• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Apx8500 remote unit won’t power on

Rlosycer

I wired in my apx8500 with 05 head and DEK siren to a 12v power supply temporarily for programming purposes. Unfortunately, I failed to notice a stray ground wire touching one of the pins on the VIP connector on the back of the dek. When I plugged in the power supply the siren amplifier made an audible air horn sound and then the radio turned off. Now I can’t get it to power back on. Is there an internal fuse in either the control head or the brick that may have been shorted out?

Tech21

Did you have the fuses in line still on your cables going to the power supply?

Yes, there are internal fuses. Somebody with access to the detailed service manual can probably post screenshots or share the manual.

Do you have a multimeter?

Have you check the voltage output from your power supply to make sure you didn't fry it?

Have you taken the dek and control head out of the loop and only powered on the transceiver itself and plugged your programming cable directly to it?

Rlosycer

Did you have the fuses in line still on your cables going to the power supply?

Yes, there are internal fuses. Somebody with access to the detailed service manual can probably post screenshots or share the manual.

Do you have a multimeter?

Have you check the voltage output from your power supply to make sure you didn't fry it?

Have you taken the dek and control head out of the loop and only powered on the transceiver itself and plugged your programming cable directly to it?
I had inline fuses but they may have been too large because they didn’t blow. Also I don’t have a programming cable that will fit in the transceiver, I only have the one that plugs into the mic port on the front of the control head

Tech21

It's identical. On a remote mount 8500, you have, from left to right, 1 programming port and 2 control cable ports. It may have a dust cover on the programming port.

Rlosycer

Gotcha I see that now. I Apologize, I’m new to these radios.

I’ll power up just the brick and see if I get anything with the programming cable in CPS