Are 800 mhz Maxtrac useful for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

petnrdx

I see lots of people using "discriminator taps" on scanners here.
My question is are the old Maxtrac mobiles a useful choice for monitoring these control channels.
I am a radio tech, and know lots about repeaters (I have built or worked on hundreds) and I know enuf about trunking. ( I have used both Motorola and EDACS)
But, I have not had the need to use a scanner for control channel use, if I need to listen, I use one of my service monitors, or I program up a Maxtrac.
I recall several years ago a friend of mine that was into scanning was using one 800 scanner with disc output to "drive" the other scanner.
Are Maxtracs programmed to the control channels of any use?
Or is the way these are being used needing to be frequency agile?
I have several of these left over, and the only other use I have is for 900 mhz Ham repeater receivers.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Maxtracs with the 16 pin connectors on the back are very useful. Pin 11 provides discriminator audio (7 is ground). Program the control channel in and you have an excellent trunk data radio. Obviously if you monitor a system that changes control channels often or if you need to ensure that there is minimal loss of data, you need to enter all the systems control channels and use the radio in scan.
I use Maxtracs and Spectras (pin 11 also, ground is 8) for my decoding.

chris

petnrdx

OK, thanks.
That answers part of my question.
I use LOTs of Maxtracs/Radius/Gm300 radio for receivers, links, repeaters, etc.
I am just not familiar with what people are monitoring the control channels for.
But, if you are doing it, then there must be a use for it.
I may go thru this pile of 800 mhz Maxtracs and make some good ones to sell or trade.
Thanks again for the reply.

cg

Premium Subscriber
the purpose is to watch the complete operation of a trunked system on a computer. Additionally, you can use the data channel as your friend did and operate a connected scanner with far more control. Just another part of the hobby.

chris

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I use a GTX for T88 which is pretty much the same as a Maxtrac -- same interface. Works better than any scanner ever could!

Status
Not open for further replies.