Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW (v.6.0007-017) - expected September 2019
This is a significant eSPYonARD update, with several important additions / changes.

1. NEW BAND SCOPE SELECTION MENU
Users can now enter the Sweep details using a SINGLE selection window . This is a faster method of setting
up the Band Scope, if required.

2. BAND SCOPE MEMORY
The Band Scope now remembers and automatically loads and runs the last selected settings.

3. SKINS
For display clarity, all Band Scope and 'Q' windows now use their own SKIN, which cannot be changed.

4. BAND SCOPE TRACES
'TRACES' are now set to ON by default. Right clicking the button will clear all frequency lines / traces without interrupting the sweep.

5. MEM-BANK
Several refinements added.

6. 'Q' VOLUME
Fixed an issue where the volume selected with the slider was not being remembered correctly when selecting a new 'Q-DB' frequency from a list.

7. NEW BAND SCOPE NOTES - FASTER SETUP
Changing Sweep and Bandwidth values will result in a few seconds delay whilst the new parameters are calculated, however once completed the values are remembered when re-starting the Band Scope. IF those values are NOT altered however, now changing Frequency , Mode etc. using the new 'FAST' setup window, results in almost instant commencement of the sweep. A significant advance.

8. CPU PRIORITY
There is a new button 'PRIORITY' on the SETTINGS window, (opened by right-clicking on the main yellow
screen).'Real Time', 'High', 'Above Normal', or 'Normal' may be selected.

Windows allows the User to select a CPU Priority. The settings are self explanatory, and influence how fast a selected program runs particularly in relation to multi-tasking. The degree of influence depends on many hardware and software factors. Sometimes there will be no noticeable difference, sometimes it may be quite significant.

A high CPU Priority may result in functions such as the Band Scope 'sweep' being faster, and speed increases in other areas. The last selected value is always remembered by the Program, and can also be re-set to 'Normal' during start-up, if required.

9. SEARCH / SCAN DELAY AND PAUSE OPTIONS
Additions and refinements relating to 'SEARCH PAUSE', 'SCAN PAUSE' and the 'SEARCH/SCAN DELAY' settings/sliders.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
v. 6.0007-017 uploaded to www.espyonard.com today

More addition and refinements. Too many to document here. See the Program's Changes Log in the Manual for details

4TH ANNIVERSARY HALF PRICE SALE
For October 2019 ONLY - just £19.99 (incl)

WHY THE HALF PRICE SALE?
This Program has been a labour of love, and after 4 years of intensive, (almost 7/7) development, I want as many full activated versions 'out there' as possible. Perhaps just 'ego', lol, but hopefully it is my contribution to the AR-DV1 and the hobby.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW UPDATE POSTED TODAY
Unless you have tried eSPYonARD recently, or just carried on using the Trial Version for years putting up with its in-built limitations as a money saving exercise just remember how much work has gone into it and check out the NEW versions which have have even more to offer.

Don't miss the October Sale - £19.99 for 1 month only

v. (6.0007-017A) - October 2019
Changes Log:-
1. Q-SCAN AUTO RE-START
During 'Q-SCAN, previously if a default Mode was selected or the SET DELAY window was opened the scan stopped, and had to be manually re-started. The Program now remembers if a scan was in progress, and after either of the above operations are completed the Q-SCAN re-commences automatically
2. 'Q-FILTERS
In 'Q' the user can now use up to 3 filters on a 'Q'-DB' list. Previously there were only two.
3. 'Q' DEFAULT MODE SELECTION
Amended and improved operation when scanning or selecting individual lines in 'Q'.
4. 'SET DELAY' ERROR
Error introduced in 6.0007-17 where an error message may sometimes be generated when opening the SET DELAY window - FIXED.
Buy or download the FREE Trial at www.espyonard.com

Bilbo1942

A good and short USB cable is important for AR-DV1 to work well with eSPYonARD. I previously used a 3 meter long USB cable but have now switched to a 1 meter long cable. The difference is great, much faster data transfer a more stable eSPYonARD. I took the opportunity to simultaneously 3D print a protector for the Micro USB connector. eSPYonARD is a fantastic program especially Q-list. And the best support you can imagine.76283

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I have posted before about the importance of using a 'good quality' USB cable. Length is not the only factor, however the shorter the better. Cheap USB cables use much thinner wires internally, which slows the data transfer rate drastically.

I like the 'protector. you produced. I have also posted about the use of a quality 'magnetic' cable, which protects the USB socket on the Radio from damage.

Both of the above topics are covered in detail at the end of the eSPYonARD Manual, which is included in the FREE Trial download.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
A good and short USB cable is important for AR-DV1 to work well with eSPYonARD. I previously used a 3 meter long USB cable but have now switched to a 1 meter long cable. The difference is great
It is difficult to know how good a USB cable actually is. As a rough guide price is likely to be a factor. Cheap price, cheap cable. The other guide is the overall diam. Thicker ones usually indicate thicker inner cables, so much faster transfer rates.

One Customer emailed me saying the Band Scope sweep speed was almost twice as fast once he switched to a short, 'quality' USB cable. That speed increase will work positively with all functions.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I agree the USB design and capability of both Radio and Computer are important factors. However whatever those values are, the quality especially, and length to a lesser degree, of the USB cable used introduces efficiency factors which can play a not insignificant role, and is the most likely to be within the User's control..

The AR-DV1's USB interface capability is a 'fixed' reality. Upgrading a Computer's USB capabilities are possible, but not inexpensive path. Avoiding cheap and inefficient USB cables, and opting for a short and well designed one seems a reasonable course of action, to me at least.

The other factor is how the User attaches the cable to the P.C. Using a dedicated USB socket is usually the best in my opinion. Using a 'HUB' may be less efficient, as the computer then has to 'poll' between each of the Hub's ports, which will add some delay.

Of course it all depends on what one requires when controlling the DV1 externally. If it is just to enter Frequencies or change a MODE etc then the quality of the cable, or using a multi USB hub, or the slowest USB socket has little importance. If one desires more exotic functions that require many fast exchanges of data, then minimising any USB related bottlenecks become much more important.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Gommert Buijsen (B.Sc.) President of BUTEL Software advised me some time ago that the AOR AR-DV1's USB port is very slow and that it causes problems with virtual scanner remote control.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AOR AR-DV1's USB port is very slow and that it causes problems with virtual scanner remote control

After 4 years of fighting, stroking, cajoling and finding workarounds re. firmware Gremlins to bring eSPYonARD to where it is now, I can't disagree (SIGH).

I know from bitter experience that it is pointless to imagine the DV1 will always 'hear' what it is sent correctly, or send the correct reply the first time around. However with much patience, and occasional tearing of hair I found ways of taming it, LOL. More often than I would like that means incorporating many double checks, and only letting the Program's code move on once it is certain the Radio heard and sent out the right reply.

Relying on the AOR programming guide is also full of pitfalls. So far I have discovered many responses that randomly change slightly. Nothing to do with the speed of communication, but part of the firmware. To describe creating and maintaining programming software for the AR-DV1 as fraught would be an understatement.

Nevertheless it can be done, and its USB speed is fast enough to cope with some sophisticated functions that are part of eSPYonARD and require masses of data going to and forth., providing one takes care to 'catch' the errors and deal with them.

There is also a firmware limit regarding just how fast one can push the DV1, particularly when forcing it to change frequencies very quickly. Once that limit is passed, the frequencies will change at speed, but the Radio cannot latch on to a frequency when it becomes active. I am sure AOR realised that and did not try to go for extreme scanning or search speeds.

The function that requires the most data transfers is the Band Scope, so any bottlenecks caused by an inefficient USB cable are very unwelcome. For a long time I thought any form of Band Scope would be impossible for the above reasons, and even posted saying I did not believe it could be done. Then I thought of a way, and after a lot of time and effort made it work. As it all has to be done by software it will never be as fast as a Radio with an in-built Scope, but it does run as fast as the AR-DV1 will allow, and seeing lines run along the screen is one thing, being able to incorporate lots of things that can be done with the Scope's information as it finds and displays active frequencies is much more important I believe. I put a lot of effort into that aspect, especially integrating it with 'Q'.

Anyone reading this, should not infer that the AR-DV1 is inferior, and that controlling it externally is an issue. It may have caused me, as a the programmer, lots of headaches, but not for the end user who can achieve lots of things with a few mouse clicks, blissfully unaware of all that is going on beneath the surface, lol.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I had an interesting query today from someone who was trying to import a list into 'Q' that contained Swedish characters
"Ö" ; "Å" ; and "Ö" for example.

'Q' uses multiple unique systems to analyse and produce sorted lists, but only uses English alphabet characters and numbers to do so.

He could make a working inter-active list, but those characters produced some inconsistent text.

I certainly do not intend to trawl through the Internet trying to find them all, but if there are any European users for example, whose native Country use a few different characters, such as those with an Umlaut, or Accent on top, then feel free to email me, via the Icon at eSPYonARD.com to discuss this.

I added some algorithms to 'Q' which hopefully work with the Swedish characters, and could I believe add others from different Countries if required.

All I will eventually need is (in text form (- not a photo)) a list of the native Characters, with their nearest equivalent in English, showing them in UPPER and LOWER case.

For example in German
ä, ö etc with an explanation that the closest English characters are 'a' and 'o'.

Hopefully, once I am notified of those types of non English characters, I could include them in the 'Q' sort process so consistent 'Q' lists will be produced automatically.

Of course if you have not tried 'Q' or experienced its results and abilities then perhaps it is time you did, lol.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber

There has been a rumour that AOR are no longer supplying AR-DV1's. As the above post from them is dated 23 October 2019, that is presumably not accurate. Good news.

It states 'Video of the AR-DV1 Digital Voice receiver successfully decoding TETRA trunked traffic channels of a train station in Paris-France.
(The LCD shows the mode as being "T-VD" which once was a temporary name used for the present "T-TC" mode)'

Strange the DV1's display is showing 'T-VD' unless it caught a 'STD', lol

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
WHAT WILL BE IN THE NEXT eSPYonARD UPDATE
v. (6.0007-018) Expected - Oct 2019
1. 'Q' AUTO WINDOW
Added Frequency box as an aid if other windows have been minimised. This also indicates if a sweep is in progress. As before clicking on a line sends the details to the DV1 and the Sweep stops.
2. BAND SCOPE DELAY
Added an 'INPUT' option to the list of values. If selected the User can enter a PAUSE value between 1 and 90 seconds.
3. 'Q' SCAN DELAY
Setting 'Q PAUSE' to '0' in the 'SET DELAY' window will make a 'Q' Scan stop on the open frequency, and NOT move on until the carrier is lost. How long it waits after the carrier disappears is determined by the SCAN PAUSE selection.
If the 'Q PAUSE' is set to a specified figure, the Program stops on the open carrier, and waits for the selected number of seconds, the continues to SCAN, whether the carrier is still present or not
The 'SCAN PAUSE' setting (maximum 60 seconds) is accessed via the SCAN PAUSE button in 'SET DELAY'. This setting causes the Program to wait for the selected period before moving on when the 'Q' Scan delay is set to '0'. If a new carrier appears during this PAUSE, the scan waits again before re-commencing.
NOTE The Program remembers all 'SET DELAY' settings EXCEPT if 'Q PAUSE' is set to '0'. On re-boot the setting has a default value of 10 seconds. i.e. when scanning, when an active signal is detected the Program wits for 10 seconds then moves on automatically.
If you wish, as a temporary measure, to prevent a particular frequency line from halting the scan, whilst it is highlighted click the ADD '*' button. This appends a '*' to the line, and IF the Q Scan delay is '0 that line will be ignored. A '*' can be removed' by clicking the REM '*' button. Right clicking it when the list is NOT being scanned removes all '*'s from the list.
4. ANALOGUE SCRAMBLER SETTING
Fixed an issue where if the Analogue Scrambler was 'ON' and the window was open the actual setting number next to the slider was not updated.
5. AUTOMATIC MODE SELECTION IN 'Q' FILES
When loading / importing a 'Q' fie, and the lines contained no Mode, PREVIOUS versions included code which tested the frequencies and automatically inserted the most likely Mode for them.
This code has been removed. You can of course select a default Mode if necessary by clicking the 'DEF MODE' button, and all frequencies , without a Mode in the line in the list, will use that.
IF some lines contain a Mode reference, the standard default mode will not be applied to that line. Right-clicking 'DEF MODE' forces the Program to select that Mode for ALL lines.
6. VOLUME AND SQUELCH BARS - MAIN SCREEN
The bars beneath the Volume and Squelch sliders on the Main screen are used to immediately switch either value to '0', and by clicking them again to restore the previous settings. NOW they turn 'RED' if at zero, 'GREY' if not, as a quick visual indication of their current state

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
In the last 2 days I was made aware of a problem. The latest Windows 10 update resulted in a Run-Time 13 error message when starting eSPYonARD.

Previous versions of Windows 10 and Windows 7 remain unaffected.

Just received confirmation from two BETA testers that I have discovered and fixed the new Windows 10 generated error. Will upload the latest version v. 6.0007-018 within a few days.

Further to the post above I have found a way of making the Band Scope 'sweep' almost twice the previous speed, and added a few more things too.

Will let everyone know when the new update goes live.

Zodian01

Hi.
Recently purchased an AR DV 10. Does anyone have a viable link to a driver for Windows7 that actually works. The DV 10 is pretty much useless to me without the ability to link to my computer.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Regards, Anthony.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber

This is what I use for Windows 7 with eSPYonARD. The SILAB driver definitely works. If you install it and then cannot connect post here.

The link is on my own server so I will not leave the link 'active' for very long. I have tested the Link.

Please let me know if you downloaded it OK

Cheers
Jeff

Zodian01

This is what I use for Windows 7 with eSPYonARD. The SILAB driver definitely works. If you install it and then cannot connect post here.

The link is on my own server so I will not leave the link 'active' for very long. I have tested the Link.

Please let me know if you downloaded it OK

Cheers
Jeff
Hi Jeff.

Many thanks for the swift response. Downloaded the driver from your server. I tried running the application and got the following message 'Device driver software was not successfully installed'. The DV10 is appearing in my devices and printers, however it has a yellow triangle showing and says it needs trouble shooting. I have done this several times and get the following message. AOR AR DV10 doesn't have a driver'.

Are you able to assist????

Regards, Ant.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Hi.
Recently purchased an AR DV 10. Does anyone have a viable link to a driver for Windows7 that actually works. The DV 10 is pretty much useless to me without the ability to link to my computer.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Regards, Anthony.

FIRST - NEVER ASSUME YOUR USB CABLE IS NOT THE CULPRIT

Many are designed to carry voltage only, not two-way data.

Always have at least one other on hand to test with.

Even if the radio shows its 'connected' symbol then with some drivers (especially those downloaded and installed automatically by Windows), the AR-DV1 and Computer will not communicate correctly.

Problems can also occur if you, or another Program have manually altered the default Com settings on your AR-DV1.

Please look in Window's Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT)

Double click on the Silicon Labs entry and check the following:-
(The entry will only appear if drivers are installed and when a working USB cable is connected to a powered AR-DV1)

General TAB
Manufacturer Silicon Laborities

Port Settings TAB
Bits per second: 115200
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Click on Advanced, and deselect Use FIFO buffers

(If everything works, then you can return to this item and select FIFO buffers. If still working leave them selected)

(The Bits per second is negotiated between the AR-DV1 and computer, and will run at the highest possible rate, but use the above setting please)

Driver TAB
Driver: Provider Silicon Laboratories
Driver: Date 18/10/2013
Driver: Version 6.6.1.0

If your PC is showing different information, particularly the Driver Version, you should:-

1. Click the Driver TAB

2. Click 'Uninstall'

3. A new window appears - tick the box 'Delete the driver software etc'

****IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU DO THIS OR WINDOWS WILL JUST REINSTALL THE SAME DRIVER AGAIN****

Click OK and once the driver has gone, close the Windows and go back to your Desktop.

4. Unplug you AR-DV1 from the computer
****IMPORTANT TO DO THIS****

5. Extract the files from the zipped CP210x folder

6. The extracted folders / files will now appear

7. If you have a 64 bit version of windows, double click on:-

CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe
or the _86.exe file for 32 bit (I found this to be the best driver for 64 bit systems too)

8. Once the installation has finished, reconnect your AR-DV1, go back to Device Manage and check
the driver has installed,
****MAKE A NOTE OF THE COM PORT NUMBER****
and
Go into the Com Port settings and make sure they are as set out as above (including the
FIFO buffers.

AR-DV1 SETTINGS
On the AR-DV1 when NOT connected via USB cable

Press 'F'
Press the '7' key

Use the up/down keys to go to page 2/4
The REMOTE.BPS figure should be 115200 (if different change it by turning the tuning knob).

Go to page 3/4
RES.CODE must be set to 'ON'
---------------------------------------------------------------
Serial Port communication has one constant over the years. Usually it goes without a hitch, however if a problem occurs then it is usually a 'swine' to track down the culprit(s), and invariably the Gremlins fight hard before they are defeated. The above should do the trick.

Last edited:

Zodian01

FIRST - NEVER ASSUME YOUR USB CABLE IS NOT THE CULPRIT

Many are designed to carry voltage only, not two-way data.

Always have at least one other on hand to test with.

Even if the radio shows its 'connected' symbol then with some drivers (especially those downloaded and installed automatically by Windows), the AR-DV1 and Computer will not communicate correctly.

Problems can also occur if you, or another Program have manually altered the default Com settings on your AR-DV1.

Please look in Window's Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT)

Double click on the Silicon Labs entry and check the following:-
(The entry will only appear if drivers are installed and when a working USB cable is connected to a powered AR-DV1)

General TAB
Manufacturer Silicon Laborities

Port Settings TAB
Bits per second: 115200
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Click on Advanced, and deselect Use FIFO buffers

(If everything works, then you can return to this item and select FIFO buffers. If still working leave them selected)

(The Bits per second is negotiated between the AR-DV1 and computer, and will run at the highest possible rate, but use the above setting please)

Driver TAB
Driver: Provider Silicon Laboratories
Driver: Date 18/10/2013
Driver: Version 6.6.1.0

If your PC is showing different information, particularly the Driver Version, you should:-

1. Click the Driver TAB

2. Click 'Uninstall'

3. A new window appears - tick the box 'Delete the driver software etc'

****IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU DO THIS OR WINDOWS WILL JUST REINSTALL THE SAME DRIVER AGAIN****

Click OK and once the driver has gone, close the Windows and go back to your Desktop.

4. Unplug you AR-DV1 from the computer
****IMPORTANT TO DO THIS****

5. Extract the files from the zipped CP210x folder

6. The extracted folders / files will now appear

7. If you have a 64 bit version of windows, double click on:-

CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe
or the _86.exe file for 32 bit (I found this to be the best driver for 64 bit systems too)

8. Once the installation has finished, reconnect your AR-DV1, go back to Device Manage and check
the driver has installed,
****MAKE A NOTE OF THE COM PORT NUMBER****
and
Go into the Com Port settings and make sure they are as set out as above (including the
FIFO buffers.

AR-DV1 SETTINGS
On the AR-DV1 when NOT connected via USB cable

Press 'F'
Press the '7' key

Use the up/down keys to go to page 2/4
The REMOTE.BPS figure should be 115200 (if different change it by turning the tuning knob).

Go to page 3/4
RES.CODE must be set to 'ON'
---------------------------------------------------------------
Serial Port communication has one constant over the years. Usually it goes without a hitch, however if a problem occurs then it is usually a 'swine' to track down the culprit(s), and invariably the Gremlins fight hard before they are defeated. The above should do the trick.

Hi Marlbrook.

Have done a complete System Restore on my PC in case there were any previous installed versions of the driver. Downloaded the driver again but still no joy. The driver will not install on my computer and Windows7 cant find a driver despite it searching for over half an hour. Wrote to AOR and got the following response '

AOR U.S.A.
16:00 (1 hour ago)
to Ikuko, me

Hello Ant,

The US consumer version of the AR-DV10 is distributed by Yaesu USA.
Please contact them for further details.

Regards,

AOR U.S.A.

Couldn't find any drivers on the Yaesu website either.

Really at the end of my tether with this. Anyone want to buy an unboxed, unused AR-DV10.? Will do you a great deal.
I'll stick with my Pro-97.

Frustrated, Ant.