AR-DV1 FIRMWARE UPDATE v1702D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mescalero

RELEASE NOTES

(c)2017 AOR, LTD.

Feb.20, 2017

This update will correct issues that some customers experienced, it also adds more functionality to the AR-DV1.
AOR is committed to the continuous improvement of its products and will post firmware updates periodically to further extend the capabilities of this receiver.

IMPORTANT!
This firmware update will clear all your channel, bank and configuration memory data. It is therefore advised to make a backup on SD card as described chapter 5-2 of the user manual, and to restore this data after the firmware update.

The following bugs have been fixed:
- CTCSS and DCS frequencies did not appear in (Digital) AUTO mode.
- Wav recordings on SD: Approx. every minute, 300ms of audio was missing from the data.
- D-STAR signal information stayed sometimes on display even though frequency has been changed.
- D-STAR would sometimes decode only when frequency set 2kHz up.

The following features have been improved:
- Wav recordings on SD now with less background noise.

The following features have been added:
- Added support for “reverse tone” squelch in CTCSS. To enable this feature, F+1 then turn the dial until [RTN] appears and validate with ENT. The frequency of the reverse tone is set in CTCSS parameters. The reverse tone squelch is a function to mute (close) the squelch only when AR-DV1 receives a frequency matching the programmed tone frequency. It unmutes (opens) the squelch when it receives a frequency which is not the programmed tone frequency. This function is not generally used in ham radio operation, but rather by some taxi and bus drivers.
-“Reverse tone” argument added for the tone squelch command “CI”. The argument is n=2.
- D-CR user code now displayed.

AR-DV1 Firmware 1702D | Firmware Updates | Download Area | Support | AOR U.S.A., INC. Authority On Radio Communications

Test in progress

MStep

There are still plenty of items that most of us wished that the DV1 would do (I'd personally like to see wide-band Fusion, since that is used in Amateur Radio), but I think that with each firmware upgrade, it's always a good idea to make sure that we haven't inadvertently lost any functions.

I have not had an opportunity to put 1702D through the full rigors yet. My complaint about CTCSS and DCS tones not displaying in AUTO mode appears to have been addressed. I also like the fact that the have introduced the "reverse tone" function--- it can be very handy under certain circumstances.

My DV1's had to be returned to AOR in Torrance for a warranty repair---- I was lucky to have a friend who was able to loan me his. Within the next week or two, I will post my full experience with AOR's repair service. Until then, I'll be using my friend's DV1 to test of 1702D to make sure we didn't lose any of the existing features of the DV1.

hth999

I loaded the new firmware last night. I have not fully tested it, however on the AOR firmware instructions it states you should back up your data, because it will clear all your Channel, Bank and Memory data. I found this is NOT the case in my update. All my banks and memories are still in place. Did AOR correct this, or was I just lucky none of my data was erased?

G7HID

With the earlier firmware updates the banks and memories were cleared, but for the last year or so the updates have not done any clearing.
Like any updating a back up of the data is a good idea - just in case..

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Backing Up Notice

Absolutely right, Mike.

AOR are covering themselves in case anything goes wrong, and I do not blame them for that.

The problem is that at some time in the future there will be another update that does clear saved data, and as the last few did not, despite the 'warning', some people will ignore it.

All depends on whether people want to take the risk, and as you say it does not hurt to backup just in case. It does not take long either manually, and even faster via CAT software.

When I do a backup, I always make a copy of it on my P.C. too. Of course that involves physically removing the SD Card but considering they have a limited life span, worth the extra few minutes I think.

So far I have found no problems actually produced by 1702D, and I have done a lot of testing of course re. eSPYonARD.

hth999

When I read the firmware update instructions, it tells you to back up your data. In fact I think it mentions the page number or section in the manual. Of course i have backed up my data. But maybe AOR should take the warning phrase out of the firmware instructions, saying you will lose all data, and perhaps replace it with " It's a good idea to always back up your data before every firmware update in case there is any data loss or corruption " Just my opinion. My radio is working fine with 1702D, however, in my location I cannot test every aspect of the radio's capability. In my world and using my data and memories it's now working fine. It also helps to use a PAR FM filter, and a PAR AM BCB filter. My radio was not usable until I got these filters from PAR. They are working real well.

Status
Not open for further replies.