ARC396 under win7 will not see scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptech

Booting the system under xp, the first and current version of ARC396 will read and write to the 396t scanner via a usb to serial adaptor purchased from uniden. The chipset is prolific, if spelled right.

Booting the system under win7 prof 32 bit, the program runs ok, and just to be safe, installed as admin, does not see the scanner. The device manager sees the adaptor, the numbers are matched in the rs232 setup, but the program doesn't see the scanner.

We know the cable is ok as it works in xp. The driver file loaded in win7 automatically, as in xp I had to add the driver manually.

I do use pdanet to communicate with my palm cell phone. I've disabled the pdanet drivers, as in the manual there was a mention of palm software conflicts, still doesn't see the scanner.

Just tried with freescan. It sees the scanner on a serial port but uploads no information, Butel claims their s/w works under win7, but obviously there is either a problem with win7 or some background program or driver. Ideas?

Any ideas other than just staying with xp?

I haven't tried freescan under win7 yet, might try it next.

Jim

Last edited:

emptech

ARC (nor freescan) cannot see scanner in win7

As mentioned before, the usb-serial from uniden is good, works fine in xp on the same computer. The comport numbers in the program agree with what device manager has. BTW, win7 and xp assign it different com port numbers, but I made sure the numbers match with the program/s. Also noted, same problem with freescan, so it is more of a system problem.

As I think I noted, the "auto" button does not find the scanner. I suspected a conflict with some of the palm software, so I went to msconfig and disabled all non-essential drivers and programs, still the same problem. Butel insists that they have thoroughly tested their s/w under win7. It could be worse, vista or win8. Fortunately the computer is dual boot.

Since I can always run in xp, this is more of an annoyance and not absolutely necessary to run in win7.

Jim

Ya update the drivers for your cable. also make sure comport in Butel matches the 1 shown in Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.