Are Enroute Flight Advisory Frequencies Active? (NOT ATIS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

air-scan

Clinton-Sherman, OK - RCAG 132.775MHz ZFW Enroute Flight Advisory Service

Has anyone here who lives in Oklahoma City and Oklahoma County ever actually hear activity on 132.775MHz? I programmed it into my CC Skywave SSB out of curiosity.

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
I don't know where the transmission originates, but i can't hear that frequency within 5 miles of CSM. Isn it 24 HRS a day like ATIS?

Techholder88

Short answer: Probably not much activity at all on that frequency as they discontinued its use on October 1, 2015. Prior to this date it still was only an "on demand" use frequency versus a continuous broadcast like an ATIS, AWOS, or ASOS.

Long answer: Enroute Flight Advisory Service, also known as "Flight Watch" is/was a service available to pilots to provide them with weather data tailored to their specific altitude and route by using the most current sources of information. They used to use 122.0 for aircraft in flight from the surface to 18,000 feet and discrete frequencies for aircraft flying from FL180 to FL600. They stopped using 122.0 and the high altitude discrete frequencies on October 1, 2015. 133.775 used to be the discrete higher altitude frequency for Fort Worth Center but I also am not sure where the antenna was located (I believe this is the one you are referring to but you have it typed as 132.775?). Enroute weather information is still provided to aircraft on Flight Service Station frequencies found on aviation charts and transmitted via VOR stations around the US (Various frequencies from 122.15-122.65 but the catch all is now 122.2). With the rise of the Internet and advances in technology, pilots are able to get their weather information much easier now rather than having to get their information via 2 way AM radio communication. I remember using their services as a young student pilot back in 2009 and they provided the weather information I needed to hear to make a command decision about the circumstances with the weather I had along my flight route. Today as a professional pilot, I have many other resources available but it is one more tool on my belt that I could use if necessary.

air-scan

Short answer: Probably not much activity at all on that frequency as they discontinued its use on October 1, 2015. Prior to this date it still was only an "on demand" use frequency versus a continuous broadcast like an ATIS, AWOS, or ASOS.

Long answer: Enroute Flight Advisory Service, also known as "Flight Watch" is/was a service available to pilots to provide them with weather data tailored to their specific altitude and route by using the most current sources of information. They used to use 122.0 for aircraft in flight from the surface to 18,000 feet and discrete frequencies for aircraft flying from FL180 to FL600. They stopped using 122.0 and the high altitude discrete frequencies on October 1, 2015. 133.775 used to be the discrete higher altitude frequency for Fort Worth Center but I also am not sure where the antenna was located (I believe this is the one you are referring to but you have it typed as 132.775?). Enroute weather information is still provided to aircraft on Flight Service Station frequencies found on aviation charts and transmitted via VOR stations around the US (Various frequencies from 122.15-122.65 but the catch all is now 122.2). With the rise of the Internet and advances in technology, pilots are able to get their weather information much easier now rather than having to get their information via 2 way AM radio communication. I remember using their services as a young student pilot back in 2009 and they provided the weather information I needed to hear to make a command decision about the circumstances with the weather I had along my flight route. Today as a professional pilot, I have many other resources available but it is one more tool on my belt that I could use if necessary.
I got that frequency from Fort Worth (ZFW) Air Route Traffic Control Center Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (radioreference.com) I did not know they discontinued that service.
Screenshot 2021-07-20 080851.png

kny2xb

Long answer: Enroute Flight Advisory Service, also known as "Flight Watch" is/was a service available to pilots to provide them with weather data tailored to their specific altitude and route by using the most current sources of information. They used to use 122.0 for aircraft in flight from the surface to 18,000 feet and discrete frequencies for aircraft flying from FL180 to FL600. They stopped using 122.0 and the high altitude discrete frequencies on October 1, 2015.

I don't delete all my old files

133.775 is still listed as Hi Altitude Flight Watch for Fort Worth Center in the DOD IFR dated 15-Aug-2019 to 20-Oct-2019, I don't have any newer versions of the IFR

Don't they keep their info updated, or can the military do it's own thing & keep using those frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.