• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

ARC396PRO Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone seen a newer beta for ARC396PRO Beta? I like the new features, but it's very unstable. I was hoping to see a new beta or a new final version soon. thanks.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
0.910 is the current beta available to those who pre ordered.

ARC396PRO? the beta I have is 1.050. why would I need to pre-order software that's already out? also, if I bought the full version, would it be reasonable to have access to the beta versions? I checked Butel's site and failed to find a working link for any beta version.

maybe you're thinking of ARC996PRO

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think that DaveIN is confusing the ARC396 beta with the ARC996 beta. The latest version of ARC996 is .091.

Gary

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
I have never had a problem with 1.05 ... whats happening for you?
it usually crashes anywhere from 5 mins to a few hours. this happens on 2 different PCs...one I built and a Gateway at work. I used to have issues with v1.042 crashing as well but I was able to fix it with setting compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME. I tried it with 1.05 but it's even worse. both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. there is really nothing else install in common on either. one thing I noticed after they crash, the EXE is still running in the task manager. I have to kill it manually. most times, it's using about 50% CPU and gobs of memory. it does crash or stop talking to the scanner is I am using Ghost32 with an USB to HDD adapter. I can see this since it is taxing the USB controller heavily.

I'm computer savvy (do it for work) so I don't have anything like spyware or virus related. nothing installed or running that's not needed. one PC (Gateway - work) is an Intel P4 and the other an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+. the Gateway has 1GB DDR RAM, SATA HDD, Intel chipset on the motherboard. the AMD has a WesternDigital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD, 2GB DDR PC4000 RAM, Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT PCI-E video card.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mike_s104 said:
ARC396PRO? the beta I have is 1.050. why would I need to pre-order software that's already out? also, if I bought the full version, would it be reasonable to have access to the beta versions? I checked Butel's site and failed to find a working link for any beta version.

maybe you're thinking of ARC996PRO
That's what I was thinking ARC996, sorry.

oritpro

mike_s104 said:
Has anyone seen a newer beta for ARC396PRO Beta? I like the new features, but it's very unstable. I was hoping to see a new beta or a new final version soon. thanks.
Arc396 is a bit unstable (1.042 and 1.05) and on my system(s) as well. Sometimes it hangs and sits there and flashes like a strobe light in the task bar requiring a task kill to close it; and it occassionally forgets to upload a system when more than one is selected. The user interface is downright awful, and there are so many other glitches in the software I don't know where to begin to make a list for the development team.

Overall I am not very happy :( with Arc396 and have been itching to code my own, but between work, school and family I just don't have the time right now--hopefully after graduation next year.

It is kind of disappointing that better software isn't available for this awesome scanner.

wesct

mike_s104 said:
it usually crashes anywhere from 5 mins to a few hours. this happens on 2 different PCs...one I built and a Gateway at work. I used to have issues with v1.042 crashing as well but I was able to fix it with setting compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME. I tried it with 1.05 but it's even worse. both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. there is really nothing else install in common on either. one thing I noticed after they crash, the EXE is still running in the task manager. I have to kill it manually. most times, it's using about 50% CPU and gobs of memory. it does crash or stop talking to the scanner is I am using Ghost32 with an USB to HDD adapter. I can see this since it is taxing the USB controller heavily.

I'm computer savvy (do it for work) so I don't have anything like spyware or virus related. nothing installed or running that's not needed. one PC (Gateway - work) is an Intel P4 and the other an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+. the Gateway has 1GB DDR RAM, SATA HDD, Intel chipset on the motherboard. the AMD has a WesternDigital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD, 2GB DDR PC4000 RAM, Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT PCI-E video card.
are you using a serial or usb cable?

i use the arc396 pro on a machine that dual boots with windows 2000 and 98se and have had no issues with the software. the next question is: what is running in the backround while using the software? and are you up to date with microsoft (windows update)?

i would also send an email to gommert at butel to see what ideas he may have

wesct

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
wesct said:
are you using a serial or usb cable?

i use the arc396 pro on a machine that dual boots with windows 2000 and 98se and have had no issues with the software. the next question is: what is running in the backround while using the software? and are you up to date with microsoft (windows update)?

i would also send an email to gommert at butel to see what ideas he may have

wesct
serial cable with a serial to USB adapter. I used this cable on my old computer without issues. things only started acting weird when I started using my new PC. as I said before, I am computer literate and know to update things to a point...other times you should leave things alone if all is well. I only usually have a browser, Outlook and AV software running (other then what loads with Windows). I don't think it's software or OS related but rather hardware. I am NOT going to run Windows 98 on a PC just for some software issues that are supposed to work on Windows XP. I like the software and for 80% of the time it's fine. I also have issues with deleting data then loading data. if I do them in seperate steps (open "send data" delete systems, close window then open "send data" again then send the data I want) everything is fine.

right now I have the beta running on my work PC in Windows 98 compatibility mode and it seems OK so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.