Are scanners live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Im new here & to all this scanner stuff & was wondering when i listen to the scanner on my phone are they live feeds or they just pre-recorded messages? Can someone please let me know.

many thanks

Scoodbiedoobie78

bezking

What you are hearing is live but the audio is delayed by several seconds due to the nature of how audio streaming works.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the real answer is yes/kinda and no

Yes/kinda= There is a delay as the data gets decoded by the scanner, then sent to the computer, then sent to the internet, then to your phone. (30sec-2min.) Note: police response times to calls are 2-5mins.

No= alot of people put delays on their feeds so criminals can't use them for illegal activities. (Usually 15min)

IredellMon

No= alot of people put delays on their feeds so criminals can't use them for illegal activities. (Usually 15min)
is it really a lot of people adding a delay?

Since the OP's question has been answered let me divert this thread just a little.. can you point me to the methods used to get the delay of 10-15 mins? Is it software? I don't want to do this on my feed but might need to (the normal 30-60 sec delay might not be enough). I saw a little bit of info in my Google search but nothing that sounded very easy to set up.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
is it really a lot of people adding a delay?

Since the OP's question has been answered let me divert this thread just a little.. can you point me to the methods used to get the delay of 10-15 mins? Is it software? I don't want to do this on my feed but might need to. I saw a little bit of info in my Google search but nothing that sounded very easy to set up.

Well, to save me a lot of typing I would point you to the "Live Audio Feed" forum. There have been many threads regarding setting up delays.

Those threads should walk you through doing it, if not, let me know.

Last edited:

IredellMon

Well, to save me a lot of typing I would point you to the "Live Audio" forum. There have been many threads regarding setting up delays.

Those threads should walk you through doing it, if not, let me know.

well i will keep looking. but I have searched and not found much that was helpful so far. I'll subscribe to this thread also just in case something helpful is added.

OCO

The last I knew, there was a specific "don't do it or (we'll) drop your feed" policy concerning intentional long delays in feeds. The thread you just posted has such a statement from Lindsay...

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Ya, I'm reading through hundreds of posts trying to find the good "How to" post I remembered...

I'm not promoting an hour long delay, just giving stats of what it would use on his end.

IredellMon

The last I knew, there was a specific "don't do it or (we'll) drop your feed" policy concerning intentional long delays in feeds. The thread you just posted has such a statement from Lindsay...

Well that is a pity.. I agree there is no need for an hour long delay but if a police dispatch channel routinely has transmissions that could endanger people if known by the bad guys, then a 10-15 min delay is fair. Like I said, I don't want to do this but it might be needed. I am in a wait and see mode now. I think Lindsay needs to rethink that policy since it could go a long way to avoiding lawsuits against him and the broadcasters. (The lawsuits might be dismissed in any case but avoiding them in the first place is worthwhile.. trust one who has been sued for no good reason in a case that took years to be dismissed).
I also note that "no added delays" in not the feed providers agreement.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber

I just re-read and maybe I missed something, but all I saw was:

Here is another thing to consider. Someone could very easily come in and say "I want to provide this feed in real-time vs the existing delayed feed."

What do we do then? Terminate the delayed feed and let the real-time feed take precedence? Don't allow the new feed? Run them together?

Remember, we have a large community here, and we add 5-10 new feeds every day.

Can of worms :)

We don't have any immediate plans to implement systemwide abilities for audio feed delays - so if you don't agree with that then please either take your feed offline or don't start one. Thanks.

The 2nd quote means on RR's side not the provider's

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Like I said, I don't want to do this but it might be needed. I am in a wait and see mode now.

Well, if it's not needed now, I'll let you post a thread asking for a how-to either here, or on the proscan help forum.

IredellMon

Well, if it's not needed now, I'll let you post a thread asking for a how-to either here, or on the proscan help forum.
that will work, even though I should have said that it MIGHT be needed now, I just don't have the information to know if it is. Some of what I have heard on my feed does concern me, but the agency does have options for secure comm if they choose to use it. \

My intent was that if I deemed it necessary, or if the agency that I am broadcasting asked, I would know if it were technically possible and how long it would take to implement. Just wanted to be prepared to handle whatever comes up. I prefer real-time audio, but I will always put safety first (within reason).

I'm considering some feeds for the Dem Convention also but security might be even a bigger concern then, so again knowing how to quickly add a delay might be a good thing.

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering some feeds for the Dem Convention also but security might be even a bigger concern then, so again knowing how to quickly add a delay might be a good thing.

Thanks for the help and guidance.

I can tell you from experience that this will require a delay!! Three letter agencies will "ask" that you do :) (Well, I guess if it was very generic/boring tgids you might not have a issue)
I know people here in MPLS who got visits when broadcasting during the Republican Conv. (they were asked to do 1.5 hr. delays)

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
radiofeed allows you to do it on your side easily and 1hour delay only uses 10mb and cpu usage is insignificant

That's false. RadioFeed/ProScan does not have a delay other then a few hundred milliseconds for capturing/processing. Where did you get the 1 Hour and 10mb from?

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
That's false. RadioFeed/ProScan does not have a delay other then a few hundred milliseconds for capturing/processing. Where did you get the 1 Hour and 10mb from?

My bad, you had posted that you did a test and that's what it took.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
My bad, you had posted that you did a test and that's what it took.

One time, I did a test and able to delay the audio. Text tags synchronization was somewhat problematic and Lindsay didn't want delayed feeds so I dropped it.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
ok, I just saw that post and never saw a post about dropping it, so I posted it.

How do people delay the audio when asked by the agencies they are feeding? I know it's been done a number of times. (As in the Republican Conv. example)

If he really is against 5-10min. delays, I guess I can understand some of the growing discontent in the LEO community about RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.