AR-DV1 USB FAULT on some recent Receivers

luckygecko

Well that does not happen on my AR-DV1, so 'strange' indeed, and a little worrying I feel. When my DV1 is powered down, connecting the USB cable results in the 'connection sound' from the P.C., and the loading of the Drivers, but certainly nothing else.

I wonder if anyone reading thus could please check and report if it happens on their Radio?

If so please quote the Serial Number.

I posted above and forgot to tag you. I should indicate that the USB cable without voltage on it does not work every time it's plugged into the PC. Nevertheless, it seems very wrong that the unit should show a boot screen with only the USB providing power. I could see where this could go wrong amperage wise. I'm not sure why there is not some diode or something keeping it from happening. So, maybe others will report and we can see if there is a collation between these serial numbers and this 'new' issue. So far I'm not been impressed at all with this receiver. I'm also not sure while in D-CR/NXDN mode I get a regular click and the display comes on.

SandBagger1

I don't get this either, when I plug in the USB cable into my PC I get the Windows "plug and play" sound weather there is power to the radio or not.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I don't get this either, when I plug in the USB cable into my PC I get the Windows "plug and play" sound weather there is power to the radio or not.
That has always happened on mine too. It presumably means the Radio's design is such that it uses 5v from the USB Cable to so something with its USB chip and return a message to the P.C.

However that is all, the USB power stops there, and the display certainly never lights up.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
RECENT AR-DV1'S WITH USB FAULT - WORLDWIDE ISSUE

It has become VERY IMPORTANT that much more information about the Receivers with the problem is co-ordinated.

Anyone about to buy a DV1, anyone who has purchased one recently which 'may' be faulty, and ESPECIALLY those that have already sent some details WILL need this information.

As of today I am aware of 9 instances, and in two of them the Customer has been charged for the repair by different Dealers concerned, after they insisted the DV1 had to be returned to Japan.

These are NEW Receivers. Sometimes the USB Port did not work on receipt, sometimes after no more than 2 days.

Even though it is likely a Court would decide that this falls under the Guarantee, and Consumer Rights Legislation, that is no help unless people take Legal Action. AOR and some Dealers are relying on them not doing that, 'pretending' it is a 'one off' matter.

The ONLY way to protect those concerned, is to be able to provide definite evidence to the Dealer that the fault exists in so many DV1's currently, they will know that if taken to Court the will lose.

Will those who have already contacted me, or intend to, supply as much information as possible, including

1. Date of purchase (approx if necessary)
2. From which Dealer was it purchased, the Name and Country
3. Did the Dealer accept responsibility and either refund the Customer, or supply another AR-DV1?
4. IF as in at least one case, the replacement had the same fault, what did the Dealer do?
5. In 3. and 4. above, please describe the how the Dealer approached this. Did they resist, etc.
6. Did the Dealer insist the Radio had to be returned to Japan, and either refuse or not offer any other course of action?
7. What is your current position, have you actually paid for the repair, or being asked to?
8. This will be important, your NAME. No other identifying details required but a Forum Nick Name will not be enough.
9. The Serial Number of your Radio

WHEN the above information is collated there will be concrete evidence the fault is not isolated, and safeguard new and current Customers.

ALL you need to do is Post here answering Parts 1 to 9 above. Best to follow the format, i.e. answer in numerical order as described above.

I will combine all the Posts, and keep the information updated. Then anyone concerned can quickly copy and paste those details, and use them appropriately.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
UPDATED LIST OF AR-DV1 SERIAL NUMBERS with USB FAULT - 25 June 2020

09524317 (bought in France)
09524372 (Dealer (England) replaced re faulty 09524373 - Buyer now refunded)
09524373 (bought in England
09524391 (bought in Europe)
09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers))
09524470 (bought in England)
09524500 (bought in Finland)

I have been told about other DV1's with the fault, but the Serial Numbers were not recorded before being sent back.

It is very likely more of this bad batch have been sold, or are awaiting sale. As you can see this is a World wide matter. From the known Serial Numbers alone there are at least 180 plus DV1's in that batch.

IF you have purchased an AR-DV1 lately you really should test the USB port as soon as possible. Some Ports did not work on receipt, some failed after a couple of weeks or less. Some Dealers are saying it is not a Warranty issue (of course it is), so be aware when you return the Radio.

The best way to test the USB port is to download, install and run control software. There are free trials available.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Just received another report of a NEW AR-DV1 with the USB fault. This one was bought in England, returned to the Dealer within a few days. It was as usual sent to AOR Japan for repair, and the Customer was made to pay over £100 for the repair!!!!!!!

UPDATED LIST
NOTE - ALL NEW AR-DV1 Receivers
09524287 (bought in England) ( Charged for repair)
09524317 (bought in France)
09524372 (Dealer (England) replaced re faulty 09524373)
09524373 (bought in England
09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers) (Charged for repair)
09524470 (bought in England)
09524500 (bought in Finland)

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Went to the N9EWO site this morning, only to find I had a mention and he has reproduced my Post regarding USB fault Serial Numbers, even though AOR are intimating that too is 'Fake News'.

Eventually the 'You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time' maxim will kick in, for those hiding behind the 'Fake News' ploy.

There is no doubt it worked originally, and still is to a degree, for some Companies and in Politics.

It may take some time, and the 'die-hards' will continue to support them no matter what the evidence, but when the day comes enough people will react appropriately and start walking away.

AOR share holders take note.

Ever the optimist I just hope AOR will get a C.E.O. who reads these posts and does not rely on others to mis-interpret them to cover their incompetence.. A C.E.O. who realises how damaging the current AOR approach has been, and insists on positive Customer orientated changes, for the Companies sake if nothing else.

The last thing I want to see is AOR go into liquidations, but it is in their hands as it always was. PLEASE wake up AOR and smell what you are shovelling before it is too late.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
As someone who was thinking of getting one of these, it really worries me.

I have not the slightest doubt that the AR-DV1 is a great and classic Receiver. These faulty Units are turning up very recently, in what can only be described as a 'bad batch'.

There are three things you need to do if you intend to buy one:-

1. BEFORE the purchase make sure you have spoken to the Dealer about the recent USB problems. AOR are telling them to say it does not exist, and this is all Fake News. DO NOT ACCEPT THAT. In more than one case Dealers have made the Customer pay for the 'new' Radio being sent to Japan, and a new chip fitted. Of course this is a Warranty matter, but you need to clear this up first. Tell them before you pay you INSIST on receiving an email confirming that if the USB fault is present immediately, or after just a few days they will REPLACE the Radio, NOT make you pay and wait for a repair. If the Dealer declines, try others. It is a perfectly reasonable request on your part, merely requiring confirmation they will honour the Warranty etc.

Remember you have all the power until you have paid. After that you are at the mercy of AOR and the Dealer. A suitable email will give you some power back.

2. Pay by Credit Card if possible. That also gives you some power if you need it.

3. When the DV1 arrives download a free trial of Control software, and keep using it for at least 2 weeks.

Once you have an AR-DV1 that is working as it should, I have little doubt you will love it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

luckygecko

I have not the slightest doubt that the AR-DV1 is a great and classic Receiver. These faulty Units are turning up very recently, in what can only be described as a 'bad batch'.

I sold mine at a loss. I did have it for one task I needed to get done, but I decided not to keep it long term. (my other AOR radio is an AOR Mini, and I never thought it was a great radio, but still have it.) I did point the new owner to this thread. I wish there was more data about the radio display trying to 'boot' with just USB voltage supplied. My gut tells me the issue is related to that. I cut the power lead to the USB on the cable I had been using to be safe and sold the radio as fully working.

palmerjrusa

Went to the N9EWO site this morning, only to find I had a mention and he has reproduced my Post regarding USB fault Serial Numbers, even though AOR are intimating that too is 'Fake News'.

Eventually the 'You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time' maxim will kick in, for those hiding behind the 'Fake News' ploy.

There is no doubt it worked originally, and still is to a degree, for some Companies and in Politics.

It may take some time, and the 'die-hards' will continue to support them no matter what the evidence, but when the day comes enough people will react appropriately and start walking away.

AOR share holders take note.

Ever the optimist I just hope AOR will get a C.E.O. who reads these posts and does not rely on others to mis-interpret them to cover their incompetence.. A C.E.O. who realises how damaging the current AOR approach has been, and insists on positive Customer orientated changes, for the Companies sake if nothing else.

The last thing I want to see is AOR go into liquidations, but it is in their hands as it always was. PLEASE wake up AOR and smell what you are shovelling before it is too late.

I wonder if their customer base is mainly government agencies where the state-of-mind is often (from personal experience);"just order two, in case one doesn't work"?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Yes you are right. I was once told by someone in Management at AOR that their main Customers were Government Agencies and the Military. '

Other sales only amounted to less than 15% and AOR were not concerned about those Sales or the Customers in consequence. At the time I could hardly believe it, but I do now (sigh).

If you have just bought a DV1 - Be aware!

Here are Serial Numbers of AR-DV1's others have reported from an apparently faulty batch re. USB Ports failing. This is a hardware issue, not related to USB Cables, Windows or Drivers. In three of the cases the Ports worked for a very short time before they failed. In one it was present from the beginning.

09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers))

There are in fact now 5 units with the same problem I have seen reported in the last 2 weeks.The Serial Number of one of them is unknown as it was quickly replaced by the Dealer, who then supplied another DV1 which also had the same fault. Must be an issue with a recent batch from AOR. Very disappointing. Earlier batches are OK.

IF you have bought a DV1 recently you would be well advised to check its Serial Number. IF it may be within the same batch then unless you check its USB Port works with suitable software, testing for at least a couple of days, including unplugging and plugging in a USB Plug several times, you may not find out about the fault and take action quickly enough.

These DV1's were bought mainly in Europe, but one was purchased in Australia.

AOR are denying any such fault exists, and in some cases Dealers are insisting that newly purchased AR-DV1's have to be returned to AOR in Japan, and in the case of the Radio from Australia (just 2 weeks after purchase), the Customer had to pay for the repair.

This contravenes most Countries Trading Laws.

I hope your new DV1 is OK, but the only way to find out is to get some 'FREE' Trial controlling software, and see if the Radio's USB works. In some cases the port was not working from the start, in others it failed within a few days. You really need to do that as soon as possible.

As AOR are denying any problem exists, and in two cases at least saying it is caused by the Customer (despite it being present on new Receivers in their case) and not covered by the Guarantee, there is no way of determining what exactly is causing this, although I suspect that the USB Sockets in the bad batch Batch were either not soldered correctly, or the sockets were not glued to the PCB as they need to be to give them stability and strength to withstand the forces applied by inserting and removing the USB Plug.

The latest information is AOR are saying it a faulty USB Chip, and the Customer has to pay for the repair, as they will not cover it in their Guarantee. However in this you must decide if AOR are telling the truth about the nature of the fault?

Totally contrary to what AOR might think or say, I have been a great fan of AOR equipment (with one exception) for decades), and the AR-DV1 most of all.

IF ANYONE HAS A RECENTLY PURCHASED AN AR-DV1 AND ITS USB HAS FAILED - PLEASE NOTE ITS SERIAL NUMBER AND POST THE INFORMATION HERE BEFORE RETURNING IT

I've a problem with the driver and I'm not sure if USB is a problem or the driver. I'm using the Butel Software ARC DV1 - AOR-DV1 Pro software.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I've a problem with the driver and I'm not sure if USB is a problem or the driver. I'm using the Butel Software ARC DV1 - AOR-DV1 Pro software.

What is the Serial Number?

When did you buy it?

Was it new from a Dealer?

If it is a faulty USB Chip, the P.C. will not communicate correctly with the DV1, even if the Drivers are installed and working correctly.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
There have been more reports about this in the last few weeks. I will add the Serial Numbers to the known list soon.

In the meantime IF you have bought a new AR-DV1 at any time in 2020, from ANYWHERE in the world then you really should test the USB Port. Remember some do not work from the beginning, some fail within a few hours or days.

It is not just a matter of whether you 'may' ever want to use remote control software, or care about your Radios re-sale value. If there are hundreds of other faulty AR-DV1's out there, because of a recent component failure, or poor assembly, then that should be discovered and made Public. NOT to punish AOR, but to make them sit up and do something about it.

All the indications are that AOR and their Dealers (most of them) have entered into a conspiracy of silence about this. Never acknowledging they know of other instances, often trying to imply it is the Customers fault, and attempting to make the Customer pay for the repair.

PLEASE test your AR-DV1's USB Port, not just for your own sake, but for many other DV1 owners.

Last edited:

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
So, I know this is kind of an old thread, but I have a little time to think about these issues while my DV1 is on a slow boat to Japan to get the USB port fixed. My unit was 1 day old when it failed. It was a very new unit dropped shipped from AOR in Orange California (purchased through HRO).

@luckygecko My unit has a much higher serial number than most (all) that have been reported as failures, so your post got me thinking. The design seems to connect USB +5v and USB ground, with the 12v & ground, that just seems to be asking for problems. In my case, I connected the DV1 to 12v switching power supply, and the USB was connected to a powered USB hub. With 2 separate ground paths and 2 sources of power connected together seemingly through the USB chip, that just sounds like a recipe for unpredictable voltages.

Does anyone else have experience with this? If it is really a design flaw, when my DV1 comes back, there is a good chance the same connections could fry it again. Has anyone had their USB port die twice? I really think I should use a USB without power wire. Do they sell such a thing, or is this just an Xacto knife mod?

Last edited:

SandBagger1

It is very clear with the growing number of USB faults including my own AR-DV1 AOR has a problem. I was told that the people at AOR Japan are very smart, see if they blame you and say it was caused by a "Static Discharge" and charge you to repair the radio. There are many radio's, scanners which have there own separate power supply and can be controlled via USB and have no problem. It makes you wonder, I'm not impressed and I will never buy another AOR product.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
This is a relatively recent occurrence. Something has gone wrong at AOR, either on the production line, or a faulty batch of USB chips.

The earlier AR-DV1's certainly seem NOT to exhibit the USB fault. Bearing in mind the bad batch of Receivers have either been sold 'new' with the fault already present, or the port fails within a few days of use.

There are still new reports coming in about this.

What truly amazes me is that AOR appear not to be testing the DV1's they have, before sending them to Dealers.

It is one thing always denying any problems exist, it is another acting as if they really believe that, despite all the evidence. Does anyone really believe AOR and their Dealers have no knowledge of this USB fault? The current approach does not indicate anything 'smart' about it, more like 'suicidal'

The AR-DV1 is a fantastic device, and deserves its past success.

I want AOR to survive, one has to wonder if they want to.