Are there any cheap SSB receivers that go below 500 KHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polsimp

Are there any cheap SSB receivers that go below 500 KHz? I have a PRO-2006 and would like a radio I can tune to 455 KHz and feed the intermediate frequency from the 2006 into the antenna of the SSB radio. Since that is all I plan on using it for I don't need a very sensitive radio. I am open to other suggestions if anyone knows other ways of getting the 2006 to do sideband.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
If your are open to using an SDR you have an abundance of options including products from airspy and sdrplay in the mid range, and cheaper dongles on the low end

majoco

Stirrer
Tecsun PL-600 and the rest of the Tecsun range - most modern portables tune the European longwave band and some have SSB - take your pick.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Are there any cheap SSB receivers that go below 500 KHz? I have a PRO-2006 and would like a radio I can tune to 455 KHz and feed the intermediate frequency from the 2006 into the antenna of the SSB radio. Since that is all I plan on using it for I don't need a very sensitive radio. I am open to other suggestions if anyone knows other ways of getting the 2006 to do sideband.

Been there, done that, not worth doing as a cheap SDR dongle and free software is much better.

Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Are there any cheap SSB receivers that go below 500 KHz? I have a PRO-2006 and would like a radio I can tune to 455 KHz and feed the intermediate frequency from the 2006 into the antenna of the SSB radio.
You can find many shortwave radios that do that on eBay for small change. The Realistic DX-440, has a variable BFO ("BFO Pitch"), an external antenna jack (RCA) and would be a good option if you find one. They're almost always listed on eBay.

polsimp

Thank you all for the input. I recently moved to an area where there is a great deal of maritime radio activity but haven't been able to listen to sideband on VHF. I figured feeding the IF of the 2006 into a cheap radio would probably be the cheapest route. I have never tried it but have been told it is important to be able to tune up and down from 455 KHz a little bit to clarify reception, so having small tuning steps and/or a clarifier knob will be very desirable. I will most likely buy a stand alone radio. I was thinking about one of those SI4732 based kit radios, but I don't know if it would meet the requirements stated above.

majoco

Stirrer
Marine activity on the VHF band is narrow FM - not SSB - you should be able to set your Pro-2006 to NFM - a Uniden UBCT126 gets plenty of NFM for me but I don't get any marine band from my home. You didn't give your location - marine NFM often doesn't propagate very far as the antennas tend not to be very high. Google for a chart for your local area VHF stations and frequencies and put into memory - lots of fun then!

polsimp wrote:
I would like a radio I can tune to 455 KHz and feed the intermediate frequency from the 2006 into the antenna of the SSB radio.
...so from my post above - you won't need another radio at all!

HP 3586 will be a bit over the top of the $200 limit, although I bought my "A" version for NZ$100, say US$68, in non-working condition but now it works very well after some TLC. Not exactly a toy for the newbies though. I'm hoping to hear Grimethorpe SAQ next month on 17.2kHz - yes, 17.2kHz! Google for it......

Last edited:

polsimp

I'm not sure if it's legal, but there is VHF SSB activity where I live. Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FT-857D and a few other radios will do SSB on VHF and are modifiable for out of band.

CrabbyMilton

In regard to Marine, HAM or CB SSB, can I pick that up on a scanner(436HP) or do I need a special receiver for that? I never tried that before in the 40 plus years of scanning.

merlin

A cheap SDR with an up converter, otherwise, I doubt you will find something like a WJ you can afford.
Icom R-71A goes about $400. Radio shack DX-394 can be had about $300.
Depends on your perspective of cheap.
So you know, nearly all HF marine has gone digital. Upper sideband audio into decoders.
That SSB ship/shore phone is history
VHF marine is NFM or FSK.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
A cheap SDR with an up converter, otherwise, I doubt you will find something like a WJ you can afford.
Icom R-71A goes about $400. Radio shack DX-394 can be had about $300.
Depends on your perspective of cheap.
So you know, nearly all HF marine has gone digital. Upper sideband audio into decoders.
That SSB ship/shore phone is history
VHF marine is NFM or FSK.

A `$200 AirSpy HF+ Discovery does an amazing job on HF - I cannot say that my ICOM R9500 does better.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't need an upconverter with any SDR that does direct sampling. The RTL-SDRs will RX down into the audio frequency band without any additional hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.