ARC396 -- integration with radioreference.com sketchy at best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robetzel

After reading the rave reviews about this software, I'm convinced it isn't much better than entering the data manually. The main reason I bought the software was to MAKE PROGRAMMING EASIER. So far it's just been a frustrating experience (hours!)

1. I can't download MOST of the county information -- no systems are present. We're talking about counties with 200k+ people in them!

2. Am I supposed to be mining the PDFs/HTML charts for frequencies and other needed information? Heck, the headings in the files don't match the ARC software column headings. What the heck am I missing?

In ARC I have:

Frequency | Name | L/Out | CTCSS/DCS | Tone L/Out | ATT | Alert | Alert Level | Mode | Priority | Comment

The chart has:

Frequency | License | Type | Tone | CH | Description | Mode

I have no clue how to translate this data, and I'm not sure why the heck I have to translate it. I thought the whole idea behind purchasing the software, and a subscription to radioreference.com, was to be able to download data into ARC, organize it and then write it to the scanner !? AT BEST the whole thing is kludgy and cumbersome for the counties that DO have data in my state, and down right MYSTIFYING for anything else.

I've read the scanner (396T) manual twice. I've dug through the forums and help. I'm a software engineer for chrissakes!

HELP!

robetzel

Butelsoftware said:
Importing systems is very easy, click on the Internet option and select conventional or trunk (release 1.05B) enter your username/password and you can browse for systems.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

Been there, done that, many systems not available.

For example, I want the Oregon State Police. Select Oregon, Select Statewide, and there are no systems available in the System pull-down. Try many of the counties under Oregon and there is no information listed under the System pull-down. Try Tillamook for example. I can click on the "View All Systems In This County" button and get the information, but why isn't it available in a downloadable format????

robetzel

OK -- I downloaded the new Beta (I was using 1.42?) and this is much better. There are some GUI issues (window sizing challenges) but now I can at least get the data.

THANK YOU!

DavidNVA

ARC396 with its integration with the RR database has saved me hours and has to be one of my best scanning related investments yet, along with my paid subscription to RR.

In fact, ARC396 was one of the reasons I purchased a 396 having used the 250d product in the past.

Glad you were able to find the latest beta, I had the same reaction as you when I was unable to download the conventional systems but once I got a hold of the beta all has been good.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Butelsoftware said:
Importing systems is very easy, click on the Internet option and select conventional or trunk (release 1.05B) enter your username/password and you can browse for systems.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

yes, the beta is better at importing the data but when is the final version coming out or when is a newer beta? it's been a while for this beta version.

Status
Not open for further replies.