AR3000A - Attenuator Issue 30-940 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylson

Hello all AR3000a users.

I recently bought a AR3000a. I've detected the only fault being with the keyboard selected Attenuator. For 0-30Mhz its effective, however from 30-940Mhz you need to turn ON the ATTN to be able to hear anything weak. When you turn it OFF, its as like the signal is then attenuated. I can't see how this could happening. I've tried resets with no effect. The radio is great however having to toggle the ATTN on and off between HF and above 30Mhz is a hassle. By the way the Lithium battery is holding memory well.

I've email AOR (USA, UK and Japan) without even a reply.

Can anyone offer some assistance what to try. I'm scared to lift the upper board to dive with a multi meter into the middle board where Q6, Q7, Q8 and Diodes D2, D3 and D4 exist to check for correct voltages to the attenuator section.

Help!

freqseek

I just contacted AOR about doing the IF out mod on the AR3000A, they told me they don't support the Receiver anymore other than changing the Battery, I've heard the same with some of their other models. I own a few AOR Receiver, you'd think the price of them they would offer a little better support.

Wylson

Response from AOR (Japan)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for using AOR.

We cannot explain why your receiver's ATT function seems to be inversed over 30MHz. But since this is a second hand receiver, it is likely that the hardware has been modified by the previous owner(s).

This receiver being discontinued for a long time already, and therefore spare parts being rare, this receiver is not serviced anymore by official AOR channels. Nevertheless we wish you many hours of pleasureful listening.

Best regards,
AOR, LTD.
Overseas Sales Dept.
2-6-4 Misuji, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0055
Japan

dkf435

I just contacted AOR about doing the IF out mod on the AR3000A, they told me they don't support the Receiver anymore other than changing the Battery, I've heard the same with some of their other models. I own a few AOR Receiver, you'd think the price of them they would offer a little better support.

What do you want for a 20 year old radio, got my first AR3000 in 1993. The IF out mod turns on the WFM circuit full time and is detailed in the AR3000A PLUS Modifications page and a good radio tech can do it.

Download and save and print out this PDF
http://hobitus.com/equipment/AR3000A_plus_modifacation.pdf

Have 1 AR3000 and 3 AR3000A radios and over the years bought fixed sold 2 others.

David Kb7uns

Wylson

Are you interested in my AR3000A with inverted Attn mode?

Hi,

I'm not sure I'd want to sell it now but one day. By the way, I paid $392 on ebay a while ago. These radios don't come up often and this one is super sensitive (provided the Attenuator is 'on' in the 30-940mhz band) I'm an engineer and this suits my casual interests however I have no much space for longwire in a unit!

SCPD

QRT
AOR 3000

Hi,

I'm not sure I'd want to sell it now but one day. By the way, I paid $392 on ebay a while ago. These radios don't come up often and this one is super sensitive (provided the Attenuator is 'on' in the 30-940mhz band) I'm an engineer and this suits my casual interests however I have no much space for longwire in a unit!

if you pop the 4 screws out the top there inside the top PC board of the radio is a set of switches
Both facing in is OFF
Both facing out is ON
The preamp for the radio.

And try calling them they are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.