Are the Pro-197 and Pro-106 the same radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrak

They are both the same radio in terms of functions and ability, but the 197 is a mobile/base while the 106 is a portable hand held.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
I was going over the specs for these two here on radio reference and although very similar they are not the same? 197 has one set of extra frequencies, 791-796.996875 and spectrum sweeper while the 106 has signal staker II that will not run in the back ground.

There are a few other minor things that may just be worded differently. I am looking to buy one of these radios. Other than the desktop-handheld difference (which won't make a difference for my use), which is the better radio?

bill67

Pro 106 / pro 197

I have just programmed both types recently and they are basically the same for programming. The 106 does NOT come with 9 volt adaptor or batteries ( 4 required ). The 197 does come with ac adaptor and does not require battery backup for memory, also has wire harness for hooking into 12 volt vehicle. Both take some time to understand instruction manual but once you get used to it you will like either model.

N1BHH

The only difference between the two is the obvious. One is a hand held, the other a mobile/home type. They are just packaged into different boxes is all. Otherwise you have all the same features in both. All object searches are conducted exactly the same way in both radios.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
The only difference between the two is the obvious. One is a hand held, the other a mobile/home type. They are just packaged into different boxes is all. Otherwise you have all the same features in both. All object searches are conducted exactly the same way in both radios.

I did ask "Other than the desktop-handheld difference"

If you look at my previous post I did find some differences in features, at least the way they are listed on the RR site, and wanted to know, noting those differences, which is the better radio out of the box.

I am new to the digital world of scanning, I have and still use an old Pro-2022 My local county can still be heard on that scanner but the nearby city went to a trunked system a while back and I am just now wanting to include it in my daily listening.

RickS31

Also, neither NEEDS battery backup for memory retention. Both use EEPROM Flash memory that stays as is without power. It has to be physically written to to change anything.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

If you look at my previous post I did find some differences in features, at least the way they are listed on the RR site, and wanted to know, noting those differences, which is the better radio out of the box.

I am new to the digital world of scanning, I have and still use an old Pro-2022 My local county can still be heard on that scanner but the nearby city went to a trunked system a while back and I am just now wanting to include it in my daily listening.

Not sure what you are looking for, as other posters have said, there is virtually no difference between the radios from a technical aspect.

Both radios Channel Scan
Continuous Tone Controlled Selective Squelch (CTCSS)
Controls - Power, volume, squelch
Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) decoding
Display Illumination Color
Follows Analog Motorola I, II, I/II trunked radio systems
Follows APCO 25 digital trunking systems
Follows GE/Ericsson (EDACS) trunked radio systems
VHF low 25.00000-54.00000MHz
VHF aircraft 108.00000-136.99166MHz
VHF high 137.00000-174.00000MHz
VHF high 216.00250-299.93750MHz
UHF low/t 300.00000-512.00000MHz
UHF high 764.00000-960.00000MHz
UHF high 1240.00000-1300.0000MHz
Includes NOAA Weather Channels
Includes SAME Alerts
Marine Band
Scanner Type Triple trunking
Skywarn
Weather Alert
Store up to 1,800 frequencies
21 V-scanner memory over 39,000 objects
LED and alert sounds
Searches for nearby frequency transmissions

RadioDaze

Radio Shack calls their Signal Stalker II (which does run in the background on both the 106 and 197) and GRE calls theirs Spectrum Sweeper, which does run in the background.

(Per the instruction manuals)

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. Like I said I want to buy one of these radios and did notice a couple minor differences between the two in my OP in the spec sheets found right here on RR. I just wanted to make sure they were in fact minor. Scanning has changed drastically since the last time I bought a radio.

N1BHH

I was replying to the Original Poster, who has not posted an acknowledgment or decided as yet on the purchase of a radio.In response to your posting, some radio models vary on which range of frequencies they have. There are a multitude of reasons including design flaws from model to model, re-design in production run, actual uses in various markets, etc.

Last edited:

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Well I bought the Pro-197 and after a bit of frustration learning WIN500 I've got it up and running.

Still a lot I don't know but the reception is amazing and I'm using the stock antenna. I have it running next to my old Pro-2022 and the 197 is picking up stations a lot farther away, pretty dam clear too Scanning has certainly come a long way.

Now if that damn OpenSky system would fail big time maybe I could once again listen to the PSP too.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.