ARC-Easystream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
scancapecod said:
That's a neat idea, and would make a dandy Wiki page. I'm sure the input would also be well received at the scannerfeeds.us website.

Question: In Windows XP, multiple programs can normally access the same soundcard. For example, my main feed runs on an XP box and the audio is available via Icecast and Teamspeak simultaneously. Has anyone tried running this software in addition to other pre-existing feed software on the same computer, and what were the results if so? I like the fact that there is virtually no audio delay, unlike the Icecast setup which has about a ten second delay, and requires three other programs to make it all work (Simplecast, and Serproxy and Monitor to send the alpha tags to Simplecast).

The idea is that once there are enough streams available worldwide, the client software automacically loads an up to date server list at startup, so you can simply pick a server stream from a list. There will also be extended info like stream description, location etc.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm listening to freak's feed now and I must say it works quite nicely. Right now it appears that I must manually enter the feed's address that I want to listen to each time...it doesn't seem to be retained in the drop down area. Having a server list as your last post suggests or a menu to choose from predefined feeds would be ideal.

typical bandwidth is 20 kb.

Gommert, in your .pdf file it indicates that bandwidth is about 35k per client. Is your quote a change? Is this adjustable anywhere? I didn't see that it was or wasn't. Comcast only gives me 512K up, which gets eaten up in a hurry. 20k per client would be a lot more palatable.

With that in mind, would it be possible for a future version to have the maximum number of clients adjusted in the software itself and not in the registry. I don't mind using Regedit, but as I'm sure you're aware, and with no offense to anyone, it can be a recipe for disaster for folks that "zig when they should zag". ;)

I imagine that this software would work at the same time as Teamspeak, as my current setup does. There's only one programming accessing the serial connection, and two accessing the audio, but this is normally not an issue in XP.

One other question: Will you continue to restrict the alpha tag to the scanner's display? With the current setup I use, a file is checked against the received talkgroup ID or conventional frequency, and an accompanying text tag is embedded. This allows for longer text tags with better description of what the client is listening to...good for folks that are far away and might not be familiar with abbreviations that the locals are.

I already spent $55 on Simplecast, and I use it in conjunction with Icecast, Serproxy, and Monitor to provide an alpha-tagged stream to Winamp and iTunes users. With the above tweaks in mind I'd consider a move to your software given the ease of startup and the lack of delay between actual event and reception of the stream.

As always, great work! Thanks for providing it as an option.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Another thought: would it be possible to add an auto-start for the server when the program runs? This would be helpful to have the feed automatically recover after an inadvertant reboot of the computer. That way we could obviously just drag the icon into the startup folder and have the feed fire right back up again.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
scancapecod said:
Gommert, in your .pdf file it indicates that bandwidth is about 35k per client. Is your quote a change? Is this adjustable anywhere? I didn't see that it was or wasn't. Comcast only gives me 512K up, which gets eaten up in a hurry. 20k per client would be a lot more palatable.

With that in mind, would it be possible for a future version to have the maximum number of clients adjusted in the software itself and not in the registry. I don't mind using Regedit, but as I'm sure you're aware, and with no offense to anyone, it can be a recipe for disaster for folks that "zig when they should zag". ;)

I imagine that this software would work at the same time as Teamspeak, as my current setup does. There's only one programming accessing the serial connection, and two accessing the audio, but this is normally not an issue in XP.

One other question: Will you continue to restrict the alpha tag to the scanner's display? With the current setup I use, a file is checked against the received talkgroup ID or conventional frequency, and an accompanying text tag is embedded. This allows for longer text tags with better description of what the client is listening to...good for folks that are far away and might not be familiar with abbreviations that the locals are.

As always, great work! Thanks for providing it as an option.

A user can not tweak the bandwidth settings, the latest 0.95 server is even better and streams at less than 15KB/client with typical 0.5 second delay.

For now there are no plans to use external tag files, the latest Unidens all show channel, group and system tag and the streaming is fast enough to display that info 'live'.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

K9GTJ

scancapecod said:
Another thought: would it be possible to add an auto-start for the server when the program runs? This would be helpful to have the feed automatically recover after an inadvertant reboot of the computer. That way we could obviously just drag the icon into the startup folder and have the feed fire right back up again.

How about run as a service so I don't even have to be logged in for it to run.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
mikea7531 said:
Gommert,

Is there any chance of having support for more than 10 serial ports? I run serial splitting software/driver so that i can keep the feed up while making quick changes with the ARC250.

What software do you use to split the ports, I am looking for something to do that. it sucks having to turn off my winamp tagging software to do arc updates.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
scancapecod said:

The next server release will have an auto-start option,

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks Gommert. I liked the run as a service idea as well. My feed computer is set up to reboot and auto login though, so the auto-start solution would work dandy for me.

One question still remains...is anyone running this in XP at the same time they are serving the same audio to another program? It is essential that I be able to continue to serve the same audio from my main feed to that of my Teamspeak feed. Currently with Icecast/Simplecast this is not a problem.

I'm listening to the New Jersey feed right now. This software is working very well. Audio sounds great. It's my intention to set up a test server either Friday evening or Saturday morning, which will answer my above question about multiple audio issues if no one else can. If all goes well with it I may change my main feed to this method. I expect some of my feed users will grumble at the outset, as people generally don't like change, but this software appears to offer such a simple way to provide the feed from my end. Sometimes this hobby acts like a job...yuck. Simple is good! This seems simple, and good.

Before I would switch over though I'd really like to see some way for clients to auto-store feed information so they don't have to type the info in each time. Even if it could store on the drop down menu that would be good. It would also be nice if it could store by name, and be able to "resolve" the DNS or IP entry...i.e. I configure my client to "Scan Cape Cod" and enter the dns/IP/port info. Scan Cape Cod then shows up on the drop down, and I select it and go. I know you have plans for supporting lists of available feeds, and that's great, but some method in the interim to make it easier for clients to connect would be ideal.

Thanks again.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Yes, I agree.. Gommert, is there any reason the program isn't saving feeds in the drop down box? I assume thats what it is there for..

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I have never personally installed the server, but , I have an idea.

Isn't there a utility that allows you to setup an application to run as a service?

Does the server portion require data to be input each time, or once it's configured you just start it?

I'm not sure what server OS you plan on running, but this might get you pointed in the right direction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137890/

K9GTJ

JWhipple said:
I have never personally installed the server, but , I have an idea.

Isn't there a utility that allows you to setup an application to run as a service?

Does the server portion require data to be input each time, or once it's configured you just start it?

I'm not sure what server OS you plan on running, but this might get you pointed in the right direction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137890/

From my quick tests, the software cannot be started fully from the command line. (No switches) So you need to open the software and at least click the button to start the application. The rest of the settings are saved.

K9GTJ

I would like to see an optional text or URL box available. I would like to be able to give the user a URL for them to visit to learn more about they are hearing.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I am now running an ARC EasyStream feed. I've been testing it for the last few days and it is ready for prime time. I'm not yet sure that this will be the final way I will provide my feed, and this feed is running on another computer, but it is working very well overall. Here is the info:

scanmassachusetts.no-ip.com
Audio Port: 8100
Data Port: 8101

As we've discovered, the audio delay can be measured in milliseconds. I've noticed what sounds like "skipping" when there is net congestion. This is apparently the difference between this type of feed and an Icecast type feed that has buffering (and thus a delay). So far, this skipping has been minimal and is not causing me any irritation. I've listened from work the past two days, and I like it.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Connected and sounds great...I have also experienced net congetstion and agree its not a big deal, especially to get rid of the delay..

rdquaife

Premium Subscriber
Wondered if anyone had any thoughts...

I'm running the EazyStream Server v0.94 and have installed the EazyStream Client v0.96 on a notebook running XP Home. Whenever I try to connect the Client on the notebook, it runs for less than 5 minutes, then crashes (stops receiving audio). The only way to close the program is under the Windows Task Manager and ending task. This happens whether I connect on my LAN or over the Internet. I have tried uninstalling the software, rebooting and redownloading and installing the software again. This has also happened on another machine that I tried to connect with over the Internet. I do have a second computer on my LAN that works and receives with the Client perfectly.

I emailed Gommert and he indicated that my audio software may be going into a sleep mode but, I can't find any settings in my audio software that would change this.

Anyone else encountered this problem??

rdquaife

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I found the solution by trial and error...not sure why, but it works.

In looking at the Audio Mixer, the "PC Speaker" was only half-way turned up. When I placed this slider in maximum position, it now maintains the audio consistently.

I still have problems exiting the program...when I click exit, it doesn't shut down completely. I still have to go into the Task Manager and End Task to completely shut it down.

Ron

electricsheep

The new version of IDtracker is now available that allows the feeding of id tracker metadata to the shoutcast server. I am now able to see ID tags and frequencies using Winamp! Fantastic.

KC1UA

Database Admin
That is a nice addition surely. I've been doing it for quite some time using Simplecast/Icecast with two programs called Serproxy and Monitor, available from www.scangwinnett.com . However, neither offer the speed that EasyStream does, virtually no audio delay whatsoever. I've heard that the Shoutcast method has a very significant delay between actual transmission and feed reception. There is close to a 10 second delay with Simplecast/Icecast and some metatag issues regarding syncronization if a certain version of Icecast is not used. EasyStream has about a 1/2 second delay and handles the entire feed in a standalone manner. Granted, the client must use EasyStream Client software to receive the feed and does not have the choice of using WMP, Winamp, ITunes, etc., but for people willing to try new and different software this works out very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.