Are there large real-time weather maps a home owner could buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaellar

I was watching the weather channel today and thought about how cool it would be to have a real-time map on the wall showing all the doppler radar around the country. I realized something like that would be mongo-expensive, but does anyone know how to locate a company that offers them? How do the weather channel and the local stations do it?

mancow

Database Admin
What map?

It's all virtual...as in green or blue screens that meld the image of the person and the map.

I guess you could go to BestBuy, grab a digital projector, hook it to the PC and display whatever map you wanted.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Automatic Picture Transmission from NOAA weather satellites?
You can get a receiver for around $200 and hook it up to a PC. Or just get a good antenna with a scanner and record the noise on 137.500

A neat tool I've found is radar as well as other tools for GoogleEarth. Just google "Google earth radar" and you'll get quite a few sites for it and some with live feeds. That's if you already have GE or wouldn't mind downloading it. Then I'd just do what others suggested and get a nice projector.

This would be a cool idea to pursue.

firetaz834

If you had the bucks there are video cards that will allow multiple monitor capability and then have all monitors act as one. Then, this allows for setting up a matris simular to what they do as major events with multiple monitors acting as one large monitor. Your might look on this site www.matrox.com to see what they offer

Status
Not open for further replies.