Are time slots consistant with talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
For example, I have seen DMR talkgroup 3174, Southeast Regional, listed as using time slot 1. On other lists this same talkgroup is listed as using time slot 2. Same thing with "TAC 310" and "TAC 311"; I have seen both listed as time slot 1 or time slot 2, depending on the repeater. Is this accurate or a listing error?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
"In the beginning", TS 1 was generally for linking, and TS 2 was local, local networks, or Tacs.
In my travels I'm seeing every possible combination you can think of. So no.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
"In the beginning", TS 1 was generally for linking, and TS 2 was local, local networks, or Tacs.
In my travels I'm seeing every possible combination you can think of. So no.

That means I can't just assume that TG 3174 is time slot 1 on every repeater; it may be time slot 2 on some repeaters? So any general listing of what time slot goes what talkgroup is meaningless, it depends on the individual repeater?

HamRFinCT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That means I can't just assume that TG 3174 is time slot 1 on every repeater; it may be time slot 2 on some repeaters? So any general listing of what time slot goes what talkgroup is meaningless, it depends on the individual repeater?
Yes, to both questions.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A talkgroup may not even be assigned a particular timeslot on a repeater. Some repeaters can be programmed so that talkgroup traffic can go to whichever timeslot is available, which makes sense if the repeater can carry more than 2 talkgroups. The first user to key up gets slot 1, the second gets slot 2, regardless of the talkgroup they are using.

MSS-Dave

A talkgroup may not even be assigned a particular timeslot on a repeater. Some repeaters can be programmed so that talkgroup traffic can go to whichever timeslot is available, which makes sense if the repeater can carry more than 2 talkgroups. The first user to key up gets slot 1, the second gets slot 2, regardless of the talkgroup they are using.
Well....no. It does not work that way. The subscriber radio controls what time slot it transmits on EXCEPT in trunking. The subscriber radio holds all the TX contact list information that the radio uses to access the repeater along with RX group if used. For conventional applications, the repeater repeats whichever timeslot comes with any valid radio ID and the correct color code. In linked application like DMR -MARC, the bridge controls whether your ID is valid, and your talkgroup your radio is programmed to gets linked onto the network. That's how some repeaters have TG1 for WorldWide and others TG2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was talking more generally, to include trunked systems.

But generally or specifically, sort traffic by talkgroup, not timeslot.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Totally depends on the type of Mototrbo system you are planning to monitor. IP connect systems have the timeslot dedicated, just as one freq single site mototrbo repeaters. Then you get into connect plus and capacity plus, etc., and timeslots are dynamically assigned.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Totally depends on the type of Mototrbo system you are planning to monitor.

Once again for those of you with reading comprehension issues, we are in the Amateur Radio forum and the OP is asking about an amateur radio network.
Please take a minute to actually read the thread and understand the question the OP is asking before responding.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.