ARINC Completes Digital Enhancement for PHI Air Medical Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Interesting.. But is this an P-25 RoIP or an iDEN based digital format being that it is airinc....???

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ahh ok so the same part of it is digital as the IP25 in an system using VoIP25. The digitial RoIP is just over the linkage and software conversions. Radio over Internet Protocol, exactly the same as any other Voice over Internet Protocol just with an different name. Take the analog voice, digitize it and transmit it to the other sites to retransmit analog.

N

N_Jay

1) There is no standard RoIP protocol yet.

2) There are several companies doing RoIP using various modified (and therefor mostly proprietary) VoIP protocols.

3) There is also not a standardized VoIP25 protocol yet.

D

DaveNF2G

Funny they are still calling it ARINC. ASRI has probably installed an ACARS system there.

iamhere300

Air Evac Lifeteam has been doing digital VoIP or VoFrame for over 10 years, when I first designed and installed their system. Arinc is just finally catching up. AEL is covering from NM to WV I believe, all from one central dispatch center in Missouri.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
PHI's AirCare 5 Helo in Virginia is currently linked in by a UHF analog channel. I don't understand how it is linked up to their comm center, but it is definitely UHF analog on this end.

Todd

D

DaveNF2G

It sounds to me like this whole upgrade thing affects linking among consoles and not their radio communications.

iamhere300

Shhhh!!!!

You will kill the "cool" factor in the announcement.:wink:

And that is exactly what it is - they may be doing VoIP from the consoles to the remote sites, a significant cost savings over leased lines, (or some other version, VoFR, etc) but the RF portion at least at this point is remaining analog.

Just like the others. Digital should go down as one of the most mis-used words. Ah, my digital toaster just beeped to tell me my toast is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.