• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are these antennas too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Did an install recently with a UHF XPR4550, UHF XTL5000, & 900 XTL5000. All on ham freq's. Laird/Antennex transit low profile antennas. Motorola white teflon coax with NMO mounts. Radios usually transmitting low power. [15-20 watts] Some people are of the opinion that I will soon smoke the receivers on these radios. I am not worried about desensing the receiver on one UHF radio while txing on the other. Any opinions on this?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208498618731984&set=gm.1215074591907349&type=3

djpaulino

Premium Subscriber
Did an install recently with a UHF XPR4550, UHF XTL5000, & 900 XTL5000. All on ham freq's. Laird/Antennex transit low profile antennas. Motorola white teflon coax with NMO mounts. Radios usually transmitting low power. [15-20 watts] Some people are of the opinion that I will soon smoke the receivers on these radios. I am not worried about desensing the receiver on one UHF radio while txing on the other. Any opinions on this?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208498618731984&set=gm.1215074591907349&type=3

can you post the the photo for those of us that don't do Facebook?

NC1

I followed the link, and it says:

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

So, your privacy settings on FB are set to where nobody can see it.

N4KVE

Sorry, while I have the photo on my I-Phone, I am computer challenged & have no idea how to post the photo here. 3 Laird transit antennas 6" space between each of them on the trunk lid. 2 UHF, & 1 900MHz. I would gladly send the photo to anybody who could post it here.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've always gone with "at least 1/4 wave" spacing, and that's usually worked well for 50 watt or less radios. Increasing the power will require more spacing.

Obviously that's hard to do on lowband, CB, etc. but CB is usually running only a few watts and the coupling between a really long antenna and a short one reduces it.

Also, the front ends on the Motorola's are going to be a bit more stout that some of the consumer/amateur grade radio equipment. Where I've usually seen issues is with amateur gear or low end commercial radios.

cmdrwill

Sorry, while I have the photo on my I-Phone, I am computer challenged & have no idea how to post the photo here. 3 Laird transit antennas 6" space between each of them on the trunk lid. 2 UHF, & 1 900MHz. I would gladly send the photo to anybody who could post it here.

Garry, WAY too close, I would not want you to have a burned up frontend receiver stage.

12dbsinad

I would keep the TX power as low as possible. 5-10 watts if possible. Motorola's are pretty robust compared to cheap equipment, however being this close it pumps a lot of RF into the other radios. I would proceed with caution. Try to keep the UHF and UHF radios the furthest apart if at all possible.

prcguy

Are the antennas arranged where the 900 is in the middle with the two UHFs on either side? That would place the UHF ants 12" apart (1/2 wavelength) and the 900 antenna would be invisible as far as VSWR affects go. The 900 antenna would be 1/2 wavelength away from its nearest neighbor.

I see no interaction problems between the UHF radios and the 900 radio due to front end filtering, low pass filters on transmitters, etc. The coupling between the two UHF radios is a little concerning but at the power levels you have I would not expect any problems. I've done some pretty scary experiments in the past with 100w radios and antennas nearly touching and have never damaged a radio in the process.
prcguy

N4KVE

Are the antennas arranged where the 900 is in the middle with the two UHFs on either side? That would place the UHF ants 12" apart (1/2 wavelength) and the 900 antenna would be invisible as far as VSWR affects go. The 900 antenna would be 1/2 wavelength away from its nearest neighbor.
I just rearranged the antennas so that's how it is now. This would be the safest way. I only transmitted a few times with the 2 UHF antennas next to each other. Thanks for the tip.

romanr

Gary's Picture

Gary, I hope you don't mind - I've attached your picture for you.
Best Regards,
RR

Attachments

• Gary_T.jpg
    Gary_T.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 525

jim202

You would have been better off with the UHF antennas on each side of the trunk with the 900 in the center. Now that you have the holes there, you will have to live with it.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That is the "old picture." The center UHF and the 900 MHz antennas have been swapped around in the new arrangement. :)

I also agree with the suggestion to use braided wire at each hinge to better bond the trunk deck with the rest of the car. Doing so will insure the entire vehicle acts as a ground plane.

Golay

Agree

You would have been better off with the UHF antennas on each side of the trunk with the 900 in the center. Now that you have the holes there, you will have to live with it.

Even with the holes there, I would still do like Jim says and space the antennas out across the trunk, like this.
And get a couple of the plastic plugs for the holes that you can buy at any hamfest.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 397

iamhere300

Chuckle. I have seen this picture lately! What a comment string it got going.

prcguy

Adding braid to ground a trunk lid will very slightly help a CB/HF antenna achieve more ground plane but not for VHF and above. The VHF/UHF antennas will never know the braid or the rest of the vehicle exists and the only useable ground plane will be the trunk lid.
prcguy

That is the "old picture." The center UHF and the 900 MHz antennas have been swapped around in the new arrangement. :)

I also agree with the suggestion to use braided wire at each hinge to better bond the trunk deck with the rest of the car. Doing so will insure the entire vehicle acts as a ground plane.

12dbsinad

Adding braid to ground a trunk lid will very slightly help a CB/HF antenna achieve more ground plane but not for VHF and above. The VHF/UHF antennas will never know the braid or the rest of the vehicle exists and the only useable ground plane will be the trunk lid.
prcguy

Reminds me of the braid ground straps on the Crown Vic trunk lids that use to last 6 months before they broke off!

N4KVE

Took a VOM to my car & put 1 lead to the trunk lid, & the other to the car body. No resistance at all, so they are somehow connected. The 1 radio that was there before I added the others is doing very well with the low profile antenna. 60 miles at the 25 watt setting.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Took a VOM to my car & put 1 lead to the trunk lid, & the other to the car body. No resistance at all, so they are somehow connected. The 1 radio that was there before I added the others is doing very well with the low profile antenna. 60 miles at the 25 watt setting.

Keep in mind that DC ground and RF grounds can be different things. Also, while driving, vibrations may cause the mechanical ground connections of the trunk lid hinges to change.
Braid at the two forward corners can be a good idea if you suspect an issue. If it's working fine as is, then don't worry about it. The trunk lid is a big enough ground plane at UHF and 900MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.