• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are CB Radio's fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I was thinking of getting myself a handheld CB radio. Is it fun to talk/use them? So many people use them so I was wondering...it may be good to have in a car when traveling or just for fun...any ideas?

JoeyC

Everybody has an opinion. My opinion is no, they are not fun. They are annoying. Lots of noise, people talking over each other, people running illegal power and jerks who think they own the airwaves. Good luck!

N0IU

I have 8 grandchildren and I wouldn't let any of them list to CB even if I had one (which I don't)!

Save your money and get an amateur radio license. The technician license is pretty easy plus ALL of the test questions AND answers are online. Quite frankly, they are really pretty easy to memorize in a couple of weeks... or less!

And the good thing (as far as some are concerned) is that there is no longer a Morse code requirement. Personally, I enjoy the mode, but I am just an OF!

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
CB is its own thing.....if you really want to talk to people nicely and learn about radio, how it works, how to play with electronics etc. get an amateur license instead.

CB is the wild west of radio transmission. It's more about screwing with people than being human

EC-7

Yes CBs are fun. Im both a CBer and a HAM operator. IF you want to get traffic backups, cop locations, local info, chit-chat, BS or joke around, get a CB.

I was big into HAM radio for a while, but it became old, fast Its too politically correct, and all you hear about it what medications and health problems the old people have. Most HAM's in my area have taken the fun out of it, and try to be "radio police" and wanna-be's. Who cares if they think they are supurior just cause of a test. I passed my test at 14, so ANYONE can pass it, and I was an idiot on the HAM bands back then too. There are a LOT of HAMS who still use CB, but dont admit it, cause of old farts who complain, but thats where 90% of HAMS started.

There is nothing wrong with CB, as long as you can deal with some idiots, or learn to turn the channel or volume down. Its a great source of info or 2-way entertainment, besides just listening on a scanner.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
If you are serious about a CB for your vehicle I would go with a full size uniden or cobra and not the typical handheld/walkie talkie type.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
CB's are something i have in my pick up truck but only turn on when on the highway in heavy traffic, too many people acting like they are 10 feet tall and yelling at others as they hide in the anon world of radio, you will get some good info if you don't mind putting up with the mental midgets that seem to seep in to every public domain, in other words.......go get a good radio and play with it, if you like it, great.

good luck, Gary

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
What I would be using it for if I got it was traffic and weather. It would be off probably most of the time unless I wanted to chat to truckers lol. I figured it would be a handy thing to have in the car just in case something happened or if I was bored in traffic lol...

Allan_Love_Jr

The CB Radio can be fun. Yes it can. The only time it gets noisy is at day light hours when the Truckers are talking. Other than that. 99% of the time all 39 Channels are super quiet all day long. No one says anything.

nova1010

I'd have to agree with EC-7 on this one,if you want one get one it can be fun at times and annoying at others buy one try it out you never know until you get one.

Back when I had one it was alot of fun I wish it never died out here,allways good to turn on for a good laugh once in a while.

I've met alot of good people too not all CBers are wackos :lol:

Allan_Love_Jr

I'd have to agree with EC-7 on this one,if you want one get one it can be fun at times and annoying at others buy one try it out you never know until you get one.

Back when I had one it was alot of fun I wish it never died out here,allways good to turn on for a good laugh once in a while.

I've met alot of good people too not all CBers are wackos :lol:
Just stay off Channel 19.

safetyobc

If you have friends or relatives that you can chat with, it might be fun. But for the most part the truckers talk so nasty on there it isn't family friendly.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
It's a lot about where you are as well....for both CB and ham radio (repeaters/simplex/local)

I started in CB years ago and liked it a lot, but we had an oasis of sorts with maybe 20 or so people who all got along well, did projects together, met for lunch on weekends every week and on and on. A few people moved, a few died and it fell apart. All that was left was people cursing at each other, causing interference...all the usual games.

Right before I got my ham license, I was thinking about getting back into CB after 15yrs or so of a break. I fired up a radio for a few weeks just to listen to what was going on and decided to just get my ham license. I've never had any regrets about it.

For open highway driving, CB is still the king though.

Allan_Love_Jr

It's a lot about where you are as well....for both CB and ham radio (repeaters/simplex/local)

I started in CB years ago and liked it a lot, but we had an oasis of sorts with maybe 20 or so people who all got along well, did projects together, met for lunch on weekends every week and on and on. A few people moved, a few died and it fell apart. All that was left was people cursing at each other, causing interference...all the usual games.

Right before I got my ham license, I was thinking about getting back into CB after 15yrs or so of a break. I fired up a radio for a few weeks just to listen to what was going on and decided to just get my ham license. I've never had any regrets about it.

For open highway driving, CB is still the king though.
I hope I don't get canned for saying this. But the reason why there is so much trash talking over the CB Radio is because the FCC doesn't have the "Balls" to do anything about it. There cowards. They should do something about it instead of just brushing if over and letting all those trash talkers take over the airwaves. Bye :)

acepilot340

In my opinion if you are going on a road trip alone or with someone it's nice to have a CB just to shoot the breeze, pass time, and stay awake. The only thing is the CB radios from the factory are limited to 4 watts and even with a properly tuned antenna you are only going to get 2 miles at best which just isn't practical on the interstate; so many go and get the radio 'peaked and tuned' to get a range of 10-15 miles. Sure its illegal and such, but If nobody can hear you driving down the interstate whats the point of having a CB?

Allan_Love_Jr

In my opinion if you are going on a road trip alone or with someone it's nice to have a CB just to shoot the breeze, pass time, and stay awake. The only thing is the CB radios from the factory are limited to 4 watts and even with a properly tuned antenna you are only going to get 2 miles at best which just isn't practical on the interstate; so many go and get the radio 'peaked and tuned' to get a range of 10-15 miles. Sure its illegal and such, but If nobody can hear you driving down the interstate whats the point of having a CB?
They get out farther than what you know buddy :) Trust me.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I hope I don't get canned for saying this. But the reason why there is so much trash talking over the CB Radio is because the FCC doesn't have the "Balls" to do anything about it. There cowards. They should do something about it instead of just brushing if over and letting all those trash talkers take over the airwaves. Bye :)

So, are YOU going to sit quiet and still for a major tax hike to pay for all that enforcement? I should hope so, after that post...

Status
Not open for further replies.