ARC500 on com3..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike0627

Hi all,

I am trying to get my Pro-106 working with the trial ARC500 software. The only com port option in th esoftwares window is com1, but my cable is plugged into com3 (it's on the front of the computer and easy to reach) Is there a way to changed the software to com3? or a workaround?

TIA
Mike

puzzleriddle

1st check in device manager & see which 1 is being used.Then go into arc500 & change it to match what is being shown in device manager..

Mike0627

Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't explain it well ... sorry. My radio cable is plugged into COM3, but the only choice for a COM port the software is giving me is COM1. I do not have a choice for com3 at all in the little drop down window. Is there a way to make COM3 active in the software.

Thank again

RomeRon

Hi all,

I am trying to get my Pro-106 working with the trial ARC500 software. The only com port option in th esoftwares window is com1, but my cable is plugged into com3 (it's on the front of the computer and easy to reach) Is there a way to changed the software to com3? or a workaround?

TIA
Mike

There should be software that comes with the cable, I think the driver (com port) is on it. If it came with the software check and see if it has the com port driver, install it before pluging the cable in.

RadioShack USB-PC Scanner Programming Cable : Programming Cables | RadioShack.com

Mike0627

RomeRon

Thank you . That worked! Now Com3 is a choice and is working fine!

Now to figure out WTH I'm looking at here!

I think you get one free download with ARC500, so you need to get it right the first time or you will have to have a paid subscription to RR to download from their data base. will be glad to help, but I need to know your City, County.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
USB/Com ports

When you use the USB ports, the software assigns the number. Depending on what other USB devices you have used, the number has no relation to the place where the device is plugged. My front port is seen as Com 7 by one of my cables. If you check your device manager when the cables are unplugged, you may only see Com 1. Once a device is configured, you should try to use the same port, as you may have to reinstall if you plug into a different USB port.

Your trial download will let you connect the scanner, but I don't think you can access the RR database without a premium membership. I have used ARC500 since it was first available, and it works well with the 106 and updates are free.

Mike0627

I think you get one free download with ARC500, so you need to get it right the first time or you will have to have a paid subscription to RR to download from their data base. will be glad to help, but I need to know your City, County.

Ok thanks! I'd be interested in that! I live in Rhode Island, Providence County.

RomeRon

Ok thanks! I'd be interested in that! I live in Rhode Island, Providence County.

Here is a zip file for Providence City and County, unzip it to your desktop.

Start ARC500 then click the Open button or File, Open, find PRI.gr5 then double click it. You should see 1 trunk system and 36 Talkgroups.

Plug your cable to the scanner and computer, then click Scanner, Upload to Scanner, to program it into the scanner.

Remember to do a File Save As, give it a name like Providence Master, If you want to + or - something in the PRI.gr5 file then save it with another name so your Master file doesn't get messed up.

RomeRon

Last edited:

Mike0627

Thanks so much!

Is there any free software available to program this radio? or will I have to either buy one or hunt & peck all the time?

Thanks again for helping me.

Mike

RomeRon

Thanks so much!

Is there any free software available to program this radio? or will I have to either buy one or hunt & peck all the time?

Thanks again for helping me.

Mike

ARC500, PSREdit 500 and WIN500 all have 30 day trials, after that you will need to buy one of them if you want to program the scanner or you will have to program manually.

Did you upload to the scanner the file I sent you, and does it work?

Mike0627

Well I downloaded it, and will try that this morning hopefully.

Without opening a debate that, of the three pieces of software, what does each do well that the others don't? I think thats the way to think about that!

Thanks - I'll let you koe how it goes.

Mike

Mike0627

Good morning again,

I was able to unzip open and upload the file to the scanner. A few things though. First off, I got no reception. Nothing at all - even with squelch all the way off. Providence is about 10 miles away. I doubt thats too far. On an older setup I was playing with I do receive some conventional frequencies from way further than that. The software also changed the name of your talkgroup from RhodeIslandState to RIPTA-RR That was weird. All the numbers stayed the same... just the Alpha name changed.

So - not understanding how this works yet... I'm a little perplexed. I will be in a meeting all day, so I will check in later.

Thanks again

Mike

RomeRon

Good morning again,

I was able to unzip open and upload the file to the scanner. A few things though. First off, I got no reception. Nothing at all - even with squelch all the way off. Providence is about 10 miles away. I doubt thats too far. On an older setup I was playing with I do receive some conventional frequencies from way further than that. The software also changed the name of your talkgroup from RhodeIslandState to RIPTA-RR That was weird. All the numbers stayed the same... just the Alpha name changed.

So - not understanding how this works yet... I'm a little perplexed. I will be in a meeting all day, so I will check in later.

Thanks again

Mike

We may have to transfer you to a higher level tech support, LOL.
I made up another file, set Roam to Stationary, edited T Tables and added Check all control channels, Give it a try. As I said above we may need more help with this system.

Last edited:

Mike0627

Thanks for trying, but pretty much the same results... except the software did not change the Talkgroup name... Signal stregnth is bouncing only a line or two - even with the squelch all the way down (or up... whichever you call it when it doesn't stop anything!)

I do appreciate your time on this... Someone told me Prov Police is encrypted.. if so would that make a difference? I wouldn't understand them , but they wold still break squealch right? I'm getting nothing at al.

Are they always this hard? Thanks again...

RomeRon

Thanks for trying, but pretty much the same results... except the software did not change the Talkgroup name... Signal stregnth is bouncing only a line or two - even with the squelch all the way down (or up... whichever you call it when it doesn't stop anything!)

I do appreciate your time on this... Someone told me Prov Police is encrypted.. if so would that make a difference? I wouldn't understand them , but they wold still break squealch right? I'm getting nothing at al.

Are they always this hard? Thanks again...
Take a look at this and I will get back with you in a minute.

Rhode Island Statewide Communications Network (RISCON) Trunking System, Statewide, Rhode Island - Scanner Frequencies

Mike0627

Yeah... thats what I heard.. hmmm.... Lots of them seem to be encrypted all through Rhode Island. Do you think thats what I'm bumping up against? Would an encrypted station still break squelch but be unintelligible?

Do you have a software recommendation?

Thanks again

RomeRon

Yeah... thats what I heard.. hmmm.... Lots of them seem to be encrypted all through Rhode Island. Do you think thats what I'm bumping up against? Would an encrypted station still break squelch but be unintelligible?

Do you have a software recommendation?

Thanks again

It should break the squelch, but it would be unintelligible. I think one of the other softwares WIN500 or PSREdit has a place to block out or unblock (not decode) encrypted transmissions. Maybe thats what ARC500 is doing,
Was hoping somebody would jump in and help us out.

I created another file with conventional and trunked, added the North and South Simulcast sites and chose more talkgroups.

Give it a try and let me know what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.