Arizona Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious as to why the Arizona Rangers were listed under Law-Tac and not Security or something similar. They aren't a law enforcement agency and are more of a chartered fraternal organization that "supports law enforcement". When Sheriff Paul Penzone spun off one of the Maricopa County Sheriff Posses, it was listed as security [Sun City Posse] in the DB.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I'm curious as to why the Arizona Rangers were listed under Law-Tac and not Security or something similar. They aren't a law enforcement agency and are more of a chartered fraternal organization that "supports law enforcement". When Sheriff Paul Penzone spun off one of the Maricopa County Sheriff Posses, it was listed as security [Sun City Posse] in the DB.

Have you already submitted your DB correction?

I don't disagree with the premise, but I think you're reading far too much into the service Tags in the database here. Not that much thought goes in to it. I don't think fellow database administrators do extensive historical research before selecting a Tag. I know I don't. There's a lot of gray.

If you know more about any particular DB entry than the administrator who worked it, just click submit. Doesn't even require a forum post. It's a volunteer-led function.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I don't expect too many people have read the Arizona Constitution, the history of the territorial Arizona Rangers, or know of the current iteration of the Arizona Rangers. I was just curious to see them show up here of all places.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
I don't expect too many people have read the Arizona Constitution, the history of the territorial Arizona Rangers, or know of the current iteration of the Arizona Rangers. I was just curious to see them show up here of all places.

They are now a law enforcement agency. To join its the same hiring process as for any post position. Many of their members are post certified now. Things changed in past few years. They have both VHF & UHF Freq. Last I heard they using DMR encryption.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
They are now a law enforcement agency. To join its the same hiring process as for any post position. Many of their members are post certified now. Things changed in past few years. They have both VHF & UHF Freq. Last I heard they using DMR encryption.

Last I saw, they were using Retevis or other Chinese portables.

Foresigt

You guys know nothing about the Ranger's communications. You are just guessing. Each Company does something different.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
You guys know nothing about the Ranger's communications. You are just guessing. Each Company does something different.

You are incorrect, they have used UV-5R in past. That was from their communication department some years ago wanting help for the UV-5R.

Now they be using newer radios. As you said each post can be different. If a post is using bad equipment, I wouldn't want my post following them.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber

Besides being a critic, you don't provide anything logical to the conversation that we didn't already know.

They wanted programming help, along with information to put up a repeater or two. Also information on portable repeaters. They have regular weekly security assignments they wanted coverage for.

Cost was a huge factor since members buy their own equipment. Most likely do portable repeater? They have the option join a trunked system... That would provide them immediate coverage, too expensive unless they receive loaner radios.

Foresigt

Well. the UV-5R isn't good for any place but ham radio. No part 90 and definitely not Public Safety. They wanted to try and use ham radio but of course that wasn't in compliance with the regulations.

If any of you guys were engaged with them you would know what is in the works. I am in the know but I don't divulge that kind of information as I am not a pert of them.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
No longer associated with them. I use professional radios for hobby. Not very interested in emergency comms anymore. I know my area taken care of with emergency services. Neighbor band together when things go crazy. It's happened few times here. We're happier merging as neighbors.

Rangers have somewhat absorbed my area after the MCSO Posse was somewhat disbanded. Besides one recruiting email, the AZ Rangers have been silent in my community even when crime went up. The Cave Creek post may not have taken off?

Azgunguy

They’re not LE nor are they using dmr encryption. None of their members are post certified. The hiring process is not stringent at all. They require members to get a CCW because their background checks aren’t very in depth at all. The rangers are about quantity not quality. I left the rangers within the last 6 months.

hulka

Gila River has Rangers. Are they just a different division of the PD as they have the same patch, just supped up off road vehicles.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Gila River has Rangers. Are they just a different division of the PD as they have the same patch, just supped up off road vehicles.

They are the Conservation and Wildlife officers of the Gila River Tribe. They are certified law enforcement and have no connection to the AZ Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.