ARC-XT Pro vs. Free Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann3030

Just wondering what everyone's option on what was the better programming software, ARC-XT Pro or Freescan? Is Pro worth the $70.00

I will be programming a BCD396XT

N8DAD

Feed Provider
freescan

its all i use i have proscan also and dont even use it freescan does it all i think and its simple to use

I use FreeScan with my BCD396xt and the rest of my Unidens. I have one problem that started with the last 2 Upgrades of the software. When i go to playback a recorded file, I click on the file and FreeScan Shuts Down. Then I have to restart FreeScan. I can play the recordings as long as I save them first in my hard drive. Other than that it's a great program.

captclint

Mentor
Just wondering what everyone's option on what was the better programming software, ARC-XT Pro or Freescan? Is Pro worth the $70.00
I think it is, but it depends on your usage. I am at the computer a lot, so the virtual control is better and has a smaller footprint with good buttons when minimized. I also like the way the frequency pages act like excel for sorting, filling in a series, and copying an entry down to other line items. You can save entire group lists to excel for backup or editing. There are other features that are better, but the only way you will know is to try each one for the free trial period.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN for programming and ProScan for streaming and recording.

I used the Butel software in the past...awful support (always says or makes you feel it is your fault something doesn't work) and at one point he sold different versions for each scanner model.

JASII

Memory Capacity
ARC-XT Pro Vs. Free Scan

I have the Butel ARC-XT Pro. I really like the History Log feature. It helps me if I am doing unattended monitoring to verify if a certain frequency is used with a specific PL/DPL/NAC Code. Also, on trunked systmes, it is a great way to see what talkgroups are in use. I haven't used Free Scan or others, so I don't know if they have a History Log.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have the Butel ARC-XT Pro. I really like the History Log feature. It helps me if I am doing unattended monitoring to verify if a certain frequency is used with a specific PL/DPL/NAC Code. Also, on trunked systmes, it is a great way to see what talkgroups are in use. I haven't used Free Scan or others, so I don't know if they have a History Log.

They do.

swann3030

Had my scanner for 3 days now, have been leaning more with free scan. I do not see a ton of huge features in ARC-XT that free scan doesn't provide.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I use ARC-XT. And have had excellent luck with their support as well. I've worked with Butel on bugs in the past. I tried freescan, but ended up back with ARC. (I got ARC-XT with my 396XT from Scanner Master at the packaged price.)

Status
Not open for further replies.