx, with a mixed system scan, you get 10 conventional channels and up to 50 changes from 5 different trunking systems each for up to 250 trunking channels.

sefrischling

On the apx, with a mixed system scan, you get 10 conventional channels and up to 50 changes from 5 different trunking systems each for up to 250 trunking channels.

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know. Now to figure out how to fund the radio and go from four portables down to one. This seems far easier and more logical for working and making sure my pants stay up.

sefrischling

One more APX8000 question ... I think I have found all the info i need, except this ... is it possible to set up a Trunked Talk Group as RX only?

I'd like to add in the PD/FD from one town over, on the same trunking system, but if possible just add them in as RX only. My XTS3000 and XTS2500 do not allow for this, and while I've yet to "oops" , I'd just feel more comfortable if possible setting them up as RX only, as I do with some some conventional channels.

Thanks

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
One more APX8000 question ... I think I have found all the info i need, except this ... is it possible to set up a Trunked Talk Group as RX only?

I'd like to add in the PD/FD from one town over, on the same trunking system, but if possible just add them in as RX only. My XTS3000 and XTS2500 do not allow for this, and while I've yet to "oops" , I'd just feel more comfortable if possible setting them up as RX only, as I do with some some conventional channels.

Thanks

As far as I know, you can only set a TRS personality as rx only. So if you duplicated the personality, just set the second one as rx only and add in those specific tgs. Now this will still result in affiliation whether or not that is an issue for you.

sefrischling

Thanks Austin.

Affiliating isn't an issue, my 3000 and 2500 affiliate with the system and IDs work for all departments and towns on the system. I just always get a tad panic'd that I'll hit transmit by accident on another town's channels when listening in. I have them in the radios now, but would prefer to have TX inhibit if possible.

Last edited:

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Austin.

Affiliating isn't an issue, my 3000 and 2500 affiliate with the system and IDs work for all departments and towns on the system. I just always get a tad panic'd that I'll hit transmit by accident on another town's channels when listening in. I have them in the radios now, but would prefer to have TX inhibit if possible.

So what you can do is go into the CPS and under your menu options add TX Inhibit. Do that for trunking menu. That should work for your case.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So what you can do is go into the CPS and under your menu options add TX Inhibit. Do that for trunking menu. That should work for your case.

Well not really, since he needs to transmit on some channels/talkgroups. TX INHIBIT is a radio-wide option, and will disable all transmitting (conventional and trunking), including authorized registration/affiliation.

Put the RX-only talkgroups in a separate personality that has the Transmit Mode set to TG/AG Disabled. You can then add those talkgroups to a zone and scan list, and won't be able to transmit on them, without affecting anything else in the radio.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Well not really, since he needs to transmit on some channels/talkgroups. TX INHIBIT is a radio-wide option, and will disable all transmitting (conventional and trunking), including authorized registration/affiliation.

Put the RX-only talkgroups in a separate personality that has the Transmit Mode set to TG/AG Disabled. You can then add those talkgroups to a zone and scan list, and won't be able to transmit on them, without affecting anything else in the radio.

Correct that is what I initially suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.