ARC396PRO Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone seen a newer beta for ARC396PRO Beta? I like the new features, but it's very unstable. I was hoping to see a new beta or a new final version soon. thanks.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
0.910 is the current beta available to those who pre ordered.

ARC396PRO? the beta I have is 1.050. why would I need to pre-order software that's already out? also, if I bought the full version, would it be reasonable to have access to the beta versions? I checked Butel's site and failed to find a working link for any beta version.

maybe you're thinking of ARC996PRO

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think that DaveIN is confusing the ARC396 beta with the ARC996 beta. The latest version of ARC996 is .091.

Gary

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
I have never had a problem with 1.05 ... whats happening for you?
it usually crashes anywhere from 5 mins to a few hours. this happens on 2 different PCs...one I built and a Gateway at work. I used to have issues with v1.042 crashing as well but I was able to fix it with setting compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME. I tried it with 1.05 but it's even worse. both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. there is really nothing else install in common on either. one thing I noticed after they crash, the EXE is still running in the task manager. I have to kill it manually. most times, it's using about 50% CPU and gobs of memory. it does crash or stop talking to the scanner is I am using Ghost32 with an USB to HDD adapter. I can see this since it is taxing the USB controller heavily.

I'm computer savvy (do it for work) so I don't have anything like spyware or virus related. nothing installed or running that's not needed. one PC (Gateway - work) is an Intel P4 and the other an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+. the Gateway has 1GB DDR RAM, SATA HDD, Intel chipset on the motherboard. the AMD has a WesternDigital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD, 2GB DDR PC4000 RAM, Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT PCI-E video card.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mike_s104 said:
ARC396PRO? the beta I have is 1.050. why would I need to pre-order software that's already out? also, if I bought the full version, would it be reasonable to have access to the beta versions? I checked Butel's site and failed to find a working link for any beta version.

maybe you're thinking of ARC996PRO

That's what I was thinking ARC996, sorry.

oritpro

mike_s104 said:
Has anyone seen a newer beta for ARC396PRO Beta? I like the new features, but it's very unstable. I was hoping to see a new beta or a new final version soon. thanks.

Arc396 is a bit unstable (1.042 and 1.05) and on my system(s) as well. Sometimes it hangs and sits there and flashes like a strobe light in the task bar requiring a task kill to close it; and it occassionally forgets to upload a system when more than one is selected. The user interface is downright awful, and there are so many other glitches in the software I don't know where to begin to make a list for the development team.

Overall I am not very happy :( with Arc396 and have been itching to code my own, but between work, school and family I just don't have the time right now--hopefully after graduation next year.

It is kind of disappointing that better software isn't available for this awesome scanner.

wesct

mike_s104 said:
it usually crashes anywhere from 5 mins to a few hours. this happens on 2 different PCs...one I built and a Gateway at work. I used to have issues with v1.042 crashing as well but I was able to fix it with setting compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME. I tried it with 1.05 but it's even worse. both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. there is really nothing else install in common on either. one thing I noticed after they crash, the EXE is still running in the task manager. I have to kill it manually. most times, it's using about 50% CPU and gobs of memory. it does crash or stop talking to the scanner is I am using Ghost32 with an USB to HDD adapter. I can see this since it is taxing the USB controller heavily.

I'm computer savvy (do it for work) so I don't have anything like spyware or virus related. nothing installed or running that's not needed. one PC (Gateway - work) is an Intel P4 and the other an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+. the Gateway has 1GB DDR RAM, SATA HDD, Intel chipset on the motherboard. the AMD has a WesternDigital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD, 2GB DDR PC4000 RAM, Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT PCI-E video card.

are you using a serial or usb cable?

i use the arc396 pro on a machine that dual boots with windows 2000 and 98se and have had no issues with the software. the next question is: what is running in the backround while using the software? and are you up to date with microsoft (windows update)?

i would also send an email to gommert at butel to see what ideas he may have

wesct

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
wesct said:
are you using a serial or usb cable?

i use the arc396 pro on a machine that dual boots with windows 2000 and 98se and have had no issues with the software. the next question is: what is running in the backround while using the software? and are you up to date with microsoft (windows update)?

i would also send an email to gommert at butel to see what ideas he may have

wesct

serial cable with a serial to USB adapter. I used this cable on my old computer without issues. things only started acting weird when I started using my new PC. as I said before, I am computer literate and know to update things to a point...other times you should leave things alone if all is well. I only usually have a browser, Outlook and AV software running (other then what loads with Windows). I don't think it's software or OS related but rather hardware. I am NOT going to run Windows 98 on a PC just for some software issues that are supposed to work on Windows XP. I like the software and for 80% of the time it's fine. I also have issues with deleting data then loading data. if I do them in seperate steps (open "send data" delete systems, close window then open "send data" again then send the data I want) everything is fine.

right now I have the beta running on my work PC in Windows 98 compatibility mode and it seems OK so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.