• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are The CDM series of radios DTMF Capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Shop

So I wanted to know if any of the cdm series of radios decode dtmf tones. we have cdm 1250/cdm1550 and cdm1550ls+ on the shelves and i need to setup a station alarm system for one of our fire stations who get toned out using dtmf. Also they do not recieve tones on their xts5000r's and im not sure why they dont>>? are some of the 5000's not dtmf capable? kind of like only certain ht1250ls+'s are quickcall II compatable?

Sorry for all the dumb questions i started out just being the guy who installed the radios into the ambo's and fire trucks but now im getting sucked into the handheld and programming side of things! :mad:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
So I wanted to know if any of the cdm series of radios decode dtmf tones. we have cdm 1250/cdm1550 and cdm1550ls+ on the shelves and i need to setup a station alarm system for one of our fire stations who get toned out using dtmf. Also they do not recieve tones on their xts5000r's and im not sure why they dont>>? are some of the 5000's not dtmf capable? kind of like only certain ht1250ls+'s are quickcall II compatable?

Sorry for all the dumb questions i started out just being the guy who installed the radios into the ambo's and fire trucks but now im getting sucked into the handheld and programming side of things! :mad:
Yes, the CDM's will do that.

Can't help with the other series.

Radio_Shop

Ok so im a rookie and must be doing something wrong. in the cdm cps. I go to the signaling option of the tree type in my primary ID. then i go to my conv. personality and click on ch 2 thats the channel we transmit dtmf tones on. when i click on the signaling tab of channel 2 I only see the dtmf option in the drop down box of the TX. This radio needs to alarm the crew once it recieives or (decodes) a dtmf tone so wouldn't I need the dtmf option enabled on the RX side?

Sorry for all the rookie questions im sure this is a simple fix and im just a bone head!

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
the CDM 750 is encode only, the 1250/1550 do encode and decode.

Radio_Shop

im working on a 1550ls+ im wondering if this is a model number issue simular to the ht1250ls+'s only having quick-call II on certain model numbers? what do you guys think!

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
OLDER 1550LS are whole other animals on their options. They don't support DTMF decode only encode, at least according to one of my old price books. Try one of your non LS radios, if the alerting is not done on a LTR group then you can just put in the repeater channel.

Also, there are aftermarket DTMF decode boards available but you will have to be comfortable wiring them in to the radio or accy port.

a417

U+0000
LS+ (which is actually a feature limited model of the LS, despite the ironic "+" in the name) came in a couple of different model revisions, what's the model # you have? I have seemingly identical models, both LS+ ... and one will do signalling, and one won't...

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
LS+ (which is actually a feature limited model of the LS, despite the ironic "+" in the name) came in a couple of different model revisions, what's the model # you have? I have seemingly identical models, both LS+ ... and one will do signalling, and one won't...
Fully agree. I've got three LS+'s in my inventory that are a constant source of headaches because of these limitations (or is it features?)

If the OP would put up the model number of the radio, I (or someone else) can check what it will or won't do in DTMF.

FWIW, using a radio without the LS bells and whistles like the CDM1250 might work better because we know the DTMF is fully functional on both Tx and Rx in that model. I believe a straight CDM1550 will do so as well.

Radio_Shop

No luck gents just pulled a 1250 and a 1550 off the shelf read them and once again no option for dtmf-1 under the signaling tab on the specific channel i need tones on. the dtmf option there on the initial tree veiw but not on the channel rx drop down box only on the tx drop down box!!?!?!?!?!? whiskey tango foxtrot!

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
because the LS/+ series are LTR trunk capable so some "features" were removed.

I just programmed an old 750 portable this morning and the ONLY signaling it supports is MDC. yet a newer revision of the same one supports DTMF and 2 tone as well. It all depends on when the unit was made as to which features it had. When the CDM and CM lines came out you actually had to drop down to the CM line to get many of these options.

Radio_Shop

good info thanks. so it basicly comes down to finding out what model number of cdm if any supports recieving dtmf tones

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Further research (google searches) shows that the CDM's need an option board (AAHLN9729C) installed in them to decode DTMF:

Batboard • View topic - CDM1250 - DTMF Rx signalling

Batboard • View topic - CDM1250 Call Alert

Edit to add: AAHLN9729C is $104 from MOL.

2nd Edit to add: There is also AAHHLN4182A DTMF Decode Option Board - Field Install Only (only compatible with CDM1250 & CDM1550) for $82.50

Also needed is RLN4823B Mobile Option Board Installation Kit (required to install Option Boards for $16.50

Last edited:

Radio_Shop

were both on the bal I just called moto and found out the same thing so we are ditching the cdm idea and going to the xtl1500. Thanks for all the helpfull input guys!

cabletech

radio_shop are you REALLY sure that the department is using DTMF?

You do know the differance between DTMF, Quick call and how they work, right?

DTMF is the tones you get when you press a button an any phone and in some radio mics.

Quick Call is a form of tone signaling that works very differant.

I would say that 99.9.3% of ALL fire departments use a form of Quick Call and not DTMF.

Status
Not open for further replies.