AR-DV1 AR-DV1 power supply

justin86

I treated myself to an AR-DV1 for Christmas. To be honest, the device is not a favorite, the AR-DV1 just looks too ugly for that and in terms of operation it is not exactly intuitive to use. But the features in the area of digital modes and the continuous product development (regular firmware updates over the years) convinced me.

The included power adapter was criticized in some AR-DV1 reviews in Internet forums. What are you using? I once hung the supplied PSU on an oscilloscope and identified glitches in the range of 5 to 6 MHz (I'm just an amateur - the measurements can also be incorrect). At my powerstation (disconnected from the normal power line) I get interference signals in the range of 1 KHz at the 12V output, which probably shouldn't disturb the scanner too much. A power bank of mine has far fewer interference signals on the 12V output, but at 200 KHz.

And then another question: Is it normal when you turn on the AC adaptor/PowerStation/PowerBank and they are connected to the AR-DV1 (which is not turned on !!!) that the display flickers briefly?

Last edited:

AOR-262

The supplied power supplies are just to get most people going right out of the box. It is highly likely the PSU is switching or will give of some RF interference that will cause interference - typically somewhere below 30 MHz. Your investment should be looking into a good quality Linear PSU. Some of the top-end Linear PSU's will cost you substantial money. However, a worthwhile investment.

I experienced tremendous RF interference from the AD-55NS power supply that came with my Icom IC-R8600. Listening to AM stations below 30 MHz on my AOR 8600 Mk2 were filled with a background buzzing noise. When my R8600 was powered from my Linear PSU the clarity of those same AM stations were as clear as day.

Get your DV-1 powered by a Linear PSU

:)

@justin86
I also have the original AOR power supply in the drawer.
I use a 4A / 13.8V power supply to operate the device. I could not observe any disturbances so far.
When I switch on the device, the display lights up briefly, which seems to be normal.

73 Mike

18cb002

I had an old 13.8 V PSU with an adequate transformer but under-rated transistors & heatsinks, which as expected failed. I replaced the electronics with a single TO-3 IC regulator and I use it exclusively for the DV1.

G8PTN

Hi, I use an old Kenwood PS-10 linear PSU with a built-in speaker which works nicely with the AR-DV1.
The DV1 should be okay at 13.8V, its specified voltage range is 10.8V to 16V.

1681760865553.png

The difference in current consumption is negligible between 12V and 13.8V as shown below. The current actually goes down as the voltage increases which implies there is DC-DC switch mode regulator inside the AR-DV1.

1681760891685.png

I can confirm that there is a short burst of display illumination when applying the DC power to the DV1, just before the clock display is shown. I think this is just the boot up behaviour of the receiver.
73, Dave