Archive Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm curious why the archive time increments have increased from 15 minutes to 30 minutes? As an IPN dispatcher I rely heavily upon them in obtaining confirmation of details I may have missed or misheard. An incident's timeliness is paramount not only to us but our subscribers as well. Our criteria dictates an incident must be labeled "Delayed" if it has been 30 minutes since units arrived on scene confirming an incident which is page-worthy. If the audio segment in need of review exists just after the last 30 minute marker it means an untimely wait for the archive update. Is there ANY way possible they can be reverted back to the former 15 minute increments? Pretty please?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm curious why the archive time increments have increased from 15 minutes to 30 minutes? As an IPN dispatcher I rely heavily upon them in obtaining confirmation of details I may have missed or misheard. An incident's timeliness is paramount not only to us but our subscribers as well. Our criteria dictates an incident must be labeled "Delayed" if it has been 30 minutes since units arrived on scene confirming an incident which is page-worthy. If the audio segment in need of review exists just after the last 30 minute marker it means an untimely wait for the archive update. Is there ANY way possible they can be reverted back to the former 15 minute increments? Pretty please?

Are you serious? wow

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Are you serious? wow. Should you really be depending upon RadioReference to do all the work? Handling / rotating logs for thousands of feeds can'tt be an easy task. I'm sure its resource intensive [and staff intensive if there are problems]. Seems to me the ship might run smoother if logs are rotating half as often as they used to before.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
That was weird.. when I clicked on the link the only text showing was "are you serious? wow" It was to that I replied. Afterwords the remainder of your text became visible. Sorry.

When listening to their feeds I certainly do require the usage of the archives. For the first 9 months as a dispatcher for IPN I had to rely upon a feed to listen to the fire department in my own city as I did not own a scanner capable of hearing the digital radio. Now I own a Uniden BCD396xt I earned through dispatching for IPN. As well I also listen to other areas at times that solely require the usage of a feed. That being said the archives are critical. There are many other dispatchers who use them too. I am not the only one.

Tweekerbob

Hoser has a great idea. Roll your own.

I'm not generally a big fan of RealPlayer, but it might fit your needs. It displays text tags. It also has the ability to record the stream (archiving) and includes a "TIVO like" feature which allows you to pause or go back a bit while still being able to "catch-up" to real time.

Just another idea.

SCPD

QRT
Hoser has a great idea. Roll your own.

I'm not generally a big fan of RealPlayer, but it might fit your needs. It displays text tags. It also has the ability to record the stream (archiving) and includes a "TIVO like" feature which allows you to pause or go back a bit while still being able to "catch-up" to real time.

Just another idea.

Well the problem with Real Player is you can only load one instance of it. Winamp however will play as many as 10 players at once on my laptop. I normally play my hometown in Real Player as this is my most important area. Any of the other areas are relegated to the Winamp players. I've recently discovered the Web Media Player is capable of "playback" but it's quite unstable. If I only listened to one or two feeds I wouldn't require the services of the archives so much. Its easy to listen to 2-3 areas. But 11-12 at once is a different story.

I'm just going to have to understand what Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge. "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome."

So you like to send an incident 15 to 30 mins after its confirmed??? Wow maybe its time for me to change to BNN or another paging group.

SCPD

QRT
So you like to send an incident 15 to 30 mins after its confirmed??? Wow maybe its time for me to change to BNN or another paging group.

You have totally misunderstood my position. I don't like sending anything 15-30 minutes late. I never indicated I "like" anything of the sort. Contrariwise I make every effort to page incidents immediately. Nevertheless, not all incidents are going to be paged in the same breath it is confirmed by arriving units. If you think all of them are you are mistaken. Some paging services, and I won't name them, page stuff hours after the fact on a regular basis with no indication it is delayed. Nevertheless you are certainly free to chose whichever paging service you desire. But I assure you the extra time it may take on occasion to confirm the accuracy of details is what makes us the best paging service out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.