ARINC Interoperability Tests in AAco

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear105

Anybody know anything about this AWINS stuff???

ARINC Tests Advanced Interoperability
from a Mobile Command Center

August 26, 2005

Annapolis, Maryland—ARINC Incorporated this week demonstrated a significant breakthrough in fully interoperable public safety communications. In a mock emergency, staged in cooperation with the Anne Arundel County, MD, Fire Department, the company’s AWINSTM technology was used to establish interoperable radio, video, and data communications, and link multiple participating public safety agencies around the region.

The center of the demonstration was MCCU-1, the county’s new mobile command and communications unit. MCCU-1 boasts multiple communications systems, from a satellite link to conventional LMRs, but what makes it the first of its kind in the nation is the advanced AWINS technology inside. The AWINS system provides interoperability on demand by tying all the individual systems together.

AWINS acts as a universal translator—translating all types of radio signals, phone signals, cellular transmissions, and network data into a common IP format. This allows public safety agencies to connect and inter-communicate immediately when needed, without re-training and without replacing any of their existing equipment.

“AWINS technology will revolutionize the way public safety agencies communicate,” stated Marvin Ingram, ARINC Senior Director, Public and Enterprise Solutions. “The power of AWINS allows police officers, firefighters, EMS personnel, public safety officials, and government agencies to communicate easily and cost-effectively while using their current equipment. AWINS eliminates the need to replace costly systems in order to achieve interoperability.”

Anne Arundel’s MCCU-1 with AWINS is arguably the most advanced mobile command center ever built. It is equipped with 13 operator positions, and can interconnect 18 different radio systems, 13 wired IP phones, 10 wireless IP phones, and is equipped for video teleconferencing. During this week’s demonstration it linked six separate public safety agencies—including county agencies, the Maryland State Police, Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Emergency Management Agency, and Marine Band Radio. Two IP cameras monitored the surrounding area from 40 feet above the vehicle, and live helicopter surveillance video was received and broadcast back by satellite link to the Anne Arundel County Emergency Operations Center.

Anne Arundel is the first U.S. municipality to install AWINS technology in a mobile command center, and MCCU-1 was funded by a grant from the Department of Homeland Security. The ARINC AWINS interoperability system is also being evaluated and installed at various locations from towns in Massachusetts to counties in Washington.

“AWINS can better prepare first responders for what to expect in an emergency situation, be it fire, natural disaster, or terrorist attack,” Ingram continued. “With AWINS they can obtain real-time information, and they can equip and position themselves better, greatly improving their ability to save lives and protect property.”

ARINC Incorporated is the world leader in transportation communications and systems engineering. The company develops and operates communications and information processing systems and provides systems engineering and integration solutions to five key industries: airports, aviation, defense, government, and surface transportation. Founded to provide reliable and efficient radio communications for the airlines, ARINC is headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland, and operates key regional offices in London and Singapore, with over 3,000 employees worldwide. ARINC is ISO 9001:2000 certified.

RyanXTS

jpsmith2 said:
Not yet, but I hope to since I put my name on the list of folks interested in being trained to operate the new command vehicle we have at work. It's basically a smaller version of Anne Arundels.

No official announcement of it yet, but you can look at this.
http://www.thewatchdesk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22060

I haven't gotten to work up templates for that yet. I would LOVE it if Annapolis could tell me detailed information on what they wanted.....

RyanXTS

AWINS converts audio to TCP/IP sortof similar to vonage.. then with a software interface you can patch radios together. Pretty slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.