ARIZONA MEMBERS ONLY - Many Questions about your Radio setup

How do you program your radios? (Multiple choices allowed)

• By hand with a book

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • By hand with RR DB

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • By hand with multiple resources

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Using software and a book

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Using software and RR DB

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Using software and multiple resources

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Pulling the Data from RR DB with a spreadsheet

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Pulling the data from RR DB with compatible software

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

This is to help make adjustments to the DB that will help all.

I am interested in knowing a few items that will help us change some minor issues with the DB.

1. Do you use the DB for programming your radios?
  2. What radios do you use the RR DB for?
  3. How so you program them?
  4. If by software what software?
  5. Do you use Excel (or the equivalent)?
  6. What us missing from the DB that you would like to see?
  7. What is there too much of?
  8. What (globally) needs correcting?

ctrl

I use the free UASD software to program my scanner.

The only problem I have with the database is that you can't just highlight and copy/paste into the software, because of the HEX, and Mode fields in the database. Or in non-trunked systems the Input, License, Type, Tone, and CH fields.

My suggestion (not that it matters) would be to have a check box next to each different section, and a button you could push that would load the data into the clipboard for whatever groups you have checked. (You could then paste straight into notepad, and edit the order and exact frequencys/talkgroups you want)

...or something along those lines.

From the subscription page:
"Access to the RadioReference.com Web service for software scanner programming directly from the database."

This leads me to believe those of us that dont HAVE to pay for software (uniden), have to manually type everything. Does this include the free software from USAD? (and possiblity solves my issue with the database.) There is more and more users of the USAD software, with the new 996 out, ect..

Have a look at the colorado DTRS, Imagine trying to program all of those without being able to copy/paste. Must be a nightmare.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm fairly happy with it how it is. I can't think of anything else right now, other then the copy/paste 'issue'.

-Jim

STiMULi

I just bought the ARC996 (beta :)) and it kicks butt. The unregistered beta will pull from the RR DB. I don't know (haven't looked it up yet) whether or not you have to be a paying member.

You will be able to easily retrieve info directly into the software and create sites and systems.

As far as management of the DB from an infrastructure point of view (checkboxes) I have nothing to do with that however I will point Lindsay to your post. In his One thing thread I kind of eluded to the same thing.

You can use Excel Data import feature to retrieve info from the DB and then just modify the spreadsheet then export it to a .CSV file. I did this for a while and got bored with troubleshooting the file I converted to UASD (.usd) so I would key it in manually. Now that ARC996 is out anything else is just wasting my time.

As far and managing the RR AZ DB goes, I really want my job to become tougher :)

I know there is a ton of good information out there that can be added to the DB. If you guys don't want to submit it at least point me to it.

There was a thread in the CO state section about who approves the submissions. They brought up allot of good points. The biggest one is the DB is only as good as the listeners and those that submit to it. I can not take credit for the DB it is a group effort. I am only the guy that volunteered to grow it and insert data whenever I find it or it is submitted.

Try that ARC996 out and let me know if it works out

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ctrl said:
I use the free UASD software to program my scanner.
So do I (BCD396T).

ctrl said:
...This leads me to believe those of us that dont HAVE to pay for software (uniden), have to manually type everything. Does this include the free software from USAD? ...
I have used the download utility that Paul wrote for the 246T to grab trunked data from the RR database. As soon as you load it in the UASD software, the format is upgraded to the current format (in other words, it can accept the old format but you can't go the other way.) I will admit that I wish the utility also grabbed conventional data (that was not an option when Paul wrote it); perhaps it is time that the utility was rewritten or updated. I guess after our next move, if no one else has done it, I will give it a shot.

However, Jim, that is a moot question for you as you cannot download from the DB in your present status.

STiMULi

I have 2 2006s that are programmed by hand. One of them has the OS456 in it but my copy of ScanStar went with a lightning strike.

BCT8 programmed by info input into ARC8

Pro96 progammed info input into Win96

BCD996T programmed using EXCEL, UASD and now the buggy beta ARC996

ARC does a pretty decent job of pulling data from the RR DB. Obviously I use SWFD as well :)

Soon we will have additional fields that will support a cleaner retrieval of data to scanner. we should see a field added for "Display" that will be associate with Alpha Tags. This field is already available for TGs in TRS.

As a group we will need to work together to decide for the benefit of all what makes sense for all areas of the state as far as these new fields go.

When I did a recent download of data into ARC996 I saw a bunch of stuff that made it hard to understand what the channels or TG's were used for because of the compression and truncation techniques that were used. I want to simplfy this as much as possible. See the "What Counties do you listen to?" thread to get an understanding on the process. I will be working on.

MOST OF ALL I WILL NEED YOUR HELP!!!
icon14.gif
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.