Are There Currently Any Ham Radios Capable Of More Than One Digital Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, I am wondering if there are any amateur VHF or UHF radios capable of more than one digital mode? For example, P25 and MOTO TRBO or D-Star and NXDN. I think it would be sweet to be able to scan across analog, P25, D-Star, MOTO TRBO, and NXDN frequencies?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It would be cool, but very expensive, as all of the proprietary digital modes would have to be licensed.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This may be an early Christmas present for me. Under $300? WOW.

Anyone have experience with this manufacturer?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Not yet, but soon. See the Connect Systems CS-7000.

Untitled Document

How can they license all these formats :

DMR, NXDN, dPMR, P25, ANALOG, D-STAR, AND FUSION

..and offer a radio for under $500?

293fwk4.jpg

Sign me up!

KA1NTG

Premium Subscriber

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Very true. Jerry has been around a long time in the Amateur community. The radios coming out as of now will do D-Star, DMR and analog only out of the box. He has plans to open source the FW/SW and not only add other modes but allow others to play in his sandbox and alter the radio to do more stuff too.

I think that's a great idea.

I also heard recently about a Kenwood radio that will do Analog, Nexedge and P25 out of the box. Called a 5000 I believe which is coming out real soon

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I also heard recently about a Kenwood radio that will do Analog, Nexedge and P25 out of the box. Called a 5000 I believe which is coming out real soon

And supposedly this radio is going to be in the $1000-2000 range.

This CS radio promises more modes and is almost 10X cheaper. I'm going to wait on buying the Kenwood.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
And supposedly this radio is going to be in the $1000-2000 range.

This CS radio promises more modes and is almost 10X cheaper. I'm going to wait on buying the Kenwood.

I agree not that I would ever buy a Kenwood except 900 and that only due to ease of use on amateur radio. Not that its easy to use either.

He asked what radios and those are the two I have heard of. I'm sticking with my 700s, 701s, and when it comes out the 7000 plus Motorola and a few odds and ends :)

Kasmus

Very true. Jerry has been around a long time in the Amateur community. The radios coming out as of now will do D-Star, DMR and analog only out of the box.

No they won't:

connectsystems.com said:
CS7000

MULTI PROTOCOL SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO

This radio is defined for the Amateur Market and will have an introductory price of $249. Capable of doing DMR, NXDN, dPMR, P25, ANALOG, D-STAR, AND FUSION Protocols. This radio is built to commercial strandards and will cover commercial Frequencies. The first version will ship with Analog and D-STAR protocols with future firmware updates allowing other protocols

Expected Delivery is November 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.