Are Whistler Scanners in production now. TRX 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Hello,

Thinkin of adding a TRX 2 to my inventory of scanners, but it seems like there very scarce, ( got my sds 200 before they ran out at several places) but wanting a TRX 2, and there getting hard to find , and not spend 650 to 700 for them, is Whistler's factory in non production do to Covid, just wondering

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Scanners everywhere are in high demand due to people staying home and all the issues going on across the country, but it is getting better.

I've had very good luck with Whistler scratch and dent, they have a TRX2 for $450 and refurbished model for $500, both with 90 day warranty.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No bigger than what is Uniden doing? It is already known that the cost of developing a new scanner is not in Whistler's plans. At the same time, I see many questions of the lack of firmware updates from Uniden. Encryption is a big question for all scanners and listeners, and this is not the best of time for many manufacturers.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
No bigger than what is Uniden doing? It is already known that the cost of developing a new scanner is not in Whistler's plans. At the same time, I see many questions of the lack of firmware updates from Uniden. Encryption is a big question for all scanners and listeners, and this is not the best of time for many manufacturers.

Not to go off topic, but this is my concern, over a year since sds100 firmware update. Nothing since Paul passed. the radio still works great, but i'm sure there are still some bugs they could be working on and enhancements. :-/

Ubbe

the radio still works great, but i'm sure there are still some bugs they could be working on and enhancements. :-/
You can probably rule out any enhacements. Those will not affect scanner sales one bit. Actually it will be less attractive to buy a new scanner if the old ones have too much support and constantly gets new options and features. Companies often give full support for their products with updates and enhacements for a couple of years and then they release a new hardware design and stops doing any software work to their older models to force people buy their new products, that's common business practise to keep a company alive.

The companies that manufactures light bulbs used to make them last for 10 years but then there was some kind of agreement among them that light bulbs should only last for two years to boost sales. So it is not always in a manufactures interest to make a too good product that has a too long life cycle. Modern cars are also an example of that.

/Ubbe

DJ11DLN

You can probably rule out any enhacements. Those will not affect scanner sales one bit. Actually it will be less attractive to buy a new scanner if the old ones have too much support and constantly gets new options and features. Companies often give full support for their products with updates and enhacements for a couple of years and then they release a new hardware design and stops doing any software work to their older models to force people buy their new products, that's common business practise to keep a company alive.

The companies that manufactures light bulbs used to make them last for 10 years but then there was some kind of agreement among them that light bulbs should only last for two years to boost sales. So it is not always in a manufactures interest to make a too good product that has a too long life cycle. Modern cars are also an example of that.

/Ubbe
I tend to agree with your reasoning, but only up to a point. Of course they want to sell new models, but to build/keep customer loyalty, ongoing product support is essential. And I'm as distressed as everyone else about the current state of scanner "stagnation," but I have to hold out some hopes, especially with the sales upticks resulting from the, uh, situations this year. And if both companies would happen to abandon the market while it's still viable, there would at least be a chance of another manufacturer of electronics stepping in to take advantage of that market.

I'll disagree with your example though: When I first started driving 40+ years ago, if you got 100,000 miles out of a car, unless they were mostly highway miles traveled in areas where road salt wasn't used, it was pretty well shot at that point. Today's cars are just broken in when they roll 6 digits. And I can never remember having a light bulb that was in daily use last longer than a year or 18 months.

CycleSycho

$449 on Amazon. 1 left in stock.

:) Just a reminder, where Amazon.com is concerned, they are a venue in this instance. The seller is ( K&MHomeAppliances ), the link is ( https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-TRX...dchild=1&keywords=TRX-2&qid=1597164511&sr=8-3 ). One additional note, sellers sometimes sell refurbished or 2nd's. Amazon has different rules for items 'sold by Amazon' that may be different for 'sellers' using the Amazon venu. If you have to know an item is new in a factory sealed box, use the contact seller link associated with the item your interested in. You can also ask that/those question(s) with items 'sold by Amazon' as well. Just an FYI for the membership! :)

JustLou

:) Just a reminder, where Amazon.com is concerned, they are a venue in this instance. The seller is ( K&MHomeAppliances ), the link is ( Amazon.com: Whistler TRX-2 Desktop Digital Scanner ). One additional note, sellers sometimes sell refurbished or 2nd's. Amazon has different rules for items 'sold by Amazon' that may be different for 'sellers' using the Amazon venu. If you have to know an item is new in a factory sealed box, use the contact seller link associated with the item your interested in. You can also ask that/those question(s) with items 'sold by Amazon' as well. Just an FYI for the membership! :)

The radio is out of stock now, so someone bought it. ....The radio was "Shipped and Fulfilled by Amazon" so no much need to worry about the 3rd part seller or not getting what you expected.

djs9164

Hello,

Thinkin of adding a TRX 2 to my inventory of scanners, but it seems like there very scarce, ( got my sds 200 before they ran out at several places) but wanting a TRX 2, and there getting hard to find , and not spend 650 to 700 for them, is Whistler's factory in non production do to Covid, just wondering
[/QUO
There is one for sale in the RR classifieds. 425.00

CycleSycho

The radio is out of stock now, so someone bought it. ....The radio was "Shipped and Fulfilled by Amazon" so no much need to worry about the 3rd part seller or not getting what you expected.

:) Funny, but the link now goes ( https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-TRX-2-Desktop-Digital-Scanner/dp/B01H3XYJS0/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=TRX-2&qid=1597164511&sr=8-3) to a different seller ( JBTools ) with the $499 price (if you apply/get approval for the 'card' you can hack $50 bucks off the price) AND IT IS IN STOCK. Amazon has weird ways to sell, just be aware who you are dealing with and how it applies to your transaction. :)

beischel

You would think with all the talk about police reform, Congress would pass some legislation to force public service agencies to NOT encrypt so civilian oversight can take place. Now its fine to encrypt certain situation like surveillance and SWAT, etc. but normal police/firm etc. should not be encrypted. Time to write your congress person.

CycleSycho

You would think with all the talk about police reform, Congress would pass some legislation to force public service agencies to NOT encrypt so civilian oversight can take place. Now its fine to encrypt certain situation like surveillance and SWAT, etc. but normal police/firm etc. should not be encrypted. Time to write your congress person.

:) Too little too late? The conversion will never be stopped. No one can tell the government to stop the rolling movement to encryption since it is too far gone in 5, 10, and 15 year future plans. Not to mention the investment in the major hardware suppliers who are contracted with agencies and consumers (including the local and regional consumers spending GOBS of taxpayers dollars) on behalf of their local governing bodies (convinced) to align with federal/state/municipal locals wanting to comply whether or not 'compliance is required' for this or that federal/state/local funding allocations. DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE one way or another? :)

beischel

:) Too little too late? The conversion will never be stopped. No one can tell the government to stop the rolling movement to encryption since it is too far gone in 5, 10, and 15 year future plans. Not to mention the investment in the major hardware suppliers who are contracted with agencies and consumers (including the local and regional consumers spending GOBS of taxpayers dollars) on behalf of their local governing bodies (convinced) to align with federal/state/municipal locals wanting to comply whether or not 'compliance is required' for this or that federal/state/local funding allocations. DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE one way or another? :)

It certainly has not gone too far. Anything can be stopped and turned around. Encryption should be used in some limited circumstances, but not in every case. Congress can make a law outlining what can be encrypted and what cannot. Civilian oversight is important and must be preserved. Write you representative and senators demanding changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.