Area 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailly2

forums.radioreference.com/nevada-radio-discussion-forum/272607-area-51-a.html

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Area 51 is in the middle of the Nevada Test & Training Range aka NTTR. I hear a lot of aircraft from the range, mostly fighters and copters from Nellis, but there are callsigns and air masks I cant identify.

South of Area 51 along US-95 is Creech AFB, this is the new Area 51. Here they test unmanned aerial systems (UAS) and other classified aircraft.

Head out towards Tonopah (R-4809) and youll see F-117s plus tons of other aircraft old and future being used for flight tests.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Has anyone ever heard anything from the testing site?

Yes.

Some of the NAVAIDS can be heard. I've logged the NDB located right on the Groom Lake runway.

The frequencies listed at the previously mentioned Dreamland Resort page can be interesting.

Also, Los Angeles Center covers the Nellis Complex, including Area 51. While Nellis is the controlling agency inside the restricted airspace, LA Center handles the surrounding airspace. There are some VERY interesting things that show up on the ultra high altitude "discrete" frequencies. When a test article leaves the restricted airspace at 60,000+ feet, it's LA Center they'll be talking to.

astraone

Area 51 is in the middle of the Nevada Test & Training Range aka NTTR. I hear a lot of aircraft from the range, mostly fighters and copters from Nellis, but there are callsigns and air masks I cant identify.

South of Area 51 along US-95 is Creech AFB, this is the new Area 51. Here they test unmanned aerial systems (UAS) and other classified aircraft.

Head out towards Tonopah (R-4809) and youll see F-117s plus tons of other aircraft old and future being used for flight tests.

I didn't know they were testing at this location, has anyone seen ever seen any any Aircraft being tested.

It seems most people visit the area during the day, but the testing is probably mostly carried out at night.

astraone

I did't think they flew the F117 anymore, i would love to visit the area one day as i am a Scanner and Aircraft enthusiast.

astraone

Yes.

Some of the NAVAIDS can be heard. I've logged the NDB located right on the Groom Lake runway.

The frequencies listed at the previously mentioned Dreamland Resort page can be interesting.

Also, Los Angeles Center covers the Nellis Complex, including Area 51. While Nellis is the controlling agency inside the restricted airspace, LA Center handles the surrounding airspace. There are some VERY interesting things that show up on the ultra high altitude "discrete" frequencies. When a test article leaves the restricted airspace at 60,000+ feet, it's LA Center they'll be talking to.

This does sound very interesting, can you hear what they are saying then?,what time of night do they do the testing?

Token

I did't think they flew the F117 anymore, i would love to visit the area one day as i am a Scanner and Aircraft enthusiast.

The aircraft were retired in 2008, however it is known they continued to fly in a limited way after that. As late as early 2016 there were reported sightings in and around Tonopah, although the last photo I have seen was from 2015. It has been speculated that the Air Force keeps a couple in flying conditions, for what is unclear. It might be training, it might be research.

T!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
There are several officially retired aircraft that are still flying. A few are being used as platforms testers, a few as radar target testing, and so on. And then there are the SHTF birds that may be retired, but are kept in (ready reserve) status just in case. And then there is the best of the best, the ones no longer active USAF, but now NASA play toys, or Hollywood fodder.

Also, not that it's too exciting or, really, any different than a standard commercial flight, but you can easily watch and hear the JANET flights going in to and out of KLAS. In fact, Mandalay Bay has rooms that offer amazing views of KLAS, including spectacular views of the JANET terminal.

The JANET 737's are white, with a red stripe, which makes them super easy to spot.

prcguy

In the mid 90s I had to visit the base for several weeks at a time and the personnel boarding the Janet flights can be interesting. Some guys in cammo carrying bags and cases of stuff, some in white tennis outfits carrying rifles, a few women in civilian cloths, a really weird combination.
prcguy

Also, not that it's too exciting or, really, any different than a standard commercial flight, but you can easily watch and hear the JANET flights going in to and out of KLAS. In fact, Mandalay Bay has rooms that offer amazing views of KLAS, including spectacular views of the JANET terminal.

The JANET 737's are white, with a red stripe, which makes them super easy to spot.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It is incredible how big the area is.
Someone say its easier to test secret aircraft on other Base who are not 24/7 under surveillance.

How about optical surveillance with IR Cams?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I didn't know they were testing at this location, has anyone seen ever seen any any Aircraft being tested.

It seems most people visit the area during the day, but the testing is probably mostly carried out at night.

Creech is right along Highway 95. I drove up through there earlier this year and watched the drones flying in and out of the field. It's right along the highway, not hidden at all. Broad daylight.

Last week I drove up the east side of the test range, Nevada Highway 375 "Extraterrestrial Highway" all the way up to US-6. Got "strafed" on the highway out in the middle of nowhere by an all black single engine jet around 11am. Came up on me from the right, passed directly over the top of my truck at about 200 feet and kept going.

The day before I spent the night out east of Panaca Nevada. A lot of military aircraft flying out that way after the sun went down. Just before I climbed into the back of my truck for the night, I heard a couple of sonic booms in the distance.

Many years ago outside Death Valley, in the Rhyolite/Beatty area, Watched a pair of A-10's playing around over the desert. Passed pretty close overhead.
Panamint Valley is also another popular place.

Not sure about the radio side of things, but pretty much all you have to do is -be- out there and you'll see stuff.

kma371

QRT
With all the technology we have today these are the best pictures you can get?I dream of better pictures.:lol:
Was that taken with the 9-11 camera? Don't these people know about HD (high definition)?

There's only two panoramic pics taken in the last 6 years. The rest are way older than that. Go take some pics with your HD camera if these arent good enough jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.