AR8000 'option' - what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TassieJay

While developing some new mods for the AR8000, looking over the schematic there's a pin on the microprocessor that has R5 connecting to ground. R5's value isn't labelled, and has an asterisk (*) next to it. The alignment documents label this pin 62 as P01 "Option". Anyone know what it is supposed to do?
My AR8000 has no R5 fitted.

Fast1eddie

I once owned a 8000, very nice radio for it's time. If I recall correctly, I remember reading there was mention of a optional descrambler. That may have been it, unfortunately it being a older radio, many ot the internet links on it are now dead. I am buying a 3000-not the A model and looking for information on that. Both are still good receivers and there is plenty of analog voice traffic to monitor here.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Speech Inversion

DSR8000 Speech inversion decoder is probably what you mean.

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/aor/ar8000/information/ar8000-mods.pdf

http://www.javiation.co.uk/ar8000.html

I once owned a 8000, very nice radio for it's time. If I recall correctly, I remember reading there was mention of a optional descrambler. That may have been it, unfortunately it being a older radio, many ot the internet links on it are now dead. I am buying a 3000-not the A model and looking for information on that. Both are still good receivers and there is plenty of analog voice traffic to monitor here.

TassieJay

Putting in the DS8000 is 'registered' by using the LOCAL key on the keypad, not by soldering/desoldering this 'option' resistor. In all the examples & photos on the 'net I've seen, this resistor is not fitted. I might put a 10k resistor in there and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.