AR8200-MK3 AR8200 soon to be no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air490

The Japanese AOR website now has a notation that the AR8200-MK3 will be discontinued in March 2020.
Must say, it has had a good run!

Air490

A very good run indeed. Maybe they are confident the DV10 is now ready for prime time.

I was wondering the same thing. DV10 is very focused on digital modes, and is significantly more expensive than the 8200 (as well as having a history of "issues").
As rail and aviation are the two main areas of hobby monitoring in Japan, I wonder if AOR has something analogue on the way to replace the 8200 at the cheaper end of the market.

danesgs

Air490, they do have this which if a aviation buff, sounds like a dream come true.

I had a 8200 and it was a neat radio. Still have an AOR 8000 which keeps on working like a champ. I am sure is the company is coming out with specific radios like the AR7400, they might have another variation of the 8200 in the works.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I bought a used Mk3 IR version with a leather case years ago. One thing I noticed is the attenuator works with the antenna off. It makes it easier to figure out if a transmitter is nearby. The Icom R30 has more attenuator levels, but they are useless when you are near a transmitter with the antenna off.

I do not quite know how to describe it, but it seems like AOR has laid-back sales and marketing. It could be their main focus is on government sales. It seems like they announce a receiver and it becomes available to hobbyists a couple of years later.

73 Eric

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
The Japanese AOR website now has a notation that the AR8200-MK3 will be discontinued in March 2020.
Must say, it has had a good run!

I recently bought a 8200D after getting rid of an 8200MKIII that I had for years. I couldn't believe that I missed the 8200, but I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.