AR-DV1 USB FAULT on some recent Receivers

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I really want AOR to succeed also. However their pricing and service levels suggest they are focused on corporate or government markets at the expense of the hobbyists. I like their innovation. There are only a few companies innovating in this changing radio world. However their "innovation" is likely just a response to government contract requirements. I'm ok with sloppy seconds, up to a certain point.
My main worry is that I'm going to get my new DV1 back from Japan and immediately damage the USB chip again by just connecting it the way I did before. If it was a bad chip, I have nothing to worry about. If it is a design flaw, it will go back to Japan for a second visit.

SandBagger1

I am not aware of or even experienced the USB port going faulty a second time after repair. What I object to is being sold a new faulty radio and charged for the repair. In most countries consumer law states it must be fit for purpose, if not replace or under reasonable circumstances it may be repaired locally by the selling dealer. AOR seems to have taken an interesting approach in the way they treat there retail customers.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
At least in my situation, a new fresh stock DV1 delivered directly from AOR failed about 10 minutes into using the USB port. I notified AOR via email 1 day after delivery with Windows USB error screen shots and they responded 2 days later saying it would be covered under warranty. I did have to pay for shipping to AOR in California (they will send it to Japan) that cost me $35 since I insured it for full value.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
Certainly, "happy" is not the word I would use. I had my new DV1 for 1 day, had to box it up, pay $35 and will be without it for a month or two. I am far less upset than I would be if they had told me I had to pay for the full shipping and repair (which sounds like what happened to you).

SandBagger1

Yes sorry "Happy" is a poor choice of a word to use. I was in and out of hospital at the time of my faulty radio, so I was not able to give it my full attention. In the end the local dealer gave me a discount, so the cost of the repair was not worth fighting over and it was at the start of this COVID19 pandemic. I have moved onto SDR's as I like to watch the waterfall display and work on reducing interference to improve all my radio's reception. On any given band I have a radio that can outperform the AOR AR-DV1. But nothing I own has the same frequency coverage and the ability to decode the analogue and digital modes it can. It consistently finds new Military UHF "Tactical" frequencies that my other radios do not seem to hear. When they work, they work brilliantly!

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
SDRs are a lot of fun. I call them the wild west of scanning. So much capability. I have to learn never to turn them off, because every time I have to get the system running and decoding properly I forget a few things. I prefer buttons and knobs since there is less stuff to configure.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Which uart usb ic uses AOR in the DV1
Is it possible to replace it yourself with a broken USB connection

No idea of the chips identity. I am unaware of any circuit diagrams for the DV1.

Since AOR are not admitting the problem exists at their end ( blaming Customers for using 'bad' USB inputs) then it is impossible to know if the chips are actually 'faulty' or there was a problem with the actual assembly of the circuit boards for a period of time.

G8PTN

Hi All,

For information I have an early DV1, and the USB interface returns the following information using the Linux “lsusb” command.
VID = 0x10C4 Silicon Labs
PID = 0xEA60 CP210x UART Bridge

Looking at the Silicon Labs datasheets, the above Vendor ID (VID) and Product ID (PID) is for the CP2102/9 and the later CP2102N.
Reference (CP2102/9) : https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/data-sheets/CP2102-9.pdf
Reference (CP2102N) : https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/data-sheets/cp2102n-datasheet.pdf

My DV1 has a serial number prior to 09523001 and will therefore be using the Version 1 PCB which has the firmware extension “.DV1” for updates. I did take some internal photos of the receiver some time ago, but I can’t easily see the USB device, which will probably be close to the front panel USB connector.

The newer DV1’s which are likely to be the Version 2 PCB, may be using a completely different USB chip or perhaps a different variant (see below).

There are two variants of the CP2102, one is the “CP2102” and the other “CP2102N”. There is a difference in the absolute maximum rating for the two devices (see tables).

1618005300051.png

In self-powered mode, a resistor network is required for the CP2102N on the VBUS input as shown in Figure 2.6 of the CP2102N datasheet.

If this is related to the DV1 problem, I would expect that if the radio is powered up before inserting the USB cable, the failure should not occur, since with VIO/VDD > 3.3V, the maximum allowed voltage on the VBUS pin can be 5.8V.

It would be interesting to find out if the latest DV1’s are using a different device or variant.

I am not sure what configuration the DV1 is using for the USB chip, so the issue may be completely unrelated.

Rob_Gouda

Thanks G8PTN !
This forum also talks about a similar issue with the cp2102n chip.
It has to do with the voltage peak when connecting the USB cable.
Causing the uart chip to break after a few times
Maybe the pi network around the chip like in the link can offer a solution.
But first it must be established whether this chip cp2102n is used in the DV1 and where it is located on the PCB.
I don't see it in pictures of the main PCB, but maybe behind the display PCB.
The chip costs about 1 euro. so we can give it a try.

c0ne

Thanks G8PTN !
This forum also talks about a similar issue with the cp2102n chip.
It has to do with the voltage peak when connecting the USB cable.
Causing the uart chip to break after a few times
Maybe the pi network around the chip like in the link can offer a solution.
But first it must be established whether this chip cp2102n is used in the DV1 and where it is located on the PCB.
I don't see it in pictures of the main PCB, but maybe behind the display PCB.
The chip costs about 1 euro. so we can give it a try.
Rob, i also noticed your post of the dutch scanner form. I can take a picture but it seems you own a DV1 yourself, isn’t easier to open it up and check yourself?

Rob_Gouda

That's right I also asked this question on a Dutch scanner forum.
I have my own DV1 since this weekend.
With a working usb!
With a higher serial number.
So yes now I can check it by my self
I have searched for an uart chip, but I cannot find it.
I wonder if this is not integrated into any of the other chips.
Maybe the two 311 chips from JRC (comperator) have something to do with the usb input to adjust the level to cmos level.
This signal can then go to an integrated uart of another chip.
But which one is unknown to me.

Rob_Gouda

Hi Dave yes I agree with you.
But I don't see a CP210x chip on the main pcb.
Where it should be, given the USB connection on the main pcb.
It could be somewhere on the display pcb, but I haven't taken it apart yet.
A schematic would be very useful now.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I suspect for many of us the interesting thing would be to know 'why' this is only happening to just one 'recent' batch of AR-DV1 receivers. AOR are of course denying it is anything that happened at their end, yet they are able to fix it if the DV1 is sent back for repair. Sometimes 'free', sometimes 'charging' for the repair of a brand new AR-DV1.

So it is reasonable to assume AOR do really know the cause, but if any blame is being applied by AOR it is to the people reporting on the matter (especially me) - SIGH

Rob_Gouda

G8PTN:
For information I have an early DV1, and the USB interface returns the following information using the Linux “lsusb” command.
VID = 0x10C4 Silicon Labs
PID = 0xEA60 CP210x UART Bridge

Maybe the main pcb has been changed and it works differently now.
And that therefore the uart is not found.
Maybe I can try this with an Raspberry pi to see how the uart answers.
I have serial number 09523 *** and main pcb AR-DV1 140428-5.

G8PTN

Hi Rob,

When I first had my DV1 I took some photos of the top side of the PCB. Having another look I also can’t obviously see a USB uart and I have assumed it may be on the bottom side.

I think if you look in the device manager in Windows and check the properties of the DV1 COM port it will also show the device type.

Regards,

Dave