ARC 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
First, I spent quite some time just figuring out where to post this. :confused:
This is a question that involves my 996T and specifically, ARC 996 software. However, I do not believe this problem is confined to ARC 996 or any other software/scanner.

Here we go. I've programmed my 996t using BUTEL 996 with large lists of businesses in the Chicago Area; While I was at it, I threw in all the colleges/universities in this area.

What causes the scanner to stop every so often on a channel and just make "noise?" Its that loud, screeching, just want to shoot your ears off your face noise. Most of this problem comes from channels programmed as "ops" or "operations." These are conventional systems, nothing really tricky, but if I press lock out once, it may or may NOT come back next time I turn on the scanner. So now I am just punching lock out twice to permanently lock it out. I don't know if that is correct either, as that channel may not always have that noise.

At the same time, with hundreds of new channels for these systems, I get very little back from them. Most are quiet, and I am wondering if it is even worth my time to mess with all this.?? I've read about the noise issue, but I am looking for other advice.

Anyhow, I know there are many, many experts here who have had this issue, as we all have. I'm looking for advice as how to handle this. Frankly, I do not know. I would appreciate your help. Greg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not in Illinois, but my first thought would be: are these 'noise' signals coming from DMR/MOTOTRBO? Did you check the database or use the extract web tool to see if this was the case?
Are these listed as P25? It's next to impossible to diagnose this without actual frequencies; there's just too many possibilities,....Mike

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for answering. To answer you...I don't really know. I don't have any DMR in my 536, but I need to research the rest of whats in there and take a harder look at what's causing the problems.

Again thanks so much. Greg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you cross ref your lists with the database, you might begin to find some answers. If they aren't in the database, your next best bet is to use this tool, which pulls data (I think) from the FCC files

Digital Frequency Quick Import

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too would suspect your scanner is stopping on a channel using an unsupported format. In addition to DMR there is also the NXDN format.

When traveling and monitoring the full database, the scanner will stop on a channel which is very strong, but just "noise". When I look the frequency up, I'll find it is one of those unsupported formats.

rwier

" ... programmed .... with large lists of businesses ............ all the colleges/universities in this area ... "

I make multiple ScanLists/FavoriteLists and keep the number of Channels/TalkGroups in each limited to about twenty (usually ten or less per list).

If one scans 20 Channels/TGs that are (to the listener) very important and those 20 Channels/TGs are also very busy (active) the listener (by simple math) will most likely miss about 95% of those very important transmissions.

If one scans 20 Channels/TGs that are (to the listener) not very important and those 20 Channels/TGs are also not busy (active), the listener will most likely hear nearly all of those non-important transmissions. However, the listener will spend nearly all of the listening time hearing nothing with the occasional non-important transmission waking him/her up.

It takes some thought as to how to distribute Channels and TGs to multiple ScanLists/FavoriteLists so as to get a reasonable balance between coverage and importance. Also, each additional scanner you acquire will help to address this problem head on.

An exception to the above is a system I use if travelling. I will make those "giant" SLs/FLs based upon desired listening Channels/TGs found along the proposed travel routes (Interstates, State Routes, etc.). These are used with scanners that allow GPS control while mobile. Done correctly, the GPS control will limit the SLs/FLs being scanned to the usual small acceptable numbers.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all your replies. That frequency database was put together and is run by a good friend of us here. Also, I caught the part about "the more scanners you acquire the less this problem is.":) My wife would never buy that.

After reading all above, I took a harder look. There are many times when I receive a scratchy channel/transmission, such as a far away ambulance calling report in to a hospital. The sound is very scratchy, very irritating, but if I lock it out I lose other strong transmissions on that frequency. Turning up the squelch does not help. Others are just plain crap and I lock them out temporarily.

IMONITOR makes a lot of sense. When I get those transmissions that are just noise I should get rid of it. I never know if its a good channel or not.

I only have 14 systems in both my 436/536. Only one is Digital/P25. This is because I still do not understand how to pick Sites, or even band plans, or whether what I am programming needs a band plan, etc.etc. I really suck at this.

Everyone thank you. It all makes sense and I will do as you suggested. Wonder what the wife will say, however, when I tell her I want another scanner!! Greg

PS: She said "a huh" and walked away.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
After reading all above, I took a harder look. There are many times when I receive a scratchy channel/transmission, such as a far away ambulance calling report in to a hospital. The sound is very scratchy, very irritating, but if I lock it out I lose other strong transmissions on that frequency. Turning up the squelch does not help. Others are just plain crap and I lock them out temporarily.

IMONITOR makes a lot of sense. When I get those transmissions that are just noise I should get rid of it. I never know if its a good channel or not.

Check to see if the good signal you hear on that frequency uses CTCSS or DCS. If it does, you could specify it in your programming, and the scanner will skip signals on the same frequency that do not use the same CTCSS or DCS.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
After reading all above, I took a harder look. There are many times when I receive a scratchy channel/transmission, such as a far away ambulance calling report in to a hospital. The sound is very scratchy, very irritating, but if I lock it out I lose other strong transmissions on that frequency. Turning up the squelch does not help. Others are just plain crap and I lock them out temporarily..

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. You can always fiddle with the squelch to lessen those distant units. However, there will always be something close enough to break squelch, but won't have full quieting on the signal.

I only have 14 systems in both my 436/536. Only one is Digital/P25. This is because I still do not understand how to pick Sites, or even band plans, or whether what I am programming needs a band plan, etc.etc. I really suck at this.

If you are importing your "stuff" from the full database, then you don't have to worry about band plans, The correct settings are part of the import process.

My suggestion is to "over grab" sites and use Location Control for the Favorites List. The scanner will turn off those sites too far away to receive.

Everyone thank you. It all makes sense and I will do as you suggested. Wonder what the wife will say, however, when I tell her I want another scanner!! Greg

PS: She said "a huh" and walked away.

Well, a guy does get to have his hobbies:p:p:p The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. You can always fiddle with the squelch to lessen those distant units. However, there will always be something close enough to break squelch, but won't have full quieting on the signal.

If you are importing your "stuff" from the full database, then you don't have to worry about band plans, The correct settings are part of the import process.

My suggestion is to "over grab" sites and use Location Control for the Favorites List. The scanner will turn off those sites too far away to receive.

Well, a guy does get to have his hobbies:p:p:p The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Check to see if the good signal you hear on that frequency uses CTCSS or DCS. If it does, you could specify it in your programming, and the scanner will skip signals on the same frequency that do not use the same CTCSS or DCS.

Haven't been around for a few days but I appreciate your replies. Several years ago I had two competing channels on my 996T. I programmed one out so only the one I wanted came thru. I was hoping band plans were part of the process. I tried downloading some systems into my PRO-106 and they never worked. They may have been more than the 106 can handle.

Thanks again Guys. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.