WS1040: System type question

KK4JW

How would I program this system?

I don't care about programming any TG's right now - I want to scan for anything and everything on the system that my scanner will receive. Yes, I know most of it is encrypted. I am leaving the Talk-group list as "wildcard" so it should receive anything that comes across the system that is not encrypted. In the trunk systems underneath "Trunk System Objects", I simply created a MOT800/900 system and inputted the frequencies listed. I turned Digital AGC "on". I did not make any other changes to anything else. No changes to T-tables, no changes to TT-tables.

Should the scanner pick-up and track this system? Or are there more settings that I need to put in to get it to work properly? Thanks!

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
You might consider asking a mod to move this question to the Kentucky forum, where a local person might give you a more specific answer...

Since the system you're looking to monitor is simulcast, you might have some distortion issues, (search LSM in the forums). It could manifest itself as garbled reception, or just be silent, when the scanner clearly shows you're receiving a strong signal. That's been my experience with LSM on my PSR-500 scanners.

Good luck.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
How would I program this system?

I don't care about programming any TG's right now - I want to scan for anything and everything on the system that my scanner will receive. Yes, I know most of it is encrypted. I am leaving the Talk-group list as "wildcard" so it should receive anything that comes across the system that is not encrypted. In the trunk systems underneath "Trunk System Objects", I simply created a MOT800/900 system and inputted the frequencies listed. I turned Digital AGC "on". I did not make any other changes to anything else. No changes to T-tables, no changes to TT-tables.

Should the scanner pick-up and track this system? Or are there more settings that I need to put in to get it to work properly? Thanks!
Is MOT800/900 the correct system type? I don’t recall in GRE speak, but I believe that’s for 3600 systems only.

KK4JW

Is MOT800/900 the correct system type? I don’t recall in GRE speak, but I believe that’s for 3600 systems only.
I am unsure. I assumed it would be correct and that the scanner would handle the P25 decoding. Then again, it's been a LONG time since I've messed with stuff like this, I'm more than rusty.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Set it to P25 Auto, but as noted the system is simulcast so results may be less than stellar.

saioke

Also make sure that the T symbol is appearing after programming a site, this indicates that your scanner is reading the trunking data. If you don't see the T icon, either you didn't program the scanner properly (Using the correct CC frequencies) or, your antenna isn't capable enough.
Regardless, you'll come to learn that the encrypted channels are quite annoying to listen to. You can just do what I do, and lock that TG out when they speak.