AR-3000A power connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK2BCK

Greetings, my AR-3000A needs a new power plug (never got the original one) but the socket seems special. At the moment I am using two separate core-less tube-like ends pulled of a standard PC component power connector. Fits very well actually, but I am not looking forward the day when I will swap them wrong way around. Is there anything else using the same 3-pin connector I can fish it out from? I was thinking of replacing the socket completely but...

Jan

Attachments

• IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,532

byndhlptom

AR300a power

A couple of options...

A)I believe that the early 1200-2400 baud hayes modems used the same connector. Find one of the p/s, cut off the connector and splice it in. If I remember correctly, they were in black extruded cases.

B) just remove the AR's factory connector, replace with a standard coaxial connector. Cut up a small piece of aluminum, mount with the two factory mount holes, drill a hole in the middle for the coaxial connector.

I've done both before (several of the Mxxxx series scanners used the same connector (they were made by AOR)

tom

OK2BCK

Found one of the modems and investigated where is the power supply, then I got it -THANKS!
Yesterday I have finally used it, and also modified radio's antenna connector to Ntype.

dkf435

Parts for AR3000/A

rfrobins on ebay sell kits with case, controls,knobs, power cable and rear connectors for the AR3000/A radios just keep checking his auctions and they pop up

David

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
Found one of the modems and investigated where is the power supply, then I got it -THANKS!
Yesterday I have finally used it, and also modified radio's antenna connector to Ntype.
How difficult was the N connector modification? Did you have to enlarge the chassis hole? I do not recall seeing available a chassis mount N connector that would fit without some drilling...pictures perhaps?

Henry, KK4HG

OK2BCK

No worries, all I did was removing all the main boards, then wrapping the front panel circuits with piece of plastic and duck tape. To enlarge the connector hole, I have used round file.

Good luck with your modification!

Status
Not open for further replies.