ARC XT Pro / BCD996XT Will Not Communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoRotate

Premium Subscriber
Good evening,

I recently purchased a 996XT for our hangar. I also purchased the Butel ARC XT Pro. My problem is that the software will not communicate with the unit. I am using the standard serial cable and have checked all baud rates. The serial is plugged into Com1 on my laptop.

I program all the 996's in our helicopters for the state police, but this is our first 996XT and I have never had this problem. Any suggestions?

As a side note, the scanner came out of the box only scanning the pre-programmed Alaska ALMR system even though the other pre-programmed systems are installed. I intend to erase all of them and install my systems. I have never had this issue when programming our 6 other 996's with the ARC 996 software.

Am I missing something with the new units and software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clay Lacey
Texas DPS Aircraft

swstow

Premium Subscriber
when the program ( xt pro ) is open on the tool bar on top hit the scanner tag, in the drop down window click on communication set and in the new window click the auto detect tab that should fix your problem / also u may need to change your com port number for your cable to one of the green com port numbers showing up in the auto detect window

good luck

AutoRotate

Premium Subscriber
when the program ( xt pro ) is open on the tool bar on top hit the scanner tag, in the drop down window click on communication set and in the new window click the auto detect tab that should fix your problem / also u may need to change your com port number for your cable to one of the green com port numbers showing up in the auto detect window

good luck

Okay, will do when I get back to the hangar tonight. I am currently working nights. I also intend to load the software on a different machine and give that a try, even though the laptop and ARC 996 software is communicating with the 996's in our helicopters just fine. It has me puzzled.

I guess if that doesn't work, it must be a hardware issue - maybe a bad port on the radio.

Thanks again for the tip.

Clay

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also make sure that the control channel output function is turned off.

See settings-> C Ch Output . Make sure this is OFF 73 Mike

AutoRotate

Premium Subscriber
****Update****

Tonight when I arrived at work, I deleted FreeScan from the laptop I use. I then went in to the control panel on the laptop and browsed to the Com Port. I right click disabled it, then enabled it. I hooked everything up and it worked like a champ. Thanks for all the help!

Clay

Not to thread jack but, mine is doing the same thing but I'm using the USB serial cable.

Same scanner same program same problem, but i can't get mine work out. I hit "AutoDetect Scanner" and it says it find it. It wont let me upload nor down load though.

The right drivers are installed, its the only program open to work with the scanner.I did find another program someone listed called "freeSCAN", It work 110% with the scanner.

I'd like to get ARC XT PRO to work since i paid $60 new for it and like to use the record part on it.

Thanks for the help,
Quentin

atane

I found the same with the oem usb cable It wouldnt comunicate. i had to put a null modem cable inbetween the oem cable and the scanner and then it connected.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should, if memory serves, only need a null modem cable if you are using the rear port connector - which you probably shouldn't anyway, since firmware fixes cannot be loaded there.

73 Mike

AutoRotate

Premium Subscriber
Not to thread jack but, mine is doing the same thing but I'm using the USB serial cable.

Same scanner same program same problem, but i can't get mine work out. I hit "AutoDetect Scanner" and it says it find it. It wont let me upload nor down load though.

The right drivers are installed, its the only program open to work with the scanner.I did find another program someone listed called "freeSCAN", It work 110% with the scanner.

I'd like to get ARC XT PRO to work since i paid $60 new for it and like to use the record part on it.

Thanks for the help,
Quentin

Sorry to be repetitive, but I'm not sure if my problem was fixed by disabled/enabled the COM port through the control panel, or un-installing FreeScan. You might try to un-install FreeScan, then reboot. FreeScan wasn't running when I had my problems, but I'm not 100% sure that it didn't have something to do with the issue.

Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.