Areas of intermod, overload, interferrence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a lot of TV and commercial radio towers in Northwest D.C.? I think they are near American University, Georgetown and near Tenleytown. I remember reading that ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC have transmitters there. If that's true, then I might want to avoid listening to my scanner for fear that they will overload my old dual converstion scanners. :D

Are there any areas in the Washington D.C. area that seem to have high intermod that I should avoid?

I got some weird RF interferrence at the Fairfax County Government Centre near West Ox road. I hear paging signals when I am near Tyson's Corner Mall and some noise Merrifield Garden Centre. The area around Crystal City and National Airport (DCA) doesn't seem to have a lot of interferrence.

Bye

LarrySC

I've worked in the Fairfax area and out to Dullas. Was a problem years ago and now its worse. If you dont have a scanner with PL/DPL, and ATT you have been left in the dust. You need a Peterbilt not an S-10. I also live in RF Hell. Use stubby rubber ducks cut for the wrong band for older scanners. For the real serious stuff its PRO-96 / BC-796 and 780's. Good Luck, Larry

N

N_Jay

Starion said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a lot of TV and commercial radio towers in Northwest D.C.? I think they are near American University, Georgetown and near Tenleytown. I remember reading that ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC have transmitters there. If that's true, then I might want to avoid listening to my scanner for fear that they will overload my old dual converstion scanners. :D

Are there any areas in the Washington D.C. area that seem to have high intermod that I should avoid?

I got some weird RF interferrence at the Fairfax County Government Centre near West Ox road. I hear paging signals when I am near Tyson's Corner Mall and some noise Merrifield Garden Centre. The area around Crystal City and National Airport (DCA) doesn't seem to have a lot of interferrence.

Bye

Most level of overload will not harm your receiver, just make it deaf while in the overload environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.