ARC Software not detecting scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Feed Provider
Hiya All....

I have just purchased a new Dell computer with Windows 7. I have installed the following programs from the CD from scanner master when purchased.

ARC396-Basic
ARC250-Pro
ARC996-Pro

When I attempt to connect any of the 3 scanners to the computer, I can't get any of the programs to "detect'' the scanner. I have made sure the baud-rate is the same for scanner and computer. The computer does show the ComPort as having something in it on the device manager. Anything I am missing?

The cables to connect scanner to computer are the ones that came with the programs originally. I even tried downloading ARC396-Basic from Butel's website and then entered my KEY numbers in the hopes that it was just because my disc showed it was like version 1.04 and Windows 7 needed a newer version.

I am at my wits end :(

Tim

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a couple of possibilities here. I'm going to assume that you are using a USB-serial converter- you need a driver that is Win7 compatible. Did you get that and load it?

What is this 'something' that is occupying the Com port that is referenced in your message? It could be blocking your software for connecting, if it's not the USB driver's allocation.

73 Mike

kilowa22

Your problem is most likely is a USB to serial port device driver problem. You need to find the driver for your USB device for windows 7, uninstall the old driver from the windows device manager, reboot the computer with the usb device unplugged, install the driver for win7 for the USB device then plug in the USB device.
In the device manager right click the USB device and select uninstall to remove it.

Tim

Feed Provider
Thank you for the quick replies....

Ok, regarding the "something" comment....in the program, on the "RS232C setup" screen it shows Com3 as blue. I thought I saw somewhere that blue meant it was ready to go with something hooked up (My Scanner).

As far as Windows 7 drivers, no i haven't done that. Where would I even go to get drivers for W7? I am looking at cables that came with the program and I don't see any names on it (Belkin, etc). I didn't see anything on Scannermaster's website.

For the ARC396 program, I uninstalled whatever driver it showed on the devices & printers screen. Then I plugged the cable back in and it supposedly successfully downloaded a driver but again program doesn't detect scanner. I would guess it was a W7 driver...but not sure.

Sigh.................

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.