Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Are Unidens a 'System On a Chip'?. My BC125AT has always seem to pickup a lot of interference causing me to lock out several channels and just made it more difficult to pickup nearby counties, but I recently picked up a Pro-89 and it is a very sensitive receiver for the most part, and I could instantly pickup fire and EMS from other surrounding counties, even just with the stock antenna! To note, it is a triple conversion scanner so It obviously pickups less interference, but it made me wonder if Uniden scanners are (atleast the handhelds) a SOC due to how often interference breaks the squelch first.

Bob1955

Are Unidens a 'System On a Chip'?. My BC125AT has always seem to pickup a lot of interference causing me to lock out several channels and just made it more difficult to pickup nearby counties, but I recently picked up a Pro-89 and it is a very sensitive receiver for the most part, and I could instantly pickup fire and EMS from other surrounding counties, even just with the stock antenna! To note, it is a triple conversion scanner so It obviously pickups less interference, but it made me wonder if Uniden scanners are (atleast the handhelds) a SOC due to how often interference breaks the squelch first.
Pr999- I believe the BC125AT is triple conversion too but set or search for the CTCSS/DCS coding.
Hope this helps you out.

bob (KB2GQK)

a417

As the (widely discussed) definition of a 'SoC' has it including 'most or all components of a computer' on a single chip, the answer is...'maybe'. Depending who you ask, depending whose definition you are using.

I'm a little confused, are you conflating 'SOC' with an 'SDR', as your comment refers to the 125AT being a triple-conversion reciever- which is most definitely not a software defined radio, but does have a microcontroller?

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
By SoC, I mean a radio on a chip like baofengs. And SoCs usually have stuff like bad squelch and not all good reception. And I was wondering if Unidens are the same since I seem to have similar issues. So when I testing the new, old RS Pro-89, which is a triple conversion scanner, I wasn't getting the same amount of interference as I was on the Uniden. So I put two and two together and that's how we got here.

Scan125

The UBC125XLT is not an SoC radio. I have the circuit diagram and the scanner is all discrete modules. Phase Locked Loop, AM/FM, RF Mixer 100MHz Inpt Mxr 450kHz FM/AM Dmdultr, etc.

1684491308111.png