Are There Any VHF Low Band Posters in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrColad

I know Florida is barren of low band communications thanks to exclusive trunking but is there anyone here who lives in Florida that monitors local low band or DX frequencies? I hear plenty of 11 meter CB channels especially channel 6 (27.025 MHz) and 19 (27.185 MHz) local and DX.

wcu02mpa

I am in Pinellas County. I am always on the hunt for 30-50 MHz stuff. So far only DOT traffic. I have caught some 10M FM recently, but just barely. Where are you located?

MrColad

Hi and thanks for answering. Right now I'm visiting relatives in Miami-Dade County. I live in Orange County. As time permits I visit various counties in Florida to monitor 25 MHz to 60 MHz frequencies and the most hits I get are either 11 meter CB, 10 meter amateur radio and a few 6 meter amateur radio hits. Nothing in between. The FCC and RadioReference databases say I should be catching something but nada. No local, no DX, nothing. I am using a Uniden BR330T and a Uniden BC92XLT sharing a telescoping whip with a center loaded coil and a generic RTL-SDR stick off an HP laptop with a Larsen low band whip cut to 35 MHz. When I'm in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi I catch local stuff, no DX yet so the radios work. What is your set-up?

wcu02mpa

I have a Kenwood TK-690-1 29-36 dedicated for Ten meter and various other stuff when it rolls in; 33 MHz fire from New England, van car pool in 29-31 MHz range and some other. I also have a Kenwood TK-790H/690H-3 dual band set-up that I modified for six meters. It does from about 42-54 MHz nicely and the VHF does the full range 144-174 MHz.. I like it because I can mix VHF and low band in the same channel bank. I just bought another vehicle so I am going to be switching it soon. I use a laird 30 MHz for the low radio and then Larsen 50 MHz and a VHF for the dual band unit. I travel to Orlando sometimes. What six meter repeaters are active? I will PM you

MrColad

Well I'm heading up to Seminole/Putnam/Duval Counties for a couple of weeks. You have some serious hardware. I better upgrade and maybe concentrate on some mobile and base receivers for 30 MHz to 50 MHz with some decent antennas and coax. Maybe get an AirSpy since it's now plug and play. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.