Ar 8200 mk 2 p25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ar 8200 mk 3 p25

I have a AR8200 Mk 3 I just purchased and love it. But my countys public safety system just went to a P25 system. So I'm assuming this aor receiver will not be able to receive this type of signal even with any of aor's add on's. (cards etc.)

I will be keeping this unit but expect I will now have to purchase a digital scanner like a GRE 500 or 600.

Appreciate any opinions.

Thanks
HiCountry

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

AOR makes a P25 add on, and is marketed for the 8600, 5000 and other high end receivers. Do not see why it would not work with the 8200. Think it goes for $350.00 ish......

Still conventional here in Pittsburgh.

ikea50us

hi high country trader, my name is ike and my email is ikea50us@yahoo.com. please let me know what you find out about the digtal card for your ar8200 mk3 as i also have one and like mine very much. would like to try it out if it works. thank you. dwight d. icenhower [han call ka8gzw]

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The AOR 8200 series are not "Trunk-Tracking" scanners. So they will not follow a trunked system properly, even with the P25 option.

Their license states its a conventional system. I don't know if that just means its not digital or not trunked. I have found there isn't the perfect receiver i.e. scanner as yet. Appears that GRE and Uniden have some good units for p25 trunked systems.

Thanks
Rick

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Their license states its a conventional system. I don't know if that just means its not digital or not trunked. I have found there isn't the perfect receiver i.e. scanner as yet. Appears that GRE and Uniden have some good units for p25 trunked systems.

Thanks
Rick

If it's not a TRS, but is P25 digital, then the AOR w/P25 option should work.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I believe the P25 option card is for the larger desktop radio such as the 8600. There is no room inside the 8200 for such an addition.

scannersnstuff

they already rip you enough for the add on card's. is it just me or is it too much to expect spending $600.00 on a receiver and getting pl/dpl built in ?. granted they are supposed to be nice,but you also have to spend an eternity figuring the thing out.

I have to agree with you. They should have an online AOR college for this unit. Granted it can pick up almost any analog signal out there. But is a difficult unit to learn. As it is I now need to sell it and get a digital unit for my area, Didn't think my area here would go P25 for quite awhile but they did.

RC

scannersnstuff

trust me. if i wanted to take that long to figure thing's out. i would have figured my wife out long ago !.
btw - if she read's this you'll see my obit. tomorrow.

MOTOROLANUT

Aor

P25 digital is why I sold my AOR 8000 and Yupiteru 7100, they wont do trunking either..
But you have to remember AOR markets these units as receivers not scanners. So if you still listen to Ham, SW, LW and Mil Air the AOR will fit the bill. If you want a good scanner try the Radio Shack 106, Uniden 996XT or GRE 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.