AR8000 old vs new keypad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TassieJay

I know that early AR8000 keypads had a soft keypad that had troubles with the imprinting rubbing off, and that was resolved in later versions with a 'harder' keypad that had a more glossy appearance.

Has anyone had experience with both types of keypad? Do you think that the original 'soft' keypad could have the tops of each key carefully coated in a varnish to provide equivalent protection?

Or would anyone know if the replacement 'hard' keypads are still available from anywhere?

TassieJay

I was worried about going down that route - what if the applied varnish coated the buttons, but in the process also 'ate' at the imprinting. Well, I got brave enough and tried a hobby / scrapbooking spray varnish. It's meant for going over photos etc, so shouldn't be harmful to the printing on the key tops, and that turned out to be correct. The hobby / scrapbooking varnish comes out as a much finer mist, and only makes a very thin coat per spray - I ended up using four coats to do my keypad, and really it could do with more still.
If anyone else has an AR8000 with a good condition keypad, or one that you don't want to deteriorate any further, I can recommend a varnish as mentioned above to protect your keypad. It does the job well... just be sure to use enough coats of the stuff to give it enough protection.

SCPD

QRT
aor

email AOR they are very nice at helping you with parts I had a very nice man even talk to me on the phone about the parts I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.