• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Are They On The Same Side ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

I have just started to listening to my local Police dept. I have noticed that there seems to be some hostilities between PD and dispatchers. I can understand the stress of being a officer but it seemed like they were blaming the Dispatcher for all the hassle ? I was wondering if anyone elese hears this or is it just my local group.

nexus

This is a common occurance everywhere in the nation. It's certainly not unique to the department you listen to. I know for a fact that the dispatchers here where I work talk bad about officers all of the time, and sometimes you can tell the tension over the air. Stepping on toes and so forth.

I have a friend who is a dispatcher for a county 911 center in NC, actually she's a supervisor (Sgt.) and tells me often about the damn drama they get into with the deputies.

SCPD

Suprisingly, it doesent happen that often here in Phoenix. Sometimes you will hear the officers or dispatchers get pretty pissy at one another..pretty funny to listen to

Go-24

Every once in a while you hear "attitude" in the voices of officers and dispatchers here too; its normally pretty entertaining for me.

KC1UA

Scan New England Guru
Database Admin
It's an incredibly tough and stressful job on both sides of the mic. Tempers flare. It's important to remember that for the most part both sides do an excellent job, usually under far less than excellent conditions. I hope this doesn't turn into another dispatcher bashing thread. I supervise six of the finest dispatchers there could be, and work with many fine police officers. Both jobs deal with overall negativity all day long; it's important to emphasize the positive for both as much as possible.

STiMULi

Tucson police is the most professional group I have ever heard.

D.C. Metro is (was - but I doubt it has changed) the worst ever. The hate between the dispatchers and the cops on the street was so thick you couldn't cut it with a chainsaw.

red8

my wife is a police dispatcher for 21 years the hostility comes from the dispatchers attitude toward their own job by that i mean whether
or not they enjoy their own job and does not see it as just a job.
that attitude conveys itself to the officer when dispatching comes
the officer picks up on that and that is from a dispatcher's point of
view. if you should have any questions please ask her
red8
10-8

SLWilson

Tension...

I was a dispatcher at a local PD for over 19 years before becoming an administratior over a small county 911 Center.

Generally the "stress" you hear between dispatch and road patrol is between "a very few" road officers and "some" dispatchers. What happens is you have a few (on both ends) bad apples that can tend to spoil the bunch.

From the dispatch standpoint, you give out the call, giving ALL of the available info you were able to get from a "scared" or "irate" caller who may have hung up on you....You give that out to the officers and they play twenty questions.

Or, you've sent the officers to the same address 4 or 5 times in the same shift and they don't arrest anyone. You have shift (it's usually different for dispatch & patrol) change and the poor next patrol shift ends up "fixing" what the last shift wouldn't....

Then, since they've started off having to deal with whatever the previous guys wouldn't fix, the NEW shift gets in a pissy mood....

From the patrol end, they go out and WANT to arrest someone, but, they radio in to see if there is jail space available. The dispatcher checks with the jail only to find out it's full. THEN, the officers are in a bad mood because either they have to drive a hundred miles to find jail space, or DON'T arrest the person then, KNOWING, they'll have to come back.

It works both ways. They ALL have bad days. Sometimes it just "comes through" to where the public can actually "hear" the tension.

Around here, our issue is, because we are funded appropriately (as a 9-1-1 system) and some law enforcement agencies aren't (or claim they aren't) there is some jealousy involved.

We are a separate entity. We record EVERYTHING we do. We dispatch ALL calls for service, emergency and non-emergency, from our facility. If an officer gets complained on by the public, the tapes are sometimes used to prove the public complaint. (They also can clear an officer, and do)...

It boils down to too much to do. Too few people to get it done. Not enough money for what we all do. And, it NEVER stops.

Steve/Gallia

car2back

It's never the dispatchers fault :D j/k...

I agree with SLWilson, Most all problems are usually caused caused be a few people; It's like that everywhere, not just Public Saftey.

Everyone (Officers AND Dispatchers) are under alot of stress in the Law Enforcement profession, and from time to time, our tempers can get the best of us.: I am guilty as well :) .

The way I look at it is those guys are out there putting their lives on the line everyday, and it's my duty to do the best I can to help make sure they go home at the end of the shift.. but some officers need to realize that us Dispatchers have a tough job too: While I am on the line with a screaming, crying caller trying to sort through a plethora of BS for your shots fired call, Sgt. Fife asks me to repeat your dispatch for the 3rd time 'cause he was "away from the radio" in Quickie Mart getting a slushie and didn't copy it. :lol:

The best solution for is for both dispatchers and officers to base their working relationship on a mutual, occupational respect. I couldn't do their job, and they couldn't do mine.

Last edited:

radio10-8

99% of the time (In my opinion) cops and dispatchers want to do the best job they can for eachother. 1% of the time someone has a bad day and it can be heard by the voice inflection. Those of us that talk on the radio have been guilty of this at least once. Now when your bad to a dispatcher you better make it up with a Starbucks delivery!!!

red8

SL
I can relate about the jail being full, for 23 years I was a deputy
sheriff in Baton Rouge,La. A little bit larger than Gallia county especially when the gung-ho youngsters trying to make a name for themselves would haul someone in on a minor misdemeanor instead
you could hear them say over radio 10-8,10-19, 10-15 instead of writing them summons for the misdemeanor and letting them be on their merry way. (In service, rt to my location with a prisoner) and they do this without checking to see what the situation at jail is, or
sometimes depnding on charge the they will contact the jail for space and then.
if the crime serious enough they (officer in the field) would have to
contact the nighttime supervisor for the SO to get clearence bring
the prisoner in

R

Rayjk110

Listening to Chicago PD citywide on my new Motorola GP68 right now....a few officers were getting pissy with dispatchers. It's extremely common on ChicagoPD zone channels and the citywides. Seems like someone's always mad.

KE4ASQ

It Happens Every Now And Again Here In My Area

In my area, being the Jacksonville, Fla region, We will get some "static" between LEOs and Dispatchers occasionally, That happened last month, when a Zone LEO saw drunk bicyclist fall off his bike and knock hisself out, Officer called for Fire/Rescue and told HQ that he was over on the west bridge and she (dispatcher) send the FD and EMS to the east bridge on the other side of town and the LEO called over the radio and said "I AM ON THE WEST BRIDGE" and the Fire / EMS guys turned around an headed back towards the west bridge on the west end of town.

Seems like the dispatchers and officers are always very cordial with eachother around here, joking with eachother even sometimes, releaves the stress I guess. But ones on New Brunswick PD, I did hear a dispatcher and officer get into it. "Control" (Lt. on duty) had to interject and break it up.

Jim41

Are They On The Same Side?

I have heard very little tension between dispatchers and units.

I think there are several factors that lead to good relations and performance:

1. A good hiring process that selects personnel with propoer skills and temperment; for instance the ability to remain calm under stressful situations.
2. Well defined standards of performance that are clearly communicated to new employees during their training.
3. Supervisors that promptly correct poor performance.
4. An adequately staffed organization that does not overwork its employees. When one is tired and fatigued it is easier to become frustrated and to vent that frustration.

mandlair

In my area kent comm really gets irate when the officers dont say there ok ,whats there location,and when the keep asking for the same infomation over and over.And the dispatchers,well lets just say they dont hide there emotions.but mostly its with local depts not the state police. mike

mustang108

Premium Subscriber
I dispatched for 20 yrs and patrolman for 10 yrs and yes tempers flair at times, in a town of 10,000 people its not as bad i think as in congested citys, i can remember keeping log of all the shift activity on typewriter and only have one sheet paper at end of shift, Now dispatchers have the computer aided dispatch system and if its a centeral dispatch center and you are dispatching for multipal agencys and units it can be a nightmare for the dispatchers, patrol officers and deputys need to be required to set in a 8 hr shift in a dispatch center and see what goes on, i know some places they do have to come in and help the dispatchers. I agree, training is part of the key to a well run department.

red8

steve,
i can recall when i was hired by sheriff's office in baton rouge, i did a tour of duty in the communications division at the court house and
the one thing that helped me was being able to ride in my off time
with another deputy assigned to uniform patrol. when i would come
to work on my regular watch it helped me out in understanding what
goes on out on the street and i earned a lot of respect from riding
with another deputy and when i took a complaint from a citizen
it assisted me in asking and trying ti get the proper info to the officers
on the street.
red8

Status
Not open for further replies.