ARC-XT to BCD 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondaddy

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Just bought all new stuff to follow our community. I have a Radio Reference Premium sub. and my local Public Safety System is downloadable to my ARC-XT PRO software (using USB-1 cable). After downloading my system from RR to the ARC program, I click on Upload to scanner. Seems successful except no audio or stopping on one signal. It rolls through the freq's and see sig strength meter flicker 4 to 5 bars. I'm sure I'm missing a couple things. Sure could use a steady hand from an adept user.
Schaumburg Public Safety Trunking System, Schaumburg, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies is the package I want to unload in my D396XT

thanks, -tom2-

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Push the black knob down once then rotate the knob to adjust volume. Usually 6-8 is good.
Check for audio assuming your in range of a noaa weather, push the left side menu button in the black rubber. Rotate the knob to wx operation, push the E/yes button twice. Done, push the scan button.

Other thing if still no volume if you have headphones or some external speakers plug them into the radio, if you get audio the speaker is the problem. Seen a few 396's speakers go and even brand new.
Last shot also try inserting the external speaker plug in and out several times once in a while that connecter is shorted.

Also a good manual, http://marksscanners.com/396xt/396xt.shtml

Last edited:

Clark

Your system might have been rebanded and your scanner needs a "Custom Table"
As you're using ARC-XT Pro, it's easy to change the needed change.
See below for the procedure or go here.
BCD996TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
and scroll toward the end of the article until you see

"Motorola 800 Custom Band Plan (Rebanding) "

Motorola 800 Custom Band Plan (Rebanding)
This update adds the ability to create a Motorola 800 MHz site using a custom band plan. When you create a site that has been rebanded to use the frequencies newly added for use by the FCC, you have the option now of selecting 800MHz Custom as the Motorola site type.
Once you create the site, you can set the custom band plan as follows:

1.In the Site setting menu, select Edit Band Plan.
2.Select the band plan entry to edit.
3.Set each of the following entries for the band plan:
1.Set Base Freq (Upper and Lower)
2.Set Offset
3.Set Spacing
For standard rebanded systems, you need to set Band Plan 1 and Band Plan 2 as: Band Plan
Base Freq (Lower)
Base Freq (Upper)
Offset
Polarity
Spacing

851.025MHz
854.0000MHz
+
25 kHz

851.0125MHz
868.9875MHz
+
25 kHz

Revised Protocol

Clark

Clark

I should have added, after clicking or opening the "Site", and in the "General" tab, you'll see "Mot Bandplan",
change it from 800/900 Standard to Custom.and then you'll see "Edit Mot Bandplan". Clicking on it will open another window and you'll see a "Rebanded " button. Click on it and the correct Bandplan will appear and
click on "OK" and you're done.

Clark

Hondaddy

Premium Subscriber
solutions

Ronaldski,Thanks for your input. One of the speakers on this laptop never worked also, WX is loud and clear.

Clark, Thank you for going into detail on the rebanding. I bought all this stuff and a RadioReference subscription to make my life plug and play. This might be too advanced for me. I'm hoking and poking with the ARC software right now. I need a bit of confidence/experience to build a custom table. Was just hoping to rip my freq's and particulars from RR to the ARC program and upload to scanner. Just isn't that easy.
Thanks, -tom2-

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
If the system is rebanded and imported from RadioReference then the ARC software will automatically set the bandplan for you.
First check if the scanner actually receives a control channel(s) by manually tuning to the control channels. Also put the scanner in ID search mode first so you will hear all activity. Once that is working you can program specific talkgroups to monitor.

Gommert
Butel Software

Clark

The speakers on your laptop have nothing to with the scanner not receiving properly.

In my opinion, ARC software is the best and easiest scanner programming software. Don't be discouraged just take it slow and I'm sure you will learn.

Today's scannesr are somewhat complex due to the nature of the advancement of the communications of radio systems.

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.